MPlayer DVD performance
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    As kind of a follow up to an older thread of mine, I've recently discovered that, indeed, I can watch DVD with my Pegasos I G3.
    The difference is that now, I've found and tried a couple of commercial but unencrypted DVDs. I simply tell MPlayer to open a "VOD" file, and it works. How do I know that the DVD is not encrypted? Easy: I can actually copy it as a file. Encrypted ones can't be copied, a generic filesystem error is raised when attempted ("Volume x has a read/write error").
    My question is: The lack of performance came from the extra task of decrypting the file?
  • »20.04.07 - 15:03
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Not an answer, but did you try latest MPlayer already? It has cache2 buffering implemented, which will speed up DVD playback considerably.

http://fabportnawak.free.fr/mplayer/mplayer1.0rc1-svn.lha
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »20.04.07 - 15:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Stevo wrote:
    Not an answer, but did you try latest MPlayer already? It has cache2 buffering implemented, which will speed up DVD playback considerably.

http://fabportnawak.free.fr/mplayer/mplayer1.0rc1-svn.lha

Nice one! You know, this MorphOS thingie has so much separated developers that it's difficult to have up to date software. I've just downloaded it, and will try it at home. Until now, I was using "1.0 pre 4" version, if I remember correctly.
  • »20.04.07 - 16:05
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    jcmarcos,

1.0pre4 is now quite outdated.

Since mid-2005, AFAIK, I've been the only mplayer morphos maintainer (which consisted mainly in synchronizing to common mplayer tree and improving a bit morphos backend): there were 1.0pre7, pre8, 1.0rc1 (pre)releases and now some current svn snapshot with cache enabled, which allows to watch netstreams and dvd in better conditions.

But it's true that latest svn version didn't make it to morphzone news items tho even though it was submitted in many other news sites. Do you know many other versions of mplayer for morphos, BTW?
  • »20.04.07 - 18:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Fab

We are all grateful for your work in maintaining both Mplayer and Mame for us. :-)

You are a hero. So what is the latest MOS version and where can we get it please? Thank you

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »20.04.07 - 22:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    See the URL above...
  • »21.04.07 - 01:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    @Fab
    Quote:

Do you know many other versions of mplayer for morphos, BTW?

Personally, i only know yours.

This is a bit off-topic but i was wondering if you could add audio support for 3gp files. They are still fairly popular and only the video stream is played with your port of MPlayer.
    Quote:

Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
    Cannot find codec 'amr_nb' in libavcodec...
    ADecoder init failed :(
    ADecoder init failed :(
    Cannot find codec for audio format 0x726D6173.
    Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
    Audio: no sound
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »21.04.07 - 02:46
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    amr support needs additional sources, that's why it's disabled, I'll try to add it.

However, if you can point me to some 3gp sample with amr audio codec, that would be handy.
  • »21.04.07 - 12:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    Quote:

amr support needs additional sources, that's why it's disabled, I'll try to add it.

That would be great. :-)

Quote:

However, if you can point me to some 3gp sample with amr audio codec, that would be handy.

Every 3gp file i have tried is soundless on mplayer for MOS (and i have tried many files) and this means that: a)All 3gp files are using the same audio codec. b)All 3gp audio codecs are not supported by mplayer for MOS.
    You can find many 3gp's in these links:
    http://www.free-3gp-video.com/
    http://www.bestmobileworld.com/funnyvideos/

[ Edited by AmigaMancer on 2007/4/21 22:05 ]
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »21.04.07 - 21:02
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Fab:

Would it be possible to add amr (and aac and 3gp) to Mencoder, too?
  • »21.04.07 - 23:38
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    any codec added to mplayer is also added to mencoder anyway. But it's boring to compile shitloads of external libs. :)
  • »21.04.07 - 23:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

My question is: The lack of performance came from the extra task of decrypting the file?

Could answer this common question, I'll try to put it in a simple way...

When you play files from disc (be it .vob files or whatever), they're accessed via filesystem.

When playing dvd with -dvd (or however it was on newer mplayer versions) mplayer accesses the video without filesystem in between. This is the difference and the bit that was earlier too slow due to lack of caching.
  • »22.04.07 - 19:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:

When playing dvd with -dvd, mplayer accesses the video without filesystem in between. This is the difference and the bit that was earlier too slow due to lack of caching.

Aha. I have to try again with the "dvd" option. By the way, is there any documentation about the MorphOS specific options, aside from "readme.morphos" file? I've started to read the original MPlayer docs, but this program does so many things, that it's an exhausting read! Particularly, I'm afraid of doing things wrong, because the "help" option in MorphOS version does not show all the information that this option shows in Win32 version.

Another question: What's that "No ICDT acceleration found"? I don't remember the message exactly. Does MPlayer actually look for available hardware acceleration aids?

[ Edited by jcmarcos on 2007/4/23 8:02 ]
  • »23.04.07 - 07:47
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    There aren't other specific morphos options, except those listed in readme.morphos. And what are the additional options you see in win32 port? They are probably not that useful. MorphOS port more or less displays the same help as unix port.
  • »23.04.07 - 12:54
    Profile Visit Website