Optimizing AHI
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    I resist to admit that my G3 is totally unable to play commercial DVDs with the FABulous MPlayer, and I wanted to try every possible trick to accomplish it.
    As of now, I've been only able to play DVDs nicely, but with sound disabled.
    Recently, I was told that it's wise to configure AHI for it not to resample the audio coming from DVD source, as it eats precious resources. What should I do?
    I already have the latest AHI update from the MorphOS FTP.
  • »08.03.07 - 12:30
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    when talking about ahi itself, there is possibility to use hifi quality and normal quality (it's a long time, i have played with ahi settings), and i also remember, that on Amiga was the hifi mode too cpu intensive, but it was on pegasos recomended to use it, as it's as fast, as normal mode... but what would be the difference then? perhaps this is the resampling, you are talking about... but these are only user sights...

bye, MarK.
  • »08.03.07 - 13:01
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

I resist to admit that my G3 is totally unable to play commercial DVDs with the FABulous MPlayer, and I wanted to try every possible trick to accomplish it.
    As of now, I've been only able to play DVDs nicely, but with sound disabled.

Well, unfortunately I can tell you that you can probably forget about that for now (or atleast until (if ever) the MorphOS version of MPlayer is rewritten (don't expect this to happen)), the reason is outlined somewhere else here on MZ atleast twice by me (search for it)...

Quote:

Recently, I was told that it's wise to configure AHI for it not to resample the audio coming from DVD source, as it eats precious resources. What should I do?

You don't have to worry about that unless you use the ahi_dev output (which isn't the default afaik), in which case all you have to do is configure Unit 0 as a 16bit ++ mode at 48kHz (which btw, will cause other apps using this unit with other frequencies to resample, so beware)...

Quote:

I already have the latest AHI update from the MorphOS FTP.

You should get the official update here instead...

- CISC
  • »08.03.07 - 13:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    hmmm

with frameskip enabled you should be able to play some dvds ok... i seem to remember playing back dvd on g3 with some framdropping

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »08.03.07 - 19:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

with frameskip enabled you should be able to play some dvds ok... i seem to remember playing back dvd on g3 with some framdropping

Sure, -framedrop (which btw is necessary to ensure proper playback even with G4) is a must, however on a G3 this will only allow you to view middle-to-low bitrate DVDs (which admittedly is a few, but don't expect big special editions to work) .. higher bitrate DVDs will eventually choke (usually with a "too many video packets in buffer" error (and then "a52 resampling error" causing audio to loop)), being the effect of MPlayer simply not being able to process enough packets in time (because they are read only one at a time with no buffering whatsoever on MorphOS)...

- CISC
  • »08.03.07 - 22:02