*** Announce *** betatesters needed
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hello all!
    I am going to develop a small commercial project soon which involves PIC microcontroller programming. I will do it on MorphOS so i'll need a PIC programming package.
    I will solve this task with devpic package found on Aminet. However currently it uses PIC programmer hardware on classic Amiga's parallel port.
    For the purpose of porting this package and giving many hobby electronics stuff a way to MorphOS i am going to develop a replacement parallel port driver for MorphOS with extended capabilities.
    The goals are:
    1. Complete functional reimplementation of AmigaOS parallel.device, working for both input and output using the same protocols as on classic Amiga.
    2. Extended API allowing direct sofrware control of every signal on the port.
    3. Support for both onboard Pegasos parallel port and add-on PCI parallel port cards (i have one from NetMOS and i'm going to use it).
    Notes for MorphOS development team:
    1) This driver will be able to replace existing parallel.device however this will not be forced and will be controlled via user preferences. A user will be able to switch it off leaving original parallel.device to control an internal port and new 1284parallel.device to control only PCI cards.
    2) I know about some hidden functionality in MorphOS parallel.device (like ECP mode) and i can reimplement this too, however i'm in doubt someone uses it...
    3) I am going to promote my extended API specification so you are suggested to take it into official development. ;-)
    I post this here because i don't have a parallel port printer so i need betatesters for the project. I expect a first version to arrive in 1-2 weeks. Everyone who wishes to take part in betatesting please mail me at sonic_amiga@rambler.ru. Authors/porters of different hardware projects (home electronics control, external LCDs, ROM programmers, etc) are also welcome.
    The project will be hosted either on unmorphos CVS or AROS subversion (the driver will be developed also for AROS), this is still under consideration.
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »22.12.06 - 06:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Hi Sonic,

Parallel printer, i can test that. For now my printer is not connected to the Pegasos II.
    There is not much space at my table. In time, i want print again and can test then your
    parallel device.

Grts, Amigaharry
    http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/ex
  • »27.12.06 - 13:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Unfortunately because of XMas preparations i was unable to produce a first beta. In fact it's ready but i haven't run it yet.
    I am on vacation until 23th and will disappear for this perion because i can access the Internet only at work.
    However i plan to use this time to advance in all my project. Wait for post-XMas updates.
    Marry Christmas to all!

P.S. Thanks to Amigaharry, my DV cam is repaired and works perfectly ok. I'm going to continue with IEEE1394.

[ Edited by Sonic on 2006/12/29 16:04 ]
  • »29.12.06 - 06:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I have a brother 1440 laser printer that has a parallell port connection on it. It worked on the old drivers sort of so it should be a good choice to try for your new one. Let me know if I can help. I also have a new printer, but its only USB or network connection.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »29.12.06 - 16:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    I've got an old Epson par port printer that I could test with, IIRC there are at least Turboprint drivers for it. It's one of those 1520 wide printers,it'll do an 11x17 page :-) That should stress the parallel port and its' driver :-)
  • »22.01.07 - 06:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hello!
    A first beta is ready and i hope i'll deliver it tomorrow.
  • »23.01.07 - 06:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I'm ready to deliver a beta version however i won't put it on the web because it can be extremely buggy and unstable. I'll make a public release only when the things will settle up.
    Please give me your email addresses (especially Acill and Tronman).
  • »24.01.07 - 08:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    Oh, sorry, it is

tronman AT centurytel DOT net

Of course, that means I'll have to get that old printer out of mothballs :-O
  • »29.01.07 - 20:05
    Profile Visit Website