New graphics drivers for MorphOS?
  • Just looking around
    You maybe already noticed that Radeon 9250 familly is out of production and hard to find in stores. So, I would like to know when can we expect drivers for new generation of graphic cards and mybe also for more different types not just radeon xxxx familly but also for Xxxx and maybe also nVidia?
  • »25.10.06 - 15:03
    hooligan
    I think this is a major problem novadays.. the situation if pretty f_ucked to say at least. The supported cards are as good as non-existant if you want to buy them as new. Maybe the MOS-team have a couple of aces on their sleeve.. time will tell :-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »25.10.06 - 15:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

You maybe already noticed that Radeon 9250 familly is out of production and hard to find in stores.

Uhm, no? Where did you get this info from? ATI is also not the only ones producing Radeons, and f.ex. Radeon 7000 is still being churned out in quite sizeable volumes (because it's cheap and easy to make)...

In other words; it's quite easy to find a compatible Radeon in most stores still (and probably for many years to come). And should that well ever run dry there's always plenty to be found second or even third hand. ;)

Quote:

So, I would like to know when can we expect drivers for new generation of graphic cards and mybe also for more different types not just radeon xxxx familly but also for Xxxx and maybe also nVidia?

Support for nvidia is not very likely due to quite a number of circumstances, however support for the remaining Radeon xxxx series is quite likely. The Xxxx series is less likely though, most of all due to the lack of PCI/AGP versions (yes, I know they exist for some models).

- CISC
  • »25.10.06 - 15:42
    hooligan
    Indeed I managed to find 9250 available from out local store at price of 37 euros. So not all hope is lost ;-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »25.10.06 - 15:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Quote:

[...]however support for the remaining Radeon xxxx series is quite likely.

That is a very good notice. In my opinion, the radeon 9600 series, have powerful gpus, and the reduced price, made them sell as hot pies... I have one myself in my pc.
  • »25.10.06 - 21:29
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

That is a very good notice. In my opinion, the radeon 9600 series, have powerful gpus, and the reduced price, made them sell as hot pies... I have one myself in my pc.

Well, unfortunately I have some bad news in that regard .. we've tested a number of the Radeon xxxx series cards, and as of yet we have not found a 9600 card that works (not even OFW output, so chances are it will never work)... :P

- CISC
  • »26.10.06 - 09:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    @CISC

have you informed bPlan about this issue? A firmware update should be enough...

Being a serious developer like you they'll probably listen your suggestions. Or at least talk about this to Ralph, maybe he's in contact with the firmware coders.
  • »26.10.06 - 10:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    9600 and 9800 work fine in Pegasos. Firmware doesn't need an update; it works fine too.

The problem may be voltage requirements of the card; some 9600s produced have a universal or 3.3V key for AGP, but actually require something else. Bad card design.

However I can definitely say, my 9600 and 9800 PRO came up just fine in firmware, then Linux.
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »26.10.06 - 11:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Perhaps there are some different revisions on 9600 chips? I don't know much about this, but if it is a voltage problem, It won't be easily soft-fixed, will it?
  • »26.10.06 - 13:43
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    @Neko

Could you please tell us which is the Brand of those cards? Maybe BigFoot could find it interesting... :-)
  • »26.10.06 - 16:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

@Crumb
    have you informed bPlan about this issue? A firmware update should be enough...

It's not an OFW issue, it's simply a case of the card not working in the Pegasos' AGP slot .. I mentioned OFW because if a card doesn't work in OFW you're stuffed either way.

Quote:

@Neko
    The problem may be voltage requirements of the card; some 9600s produced have a universal or 3.3V key for AGP, but actually require something else. Bad card design.

Ofcourse this is the problem, and this particular issue seems for some reason prevalent in 9600 models...

Quote:

However I can definitely say, my 9600 and 9800 PRO came up just fine in firmware, then Linux.

Doesn't help us much now does it? ;)

Quote:

@amiades
    It won't be easily soft-fixed, will it?

Not software fixable at all actually. :P

Quote:

@Crumb
    Could you please tell us which is the Brand of those cards? Maybe BigFoot could find it interesting...

Bigfoot would probably find it more interesting if someone sent him a working 9600, however since it seems very few 9600s work it would be more interesting for users to know exactly which has any chance of working at all to begin with...

- CISC
  • »26.10.06 - 18:45
  • tom
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    tom
    Well, I bought a 9250 with 256 MB this morning for 34 Euro's. And there were still 6 on the shelf....
    It was the second shop I visit.

regards Tom
  • »27.10.06 - 15:24