Joliet & rockridge...
  • Just looking around
    Error
    hi folks,

its been quite some time now since the problem started; the problem is, mos cdfs automatically selects joliet over rockridge, thus causing some compatibility issues (i.e. the comments are not available, as well as file protection bits).

i was curious if someone knows the cure for the problem. the bad side is that the file names will get cut by windows if no joliet extension is present, but again, the fact that disc carries joliet extension makes it impossible to use amiga extensions.

any idea how to handle the problem?

thanks
    tom.
  • »21.09.06 - 10:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

its been quite some time now since the problem started; the problem is, mos cdfs automatically selects joliet over rockridge

You mean it didn't always do this on the same discs? Or you mean it started doing this on the discs you burn recently?

Quote:

thus causing some compatibility issues (i.e. the comments are not available, as well as file protection bits).

Are you sure this means Joliet is selected? The same thing would happen if you burn RockRidge without Amiga extensions.

Usually RockRidge has precedence over Joliet, if this is no longer the case for you it would suggest that whatever program you are using to burn your CDs is creating faulty or otherwise unrecognizeable RockRidge data...

- CISC
  • »21.09.06 - 17:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ Error

My units (DVD reader and DVD writer) are accessed as CD0: and CD1: by MorphOS CDFS.

I was never able to read Amiga file comments and Amiga protection bits with this filesystem.

So when I want to access comments and protection bits I simply mount two new logical units CD2: and CD3:, associated to the same physical units, but using CacheCDFS as filesystem. You need to put CacheCDFS (or even AmiCDFS that is freely available on Aminet) in L:, and create a MountList in DEVS: (then this needs a "Mount CD2: CD3: from DEVS:MountList" command in a shell) or specific clickable mountfiles in DEVS:DOSDrivers (if you are an "icon-only" user).

I never had problems with both filesystems working together.

@ CISC

I presume MorphOS CDFS is able to read usual RockRidge extensions, but does not recognize ISOAmiga RockRidge extensions introduced by Angela Schmidt and used, for instance, by MakeCD and FryingPan.

[ Edited by DoctorMorbius_FP on 2006/9/21 20:47 ]
    Powered by PegasosII-G4, MacMini, PowerMac MDD.
  • »21.09.06 - 18:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

I was never able to read Amiga file comments and Amiga protection bits with this filesystem.

I don't see why not, it should work just fine.

Quote:

I presume MorphOS CDFS is able to read usual RockRidge extensions, but does not recognize ISOAmiga RockRidge extensions introduced by Angela Schmidt and used, for instance, by MakeCD and FryingPan.

No, it's the other way around. Amiga comments have been working properly since 3.24 (before that they came out as trash, and 1.4.5 comes with 3.42), protection bits have worked since always afaik.

MakeCD burned CDs with the latest makecdromfs.module work just fine here, I frequently burn CDs with both Joliet and Amiga RR, and never encountered any problems reading them, including comments and protection bits .. dunno about FryingPan as I've never tried it.

- CISC
  • »22.09.06 - 01:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    Btw, would be great if MOS would show CDDA's icons to provide acces to audio tracks as to normal data tracks. Also showing mixed CD's icons (data + audio) would be nice. Dreams... ? :-)
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »22.09.06 - 09:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ CISC

Sorry, what I reported was 50% wrong. I'm using DVDs for data backups since too much time!

Tried some CDs and Amiga file comments and protection bits are read by MorphOS CDFS.

But there are problems with DVDs.

The latest versions of FryingPan are able to put Amiga file comments and protection bits on DVDs, and CacheCDFS reads them while MorphOS CDFS doesn't.

Where is the wrong behaviour? In FryingPan or in MorphOS CDFS?

@ r-tea

Install CDDA-FileSystem by Uwe Ryssel (Aminet:disk/cdrom/CDDA-FileSystem.lha).

CDDA-FileSystem is a filesystem for CDDA tracks. It creates a DOS volume that contains an audio file for each audio track on CD. The audio file format can be RAW, AIFF and WAVE.
  • »22.09.06 - 16:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

@r-tea:
    Btw, would be great if MOS would show CDDA's icons to provide acces to audio tracks as to normal data tracks.

cdrive2 (MorphOS 1.5) does that.

Quote:

@DoctorMorbius_FP:
    The latest versions of FryingPan are able to put Amiga file comments and protection bits on DVDs, and CacheCDFS reads them while MorphOS CDFS doesn't.

Are you sure they are really Amiga comments and protection bits? They could be standard RockRidge comments/bits, which cdrive doesn't support (and CacheCDFS might convert).

Quote:

Where is the wrong behaviour? In FryingPan or in MorphOS CDFS?

Hard to tell without a sample CD, but my guess is that FryingPan doesn't actually burn Amiga RockRidge, but rather plain RockRidge instead...

- CISC
  • »22.09.06 - 16:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ CISC

Quote:
    Are you sure they are really Amiga comments and protection bits? They could be standard RockRidge comments/bits, which cdrive doesn't support (and CacheCDFS might convert).

No, I do not know how I could answer this question. But I will ask Tomasz Wiszkowski, the author of FryingPan, and can send you a DVD.

[ Edited by DoctorMorbius_FP on 2006/9/22 20:22 ]
  • »22.09.06 - 20:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    @ DoctorMorbius_FP
    Quote:

Quote:

No, I do not know how I could answer this question. But I will ask Tomasz Wiszkowski, the author of FryingPan, and can send you a DVD.

And what are the results?
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »05.11.06 - 00:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ r-tea

Actually I completely forgot this subject. :roll:

(Well, the CacheCDFS trick works fine, so this was a low priority issue for me...)

But now that the problem has emerged again, I will write this e-mail and ask Tomasz (I also have a few requirements about some minor capabilities that may be inserted in Frying Pan, so there is more motivation this time). Let's hope I do not forget again! :-D

[ Edited by DoctorMorbius_FP on 2006/11/5 12:58 ]