Disk Validation - help!
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Hi

Just recently I've received a visit from the disk validator :(

Does anyone have tips for solving this problem ?
    I tried backing up the partition but now I can't format it - when I click on the format disk button in the Ambient requestor I get a freeze.

thanks in advance

koan
  • »30.08.06 - 23:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    I would recommend changing to a filesystem that doesn't invalidate itself (SFS for example). But well, different people have different opinions on what is the best (least bad) filesystem.

Have you tried formatting it from the shell? It's possible it's only some Ambient thing that causes the freeze.

If this doesn't work, and you want to stick with FFS, I would still recommend switching to SFS (in the disk partition utility in sys:tools whose name I can never remember). Then quick format it. Then change it back in less you don't want to use SFS. And then try (quick) formatting it again.
  • »31.08.06 - 00:22
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Is the disk still validating when you try format?
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »31.08.06 - 00:27
    hooligan
    Yeah.. on bigger partitions it takes ages to validate.

I recommend PFS3 btw, I'm sure you can still purchase it somewhere. Has worked like a dream, but with SFS I had major problems (probably IBrowse related).
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »31.08.06 - 04:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    When I try to format, the LED is off and disk activity seems to have stopped. This would seem to mean that validation is finished (and failed).

I want to be able to mount the partition from Linux, that's why I'm using FFS. Now I will consider splitting it into a smaller "transfer" partition and using SFS for the rest. I don't think an SFS module exists for Linux.

By the way, when I mount the invalidated partition in Linux, it will only do so as a read only volume, presumably AFFS detects the status.

thanks for the tips

koan
  • »31.08.06 - 12:48
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    Just a question: did u try with sfsdoctor http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~mszyprow/programy/sfsdoctor ?

Anyway, I regularly manage to mount and dismount SFS partition under my Debian Linux (Sarge) - Linux pegasos 2.6.12-1-powerpc with the following sintax:
    mount -t asfs /dev/hdxx /mnt

I hope this will help u...

__
    AKiLL
  • »31.08.06 - 13:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Hi AKiLL

My problem is an invalid partition that is FFS not SFS; unless you are saying sfsdoctor fixes FFS ?

Thanks for the info about ASFS, I wasn't aware of that.

koan
  • »31.08.06 - 16:57
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    ...Ops! Sorry koan! It was my fault! Obviously, I misunderstood your prob :-?

BTW! I found the info "about SFS partition mounting under Debian Linux" at this site: http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN2739.pdf
    At page n. 27-28 of that doc you can read the details...
    On freescale web page there're available other .pdf docs concerning Pegasos and Linux... :-)

Bye,
    __
    AKiLL

[ Edited by AKiLL on 2006/8/31 17:45 ]
  • »31.08.06 - 17:37