Reggae updated
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    'sowt' codec of AIFC (Audio IFF Compressed) sound format is a clever way Apple invented to store little-endian (WAVE style) samples into an AIFF file (which is big-endian by specification). Then 'sowt' gives no compression, just tells that samples need to be byteswapped. As audiopcm.decoder supports it already (it is even AltiVec accelerated), it was enough to add AIFC support to aiff.demuxer 51.7 and set appropriate data format on output port.

AIFC support is general, so other, "real" codecs can be supported if there is a demand.

New aiff.demuxer can be downloaded from Reggae home page.
  • »07.08.08 - 10:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    audio.output 51.11

An old bug has been fixed, the class crashed when an object could not be created for any reason (usually the cause was exclusive AHI use by some application). Version 51.11 fixes the issue.

zxscreen.demuxer 51.3

The class has been extended with support of ZX Interface 1 screen dumps and ZX82 emulator screen dumps.

Both classes are available at MorphOS Files.
  • »19.05.09 - 05:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    MPEG when?
  • »19.05.09 - 07:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    mpeg video ?
    reggae still doesn't support animation so it is not possible.

mpg audio (mp3) decoder is easy to make using mpega.library. Maybe Krashan wants to write it with his own algorithms.

[ Edited by zukow on 2009/5/19 15:28 ]
  • »19.05.09 - 13:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    New release of MediaLogger. Key features:
    - The application is now localized. Polish catalog only for now, but catalog descriptor is included.
    - Installation script.
    - Improved keyboard control, tab cycles, a few more hotkeys.
    Available on MorphOS Files.

I've also updated my Reggae blog if anyone is interested (archive here).
  • »24.05.09 - 08:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    A new audio demultiplexer used for AMOS sound banks. While trivial from the point of viev of signal processing, it is an interesting case for Reggae itself. This is the first audio format supporting multiple samples in one stream. Then, similarly as winicon.demuxer does, this class creates objects with multiple output ports, one for each sample in the bank. Download from MorphOS Files.
  • »25.05.09 - 06:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @krashan

thanks for reggae, it's really cool :) keep up the good work!! :)
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »27.05.09 - 03:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    multimedia.class 52.13[list]Added two helper methods for class implementors: MMM_PrePull() and MMM_PostPull(). Using them in a class saves about a kilobyte of code :-).[/list][list]Added a separete memory lict semaphore, so one can use Reggae memory allocation functions inside MMM_Setup(). One of new incoming classes needs it.[/list]
    zxscreen.decoder 51.2[list]The first class to use PrePull()/PostPull() helpers.[/list][list]Because of this added multimedia.class 52.13+ check at initialization.[/list][list]Binary is shorter. ;-)[/list]

Available at MorphOS Files.
  • »28.05.09 - 20:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    multimedia.class 52.14

This time helper methods for implementing seek in subclasses. PreSeek/PostSeek pair has similar purpose as PrePull/PostPull. They do all the framework "bookkeeping", parameters verification, detection of seek past end of stream, method forwarding along the pipeline, log messages and so on. What is also important, PreSeek implements automatic "seek-by-read" fallback for not seekable data sources. Then a subclass implementor may be sure he can always perform forward seek in his demuxer/decoder, even for streams like http.stream (which is not seekable).

multiread.buffer 51.5

No functional changes, just uses pull and seek helpers in the new multimedia.class, it requires multimedia.class 52.14+ for this reason. Updated documentation.

Both classes available at MorphOS Files.
  • »12.06.09 - 05:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    @ Krashan

I noticed yesterday that when using the new multimedia.class 52.14 and the multiread.buffer 51.5 the
    complete systems freezes at some time. No idea why though...

I think the 1st time it happend was when I was trying to delete files in an directory, one of the files could
    not be deleted and I got an 202 error that the file is still in use, I cancelled the error, after that the system
    was frozen and I had to reset. Later on I noticed that even the mouse froze when I tried to open e. g. the
    system partition... Running Snoopium at the same time doesn't show anything special though...

I replaced these 2 files by the original ones from MorphOS 2.2 and the problem was gone.

Regards

Christoph
  • »16.06.09 - 04:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I think the 1st time it happend was when I was trying to delete files in an directory, one of the files could not be deleted and I got an 202 error that the file is still in use, I cancelled the error, after that the system was frozen and I had to reset.

I have not been able to reproduce this behaviour. Then I either need a 100% reproducable way to trigger the crash, or a crashlog (or both preferrably). I've created a directory, copied some files into it. Then I've opened one of them in multiview and tried to delete them all with Ambient. Of course I've got #202 error, cancelled it and nothing happened. Debuglog was empty.

EDIT:
    I've found some similar issue, which may be really a bug in Reggae (or Ambient). Reggae will crash the system after doubleclick on an empty (0 bytes) file. Will be fixed ASAP.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2009/6/16 13:52 ]
  • »16.06.09 - 11:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:

EDIT:
    I've found some similar issue, which may be really a bug in Reggae (or Ambient). Reggae will crash the system after doubleclick on an empty (0 bytes) file. Will be fixed ASAP.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2009/6/16 13:52 ]

:-) great that you have found that! I was already thinking that it could be because of Envoy3 that I'm using for LAN
    because I copied the files fist from a LAN partition to a local partition and then I tried to delete on the local partition.

I know exactely what I did and how I did it to produce the crash, so let me know I can test the new version.

Regards

Christoph
  • »17.06.09 - 05:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    The bug with Ambient crashing after doubleclick on empty file seem to be not directly related to the new classes, but new classes could trigger it. The real bug is hidden in wave.demuxer. When its format recognition routine tries to feed the first 4 bytes of file, it falls into an endless loop, when the file is shorter than 4 bytes.

Try to check if your problem is related. Delete (or move somewhere) wave.demuxer from MOSSYS:Classes/Multimedia, reboot and try to retrigger the bug. You can also run MediaLogger in the background and try to capture its latest error messages.
  • »17.06.09 - 10:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:
    The bug with Ambient crashing after doubleclick on empty file seem to be not directly related to the new classes, but new classes could trigger it. The real bug is hidden in wave.demuxer. When its format recognition routine tries to feed the first 4 bytes of file, it falls into an endless loop, when the file is shorter than 4 bytes.

Try to check if your problem is related. Delete (or move somewhere) wave.demuxer from MOSSYS:Classes/Multimedia, reboot and try to retrigger the bug. You can also run MediaLogger in the background and try to capture its latest error messages.

Ok, even that I deleted the wave.demuxer the same error gets produced, as soon as I enter the directory the system blocks and I have to reset. I made 2 logs, one is with the old multimedia.class, multimedia.buffer and wave.demuxer and with this no problem, the other log has only new multimedia.class and multimedia.buffer, no wave.demuxer.

I send you the logs to your e-mail.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Regards

Christoph
  • »17.06.09 - 16:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    @Krashan,

Last friday I downloaded your 2 last updates, multimedia.class 52.14 and muliread.buffer 51.5, and I installed them in mossys:classes/multimedia over the original ones. On sunday or saturday I remarqued that I could not reach to env: and envarc: directories in a lister, I got freezes from morphos and/or ambient. After reading rms problems I reinstalled multimedia.class 52.11 and multiread.buffer 51.4 from morphos 2.2 iso, then I rebooted my computer. After morphos loading I tried again to reach env: and envarc:, no more freezes, no more problems.

I hope that my report will help you to find a workaround with these reggae parts.

Brumiga
  • »17.06.09 - 20:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    This thread started in 2007 and now we are in 2009.

Still no any software using Reggae except Sputnik and AmiGift?

It will be interesting to see one or two little demo applications to show the developers in a clear way, how much powerful is Reggae...

Dunno...

A little Youtube FLV player... A Stock Market Exchange news reader, an RSS Feed reader, or so on...
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »18.06.09 - 07:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Multiview.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »18.06.09 - 11:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    @Raf_MegaByte:

These applications won't write themselves. I plan however to use Reggae in MorphOS version of DigiBooster 3. You may also expect a series of Reggae programming tutorials with example code. The first one is almost finished and will be about incoming xpk.demuxer (transparent support of XPK compressed streams). There are more tutorials planned (including ones about writing own classes). I also have a plan to ressurect SoundTool application, but I may have no time for this.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2009/6/18 13:04 ]
  • »18.06.09 - 11:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    @Brumiga:

This bug is probably the same one as RMS reported. It has been already fixed, and I've sent updated classes to RMS for verification. I will put fixed multimedia.class and multiread.buffer on MorphOS Files as soon as he confirms the bug is gone.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2009/6/18 13:05 ]
  • »18.06.09 - 12:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    The bug in multimedia.class 52.14 is fixed finally. I've uploaded three updated classes:

multimedia.class 52.15
    multiread.buffer 51.6
    zxscreen.decoder 51.3

to MorphOS Files. Note that two last ones check for multimedia.class 52.15+ and won't work with older versions. Zxscreen.decoder has to be updated because it is the first class using newly introduced methods. All other classes should work (and work, at least on my two machines) without any modifications, including wave.demuxer.
  • »19.06.09 - 06:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    This time I have a brand new class, named xpk.demuxer. This class adds transparent support of XPK packed data streams to Reggae. It means all currently existing and future classes will be able to fetch content from any XPK compressed stream (not only a file, but also data in memory and from any other *.stream class). The class may be also used as a nice wrapper on xpkmaster.library. For the first time the class is accompanied not only with autodoc but also a tutorial for programmers, containing example programs. The class may be downloaded from MorphOS Files.
  • »23.06.09 - 12:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    I know you'll find this redundant, but still I have to say it: This tutorial is VERY GOOD. If only all Amiga programming tools were this well documented...
  • »24.06.09 - 06:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    After I've found a couple of bugs in xpk.demuxer, I've decided to update it to version 51.2. There is no new functionality, just following bugs have been fixed:
    - The class really checks for 52.15+ multimedia.class now.
    - XPK passthrough feature has been disabled accidentally.
    - MMM_Pull method was not adjusted to multimedia.class 52.15+ MMM_PrePull.
    Download.
  • »25.06.09 - 19:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    small update for my ilbm.demuxer:

http://brain.umcs.lublin.pl/~rzookol/download/iffilbm.demuxer-51.3.lha

while reading it doesn't look for pad byte for odd chunk lenght - fixed (it should fix reading iffs from showgirls)

for my other reggae classes and other crap soft look:
    http://brain.umcs.lublin.pl/~rzookol/download/
  • »02.01.10 - 18:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Multiview crashes when attempting to show a JFIF picture and having jpeg.decoder and jpeg.demuxer installed. Anyone experience the same or not?

(MorphOS 2.4, jpeg.decoder 51.5, jpeg.demuxer 51.1)
  • »28.03.10 - 17:14