Problems with MorphOS freezing corner
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    I have been writing here that my soundproblems is fixed. But they haven`t. They are just less than before. Changing my RAM from TwinMOS to Crucial was good thing.

Well, this is my PegasosII specs:

Pegasos II G3 600MHz PPC,
    ATI Radeon 9200SE,
    Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1,
    Crucial 512mb RAM,
    Samsung 120GB HD,
    LG 48x/16x/48x CD-RW

I have problems with crashing when I am playing any sound. Or any programs that uses sound as hardware. I dont know if its hardware related or what. But what I do know..

MorphOS ... crashing, freezing, strange errors etc
    GentooPPC Linux... crashing, freezing, strange errors etc

It all happends when playing music. Can this be my HD? As thats the last thing I can think off? Or?

In Linux it works as in MorphOS very nicely until I start mplayer or anything else using sound. Then after 5 mins, Linux just freezes. Sometimes I can get out to the console, other times I have to cold reboot my PegasosII to get it to work again. And then in the end I corrupted my Gentoo startup and kinda left Linux scene ;p though I will try Ubuntu sometime soon.

Gunne have looked at it, upgrading the firmware for me and more. Cleaning my motherboard etc.. but it didnt help. So,...

Is there any other people here on MorphZone that got the same problem as me? Please be spesific if you have strange MorphOS freezes. Its like I am scared to write this now, as I have mp3 song going on in the background and never know when MorphOS freezes ;(

So, before it freezes.. please help!...
  • »07.08.06 - 13:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Morphdelf

Pull the SB card and try the internal sound in Linux and report back. IHMO the internal sound sounds better/richer bass than the sb card anyway... Peg2 has no sound issues like the peg1 due to Articia.

Do yourself a favour and use Ubuntu dapper for your peg2 - most everything works out of the box.

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »07.08.06 - 22:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    The same thing happends with the internal sound.
  • »07.08.06 - 22:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hmm not good, and you tried changing ram??

Have you checked out the serial debug output?

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »07.08.06 - 23:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    No, I havent. But since I have 512mb RAM I use getramdebuglog to get the log.

Here is my latest crash:
    http://home.powertech.no/micbergs/grabb/morphos.txt

Its crashing at the same point with internal sound and when using sb live.
  • »08.08.06 - 01:27
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    It does indicate that it could be a non-functional memorymodule.. sure you weren't just very very VERY unfortunate with both sticks? I had a bit similar problem on my Windoze-PC when I added another (identical) Kingstom ram-module. Alone both were working just fine, but together not..replaced the new Kingston to some other and voila, all problems gone. Of course my problems weren't related to sound (btw are you 100% yours are?)

Have you also tried to put the memory to another socket? Or filling the whole ram disk with stuff straight from cd-boot? Or using some heavy cpu consuming software like rendering with Cinema 4D without first starting any audio-applications?
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »08.08.06 - 05:05
    Profile Visit Website