Installing Linux on Peg 1
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Hope this is the right forum...if not be kind :-?
    Machine Peg1(last rev Art) with 600M G3, 1Gb, Radeon 9000, and everything else using onboard. Have been unable to load any Linux CDs except Gentoo 2006.1. Able to follow gentoo instructions until compiling kernel and I keep getting "Segmentation Fault" errors. I have turned off dma and set mem to 768. Any suggestions?
    Have tried YDL, Niktarix, and Sarge and they all freeze when trying to load. Help! :-?
  • »03.07.06 - 19:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    Hi,
    download the bootcd from luther (just google for it or search this board).
    It will install debian, which you can upgrade to later kernel.
    To get X running, there is some tweaking required,so you best install first without X ...
    I failed to run gentoo or yellow dog on my peg, but debian is the godfather of all linux anyway.
    ..unfortunately the gui to install packages is not that great...
  • »03.07.06 - 20:25
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Thanks for the reply. Luther's bootcd is the "Sarge" I refer to that will not boot. When booting the spinning | disappears and locks the machine with a flashing underscore. Any ideas what the correct parameters are for booting? I can get the path correct and use mem=768M and nodma but it still locks. :-/
  • »03.07.06 - 21:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    AFAIK Linux on Peg1 only supports 256 MByte RAM.

Also, there are only a few Linux-Distributions which work on Peg1, Debian and Gentoo for example.

[ Edited by analogkid on 2006/7/4 8:45 ]
  • »04.07.06 - 09:43
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Ah...got it loading, now a new problem. IT keeps freezing/locking up during the installing of the system - always at the copying of the kernel. Can't even go to one of the other terminals! Any ideas? Anyone?
  • »04.07.06 - 15:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    With the fully revised Articia it is a 1 Gb limit, so I set mine to just below at 768M.
  • »04.07.06 - 15:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    try to use mem=256m ( or similar) to limit the amount of RAM.for debian.

You could also try to hd-install the gentoo-Boot-DVD, which boots well on PEG1, except for running X.
  • »04.07.06 - 18:17
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I've never got Gentoo installed. Although it seems to work in beginning, it crashes here sooner or later in installation process. I have working Debian installation, but it was made at the time when Sven's netinstall cd worked fine. Anyway I think you could install Debian if you know what you do :) Remember that Peg1 has limit for boot image around the 4M of file size and that restricts many Linux distributions to boot. You'll probably need custom boot image for them... I'd also try with 256M mem..
  • »04.07.06 - 18:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Code:
    Ah...got it loading, now a new problem. IT keeps freezing/locking up during the installing of the system - always at the copying of the kernel. Can't even go to one of the other terminals! Any ideas? Anyone?

you have to copy the kernel image (vmlinuz) generated by sven for peg1 by hand in your FFS/boot partition. I suppose you can find it in the installation CD.
  • »04.07.06 - 19:50
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    OK, got it . . . mostly. Mem was not an issue - totally stable with 1Gb. Trying to install on a secand harddrive seemed to be the only real problem. Once I installed in the primary drive and disconnected the secondary - everything loaded fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Now there is another problem - XWindows installation. After installing all the dev packages (that aren't mentioned in any of the Pegasos literature :-( )I am still getting the PAGE_DEFAULTPAGE_MASK undeclared errors while compiling. I googled that the cc path needed to be added, so I tried that without success. Any ideas?

[ Edited by robbhar on 2006/7/8 6:15 ]
  • »08.07.06 - 03:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    as far I remember, there was a DMI ( or similar) entry in the x-conf, which had to be disabled.

If you find a usefull source, howto set debian up on a Peg1,please post it here.
    I did lots of try and error .. and forgot something allready ;-)

[ Edited by judas on 2006/7/8 11:41 ]
  • »08.07.06 - 11:34