Is It Time for a MorphOS Update?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    It has been more than a year since the last major MorphOS update for Pegasos, 1.4.5. It is true that is has only been four months since the release of MorphOS for PPC-accelerated classic Amigas, so that should be counted as a big step as well. And then there is excellent recent progess made with third-party stuff like MOSNet and Hollywood.

However it would be nice to get another MorphOS update for Pegasos since it has been a year. It would also be good to hear from the MorphOS team how it is coming along, if the time is not right for a release.

So, MorphOS team, how about a news update if you are not ready to release a MorphOS update?
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »24.06.06 - 15:17
    Kronos
    You're really expecting an answer :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?
  • »24.06.06 - 15:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    You need to understand that a lot of crap went on a ways back. I am sure a lot of bitter feelings still are felt with the main core members of the team. We may never see an update past what we have now, at least further in the kernal area. As long as we have some good developers interested in the platform and we keep using the bountie system, showing them we are willing to support them for hard work done on a good application, driver or game we should see things like that come as time passes. Just think how long people on the Amiga side of things have been using he same old 3.1 release of AmigaOS, sure 3.5 and 3.9 came out, but it was all stuff added to the last official release of 3.1 to add more, and I am sure we can do the same with the current (final major release?) of MorphOS we have now.

Then again they could surprise us all and pull out something someday too, who knows. For now I am happy with that I have. Yould could allways put Ubuntu linux on your Pegasos and get some real good use out of it too while waiting.

[ Edited by Acill on 2006/6/24 7:41 ]

[ Edited by Acill on 2006/6/24 7:43 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »24.06.06 - 16:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

For now I am happy with that I have

I've learned to be happy with what we have now. I won't bitch anymore on the lack of communication from the MOS team as that's the way they have chosen and we have to respect that.
    I'm not optimistic about a kernel update unless God grow up a bit, but the current MOS version is good enough and have a lot of potential in third party improvment. MOSnet, Ambient, things are moving on and MOS 1.4.5 has evolved by itself with all these gorgeous addons.
    After all we can live without the 1.5 kernel.
  • »24.06.06 - 16:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I agree generally, that current kernel is not that bad and it isn't an obstacle for writing applications. On the other hand, lack of public AltiVec support is a bit irritating.
  • »24.06.06 - 19:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @velcro

You already got your update (3d stuff, parallel, rtl, ft2, ixemul, etc...). Even the sdk was updated.
    To not speak about wip ambient and mui you can download elsewhere...
    If you carefully followed mz threads, you could also read some new usb driver should come with the next poseidon update.

Ok, I agree it would be nice if somebody would spend his time to package all these *already released* components in one single 1.4.6 archive... but would it change anything in the end ?
    Bumping a stupid version number is so important ?
  • »24.06.06 - 19:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Henes

Its the community perception that is important in regards to version numbers. But Krashan said it best, the Altivec support in the kernel is needed as are other components of "1.5" that we need in order to use other exsisting applications that do not work with "1.4.x"

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »24.06.06 - 21:16
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    Quote:

Henes said: Ok, I agree it would be nice if somebody would spend his time to package all these *already released* components in one single 1.4.6 archive... but would it change anything in the end ?

Would make it much easier and nicer for newbies, and for people wanting to do an install from scratch. Would show clearly that there is progress that has been made. Would cheer up the user community some. Not everybody thinks like a coder that such things are unimportant. I'm not suggesting that a version number should be bumped if there is only a little progress, people aren't fooled by that. But what you just described there plus the current version of Kaya and possibly MOSNet and so on would make a reasonable 1.4.6 or 1.4.7 IMO.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »24.06.06 - 22:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    I think it would be nice a 1.4.6 repack... There is a lot of new software you should add to a 1.4.5 installation from scratch.
  • »24.06.06 - 22:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    why do not create a "super boundle" mosup package with all the new utilities and the officials patch/update ,from last year ?
    it's a good idea (at least for me ) 8-)
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »25.06.06 - 00:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Sounds like a good plan. Why dont you grab all the updates and put then in a single archive for all of us. I'll make a page and host the file even if you need it.

Edit: The page is ready, all it needs is the files archived and emailed to me.

http://homepage.mac.com/acill/FileSharing8.html

[ Edited by Acill on 2006/6/24 20:06 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »25.06.06 - 04:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Sounds like a good plan.

No, it sounds like a *great* plan! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »25.06.06 - 10:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    @acill:

please stop that crap. I know you know it better.

- first of all: MorphOS updates are only available to registered users.
    - second: please do not mix 3rd party stuff with MorphOS updates (MOSNet is surly not a part of MorphOS and will never be).
    - 3rd: without license you're not allowed to release and distribute such kind of compilation.

If the MorphOS Team feels it has enough free time to bundle everything together it will do so. I personally think time can be better spend on other things currently.

regards,
    tokai
  • »25.06.06 - 10:33
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    @Acill

Without consent of all the involved authors that would be pure piracy.
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »25.06.06 - 11:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    Although it seems to be not perfectly legal, there must be a solution for the prob.
    I just bought be 3rd Peg.
    Instead of cloning my grown Amiga-Peg1.Peg2-system, I tried to build it from scratch ... you cannot believe how hard this can be ...

If someone buys a Peg first time, how is he supposed to get a system up running ??

My suggestion would be some kind of automatic download-list and a clever installscript.
    It must be possible to get a up-to-date system from scratch in less than 30min.
    bye
  • »25.06.06 - 12:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Instead of crying for an update for OS, it might be a better idea to specify, which features you're missing currently.

I guess most of you wouldn't be much more happier if what we have currently would be re-released with incremented version number :-)

But indeed, new bootimage would be nice, as the old one coused some problems for at least Poseidon updates (Having to remove all USB devices when booting, which isn't too easy in many cases)
  • »25.06.06 - 14:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:
    Instead of crying for an update for OS, it might be a better idea to specify, which features you're missing currently.

- Altivec support
    - fixed timer.device AbortIO call
    - 64-bit support in dos.library (so I can add support for this in my filesystem drivers: Ext2FS, NTFS, SGIXFS)
    - fixed removable media handling in CDFS and an option to disable this fs at all
    - fixed problems caused by Posejdon from boot.img (maybe Posejdon should be removed from boot.img?)
    - private task memory support (special kind of memory that is write protected by MMU and available only to task/process which allocated it)
    - virtuall memory support
    Marek Szyprowski ...... happy MorphOS, AmigaOS and Debian/Linux user ........
  • »25.06.06 - 15:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    All that legal things, are very nice, but I think, this is an issue in which all we can collaborate. Two bundles can be done, one, with all the legal, modern, needed software we can get together for a scratch-install. This bundle is legal, and can be stored anywhere in the net (preferibly aminet, morphzone, and the other repositories). Then, we can make a second bundle, with patches, updates, and all the software that only pegasos owners can have. Once made, we can send it to the morphos team, so they can upload it to the private ftp server, and anyone willing to do a fresh install, should download when he downloads the mos 1.4.5 iso... then, we can ask that bundle to be called MorphOS 1.4.6 update.

I don't fell it to be so difficult...
  • »25.06.06 - 15:31
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

- Altivec support
    - fixed timer.device AbortIO call
    - 64-bit support in dos.library (so I can add support for this in my filesystem drivers: Ext2FS, NTFS, SGIXFS)

These are not very likely to happen in an 1.4.x update...

Quote:

- fixed removable media handling in CDFS and an option to disable this fs at all

Hmmm, what specifically was the problem here?

Quote:

- fixed problems caused by Posejdon from boot.img (maybe Posejdon should be removed from boot.img?)

And here?

Quote:

- private task memory support (special kind of memory that is write protected by MMU and available only to task/process which allocated it)

Not likely to happen at all (in abox)...

Quote:

- virtuall memory support

Well, we have/had this (funnily enough, because of request by Hyperion), however it has fallen out of maintainment (ie, it doesn't work anymore) due to lack of interest by everyone else. :P

It could be brought back to life (and even be released separately of MorphOS itself) provided we can get someone (that is part of the MorphOS team (due to the necessity of access to internals)) to resume work on it, and a fair number of people willing to risk their data and harddrives testing it... ;)

- CISC
  • »25.06.06 - 15:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Then, we can make a second bundle, with patches, updates, and all the software that only pegasos owners can have. Once made, we can send it to the morphos team, so they can upload it to the private ftp server[...]

Uhm, but it's already on the private FTP?!

- CISC

[ Edited by CISC on 2006/6/25 15:37 ]
  • »25.06.06 - 15:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    As an unique file? It has been long since last time I visited the ftp, but I think all the updates where one file by update. I suggest to pack them together, so I just need to download two files from the ftp, the 1.4.5 iso, and the upgrade pack (the best would be a 1.4.6 iso directly, but I know that would be harder to do).
  • »25.06.06 - 15:39
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

As an unique file? It has been long since last time I visited the ftp, but I think all the updates where one file by update. I suggest to pack them together, so I just need to download two files from the ftp, the 1.4.5 iso, and the upgrade pack

So you're suggesting it's too hard to go into the updates directory and download all the files there? ;)

- CISC
  • »25.06.06 - 15:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Quote:

So you're suggesting it's too hard to go into the updates directory and download all the files there? ;)

Hey, don't misunderstand me, hehe... It's now hard, but I'm an extremely lazy person... I think that one file, with a serial-one-then-next patch install script would be nice ;). Even I can do it, but it must be after July the 4th, when I finish my exams.
  • »25.06.06 - 15:47
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm, what specifically was the problem here?

Remove a CD when there are locks left. Then free the locks. Volume node is not freed. Then then put another CD with a same volume name. The volume name will be changed by adding ".1" to it and so on. Also it is not possible at all to cleanly disable this filesystem and use other (better) filesystems.

Quote:

Quote:

And here?

Try to boot with mass-storage device connected if Posejdon has been updated to 3.x.
    Marek Szyprowski ...... happy MorphOS, AmigaOS and Debian/Linux user ........
  • »25.06.06 - 16:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Remove a CD when there are locks left. Then free the locks. Volume node is not freed.

Ah, right .. I guess fixing that would require some delayed dismount flag, I'll look into it...

Quote:

Try to boot with mass-storage device connected if Posejdon has been updated to 3.x.

Right, but that would be equally fixed by updating Poseidon in the boot.img (besides, I think it could be possible for the update to forcibly unmount the MSD before updating). ;)

- CISC
  • »25.06.06 - 16:28