Tokaaai! Give us VoIP Phone Software!
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    In the thread named "Help me! :) ", our talented programmer Tokai asked us for a Pool.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4599&forum=9

He leave us free to decide for him about what could it be his next job for Pegasos and Morphos.

I hereby feel to propose you all if Tokai could realize for us a long needed GREEEAT PROGRAM:

A VoIP (Voice Over IP) phone program.

VoIP is one of the new frontiers of Internet!

Phone a friend or a relative living in another continent or just distant few miles from you spending low cost phone-tariffs or even free of charge (for some local calls)! Yep! And often computer2computer phones are also free of charge ;-) thanks to internet voice transmission protocols.

This is a very apprecciated feature into other OSes.

It is a killer apllication, and sure this VoIP will enanche our position amongst best OSes worldwide.

Along with KHTML Browser which is about to be released, sure VoIP software will enhance enormously our platform.

Let Tokai know your position about VoIP. Post here your thoughts about VoIP.

MORE!

Let's vote Tokai's pool checking "something else" option!

And specify him that we want VoIP software.

MORE!

Let's start a bounty to obtain VoIP.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2006/6/19 6:19 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »19.06.06 - 06:16
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Erm... well, there are a lot DSL modems out there that already have built-in support for VoIP without the need of even turning your computer on, just plug in your normal analog phone and start phoning.

So, I dont get why this should be a killer app... there a lot of apps that we need more urgent.
  • »19.06.06 - 18:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Motosampy
    Not a bad idea at all ! And yes, there are modems with internal VoIP support, but I haven't owned an analogic phone since something like 1995, so I'd never buy a new modem and an outdated analogic phone as long as there is a possibility to use the computer for the same purpose... Would be nice to have VoIP sw on MorphOS. (don't know if it's urgently needed tho, there might be more needed applications, let's see what people do suggest...)
  • »19.06.06 - 18:37
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    VoIP for aos has been available for 9 years already... :P

- CISC
  • »19.06.06 - 19:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Cisc

LOL! You are right! I forgot about that program - Amitalk I think it was?? I remember my friend Chris Holt my first Amiga guru calling me on the phone over a 28.8 modem! 8-)

Does it work with MOS? Still a new native implementation would be cool with a slick MUI interface! :-P

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »19.06.06 - 19:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    I'm surly the wrong person to ask for VoIP for several reasons :)

- I don't have a computer micropone
    - I'm not a big caller (I never call ppl, usually I get called)
    - My line is always busy with torrenting. always.
    - I'm no big friend of current trends anyway: instant messanging, blogging, podcast and all this other propritary crap... :)

Well... you see I'm not really the right person for some VoIP implementation. Also this would require more work than would fit into one single week of holiday. ;)

regards,
    tokai
  • »20.06.06 - 00:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Then release a working torrent client please :D
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »20.06.06 - 00:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    @GK_LKA:

they are all working :) maybe not for everybody... but that's how life is:)

Personaly I'm using Azureus since over a year. If it would be *just* for me I would have dropped mld support already (CISC did, when he switched to BitTorrent.. the slacker :-P ).

Anyway.. here is a tip for mldonkey which might help ya:. If you have stuck problems (downloads stop, gui stops to react, ...), try to increase loop_delay (downloads.ini). It seems to improve this a lot and stucking goes away and the client works flawlessly.

regards,
    tokai
  • »20.06.06 - 00:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    @ CISC

Quote:

CISC wrote:
    VoIP for aos has been available for 9 years already... :P

- CISC

Yep It exists such a program. But I don't think this program could match actual VoIP standards... :roll:

AND

We are talking about accomplish a standard...

@ Tokai

Quote:

I'm surly the wrong person to ask for VoIP for several reasons :)

- I don't have a computer micropone
    - I'm not a big caller (I never call ppl, usually I get called)

How bad... And About making a little sacrifice for the community? :-)

Quote:

- My line is always busy with torrenting. always.

AHA! OK! That's better.

I feel more confortable now that you told the truth about it...

Quote:

- I'm no big friend of current trends anyway: instant messanging, blogging, podcast and all this other propritary crap... :)

Well, this is not a priority, but it could help us to stay mainstream AND DEMONSTRATE that MorphOS is an advanced up-to-date OS.

Quote:

Well... you see I'm not really the right person for some VoIP implementation.

Well, I hope that someone could perform the task of realizing such a port.

Quote:

Also this would require more work than would fit into one single week of holiday. ;)

Sure you are a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy man.

Ciao,

Raffaele
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »20.06.06 - 03:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Yep It exists such a program. But I don't think this program could match actual VoIP standards...

Actually it exceeds VoIP standards in terms of quality.

Quote:

We are talking about accomplish a standard...

Sure, there is a standard (H.323), however almost no-one uses it, and certainly not Skype, which it seems is what you equate to VoIP...

Quote:

Sure you are a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy man.

Tokai is far from lazy, he's busy with alot of things .. but what are you doing? ;)

- CISC
  • »20.06.06 - 10:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    @ Motosampy
    Not a bad idea at all ! And yes, there are modems with internal VoIP support, but I haven't owned an analogic phone since something like 1995, so I'd never buy a new modem and an outdated analogic phone as long as there is a possibility to use the computer for the same purpose...

Being forced to sitting next to computer, with earphones on head and starking on screen each time you want to make a phone, isn't too comfy.
    IMHO outdated analogic phones are sill on date :) espacially if they are wireless. Plugged into a VoIP gateway they are really handy.
    If you don't like analogic phones you may to buy an IP Phone (full digital). 2-in-1, a phone with an integrated VoIP gateway and sometimes with a DLS router.
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »20.06.06 - 11:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Motosampy
    This goes a bit OT, but...

@r-tea

why should one sit next to a computer, I'd be laying on a couch with wireless mouse and keyboard, sound either through the LCD tv:s speakers or the hifi, microphone on the coffee table... and I'm like tokai, people call me, I do not call out... :)
  • »20.06.06 - 22:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

It is a killer apllication, and sure this VoIP will enanche our position amongst best OSes worldwide.

*sigh* :roll:
  • »20.06.06 - 22:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    @ Motosampy
    people call me, I do not call out... :)

But you have to keep your computer on for 24h to be sure you didn't miss a call.

[ Edited by r-tea on 2006/6/21 7:54 ]
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »21.06.06 - 07:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

But you have to keep your computer on for 24h to be sure you didn't miss a call.

With many users, that doesn't make any difference :-)

And in reality, you need to keep your computer on for only the time, when you WANT to be "reachable"... Sometimes I set my mobile phone to "silent" for a night, just to make sure I can get some sleep :-)
  • »21.06.06 - 10:37
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    H.323 is very widely used, but mostly in "professional" environments, not so much in homes. However - this is most likely to change the next few years.

New mobile phones with buildt in WLAN and Voip are SIP clients and use H.323. There also loads and loads of phones from Alcatel and others that uses H.323. Note that H.323 is an "umbrella" standard covering a whole bunch of technologies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H323
    http://www.nokia.com/NOKIA_COM_1/About_Nokia/Press/White_Papers/pdf_files/whitepaper_sip_for_voip.pdf

[ Edited by kolla on 2006/6/21 17:12 ]
    -- kolla
  • »21.06.06 - 17:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

H.323 is very widely used, but mostly in "professional" environments, not so much in homes.

The homes are what count in this particular situation though. ;)

Quote:

However - this is most likely to change the next few years.

We'll see, personally I doubt it (it's much more likely that everyone will get stuck with f.ex. M$ Phone (Home) instead)... :P

- CISC
  • »21.06.06 - 19:41
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Pardon me for assuming that SIP uses H.323, that's wrong.

SIP uses many of the underlying layers of H.323 but is actually a "competing" protocol. Googling for "SIP vs. H.323" says it all :)

[ Edited by kolla on 2006/6/22 20:02 ]
    -- kolla
  • »22.06.06 - 19:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
    Quote:

*sigh* :roll:

You are allowed to be sarcastic but not in Italy.

Here long distance tarrifs are still high and also regarding home 2 cell calls and international calls.

AmigaTalk or Amitalk could be of some help, but I want not only to call Amiga2Amiga, but also Amiga2PC or Amiga2Cell or Amiga2International.

Also as PC2PC is almost everywhere free of charge, and I want to be sure that an Amiga2PC phone over internet talk program will accomplish the standard!

Sure some programs Skype-like or the support for MSNTalk will help us badly in being respected worldwide, and will prove they are useful keeping us in contact with all PC systems worldwide.
  • »23.06.06 - 12:08