Torrent for MOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Ave people!

Does anybody download frequently torrents? I do, and I am not satisfied with it. I know 2 clients: the ctorrent and the bittorrent ports.

Currently ctorrent does not starts to download anything from some trackers, and it crashes every time I start it (sometimes after minutes, sometimes after 10-15 hours, depending on the speed and the number of peers or something similar). Tryed with Miami (I counsulted with tokai, have set up his settings), and with MOSnet too.

The bittorrent is even worse. It does start downloading from the sites from which ctorrent doesn't, but when is transfers data (downloads or uploads) it eats 100% of my CPU time even at a 1-10 KB/s. And ah, it can't continue downloading aborted downloads.

What I really need: a simple client which works. What about to write something from 0 instead of porting from linux?? (For example k3b on my Fedora writes DVD's at 8x speed with 50% cpu usage, FryingPan on MOS (in emulation!!!!) does the same at 5%...)
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »04.05.06 - 14:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    beanbandit
    if the ctorrent version you are using is the 1.4.x version then there is a reason it crashes (and it does so on all OS's/FS's AFAWK)... and it will be fixed ASAP

or ASAIC (my A1200 broke down and I'm waiting for my Peg2)

and there has previously been reports about ctorrent and the latest ixemul (on 68k) which was 49.17, when user's switched back to 48.2 it worked perfectly.

[ Edited by beanbandit on 2006/5/4 14:51 ]
  • »04.05.06 - 14:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    I'm using 1.3.4 version, what I found on MorphOS-News.de. MOS 1.4.5 comes with ixemul.library 49.18. Is it a good idea to downgrade?? Where can I find previous versions?
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »04.05.06 - 16:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    I was also extremely disappointed with how bittorrent client works... High CPU usage, extremely slow hashing, general instability and all the network transfer corruption it couses (with MiamiDX).

That's why I download torrents exclusively with mldonkey, it's a LOT better option in every possible way.
  • »04.05.06 - 17:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    I agree, MLD works for me best on MorphOS, I didn't manage it to get a single file via original Bittorrent or ctorrent.
  • »04.05.06 - 18:59
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

The bittorrent is even worse. [...] when is transfers data (downloads or uploads) it eats 100% of my CPU time even at a 1-10 KB/s.

Actually, it doesn't, that's a bug in MorphOS...

Quote:

And ah, it can't continue downloading aborted downloads.

Ofcourse it can, it'll always resume aborted downloads, and if you have a valid $HOME it won't take ages rehashing either (which it turns out probably is due to an experimental feature not yet enabled in the currently public ixemul)...

- CISC
  • »04.05.06 - 23:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

I was also extremely disappointed with how bittorrent client works [...] all the network transfer corruption it couses (with MiamiDX).

You mean that MiamiDX causes (which btw does occur with MLD too, just apparently not that often). ;)

- CISC
  • »04.05.06 - 23:18
    Stevo
    Prob 1. MorphOS bug
    Prob 2. External/Classic TCP/IP stack bug

Now I'm wondering about the solution :-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »05.05.06 - 00:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Tried MLDonkey. I don't like it. I think we really need a torrent client with a GUI.
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »05.05.06 - 00:42
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    I don't think so, because MLD is deadly simple to use by its web-interface.
  • »05.05.06 - 05:02
    MarK
    i'm using ctorrent sometimes, it sometimes crashes, but sometimes it doesn't and works fine. i have downloaded few gigs with it with no problem...

bye, MarK.
  • »05.05.06 - 06:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    I have downloaded ctorrent 1.4.3 (68k) from Aminet, it is much better than the older MOS version, but it still crashes. So I think I'm waiting for a next version which fixes the problem. But a GUI would be really nice (I mean a real GUI-based client, not a dummy MUIrexx GUI for ctorrent or other ported, slow and buggy clients).
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »05.05.06 - 08:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    My problems with MLD are as follows:
    1) It also crashes (at least ctrl-c doesn't work anymore and it
    doesn't serve any webpage).
    2) It's dead impossible to use. There are tons of commands for listing
    useless info about what servers you got zero bytes from, but nowhere
    can I find a command to tell me how much of my torrents that I already
    got, and how much remains.

[ Edited by merko on 2006/5/5 11:28 ]
  • »05.05.06 - 11:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    > nowhere can I find a command to tell me how much of my
    > torrents that I already got, and how much remains.

Try clicking on "Downloads" in the upper left corner.
    Pegasos PPC
  • »05.05.06 - 11:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Too bad there's no such link visible in any of my browsers.. :-)
  • »05.05.06 - 12:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Too bad there's no such link visible in any of my browsers...

I think you need to alter the settings a bit to get better compatibility with amiga browsers... Think there are instructions in some old thread.

If everything else fails, enter "vd" to the command box. Personally I use mld with telnet interface.

"dllink url://to/whatever.torrent" tries to download the torrent (and after that, the files described in the torrent). You can also use "dllink file.torrent" if you downloaded the torrent file to mldonkey directory.

Can't see why people want a GUI for bittorrent client, that works worse than mldonkey in every possible way I can think of (MorphOS 1.5 isn't "a way", so it doesn't count ;-))
    And after all that, just whine about how hard to use mldonkey is, instead of wanting a GUI for it in the first place :-)
  • »05.05.06 - 12:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    The problem seems to be the caused by the via_rhine.device.

I experienced the same problems a while ago. I swaped from MOSNet to Miami and no difference. Then I performed a wget on Aminet and it crashed in the same random ways it did with torrent tools.

Geit
  • »05.05.06 - 13:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    @Jupp3

[QUOTE]Can't see why people want a GUI for bittorrent client, that works worse than mldonkey in every possible way I can think of (MorphOS 1.5 isn't "a way", so it doesn't count)[/QUOTE]

Can't see why people doesn't want a GUI. I think Amiga is for GUI. Leave the non-userfriendly commandline and this ported dummy stuffs for linux (and compatible) users. If I'd like to use them, I'd use linux instead of MOS and Amiga-clones. And some other people told already, that MLdonkey crashes too, so I don't see why is that so good. I think it's only a temporary solution for solving these lacks of problems... That's my point of view.

[ Edited by GK_LKA on 2006/5/5 14:35 ]
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »05.05.06 - 14:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Can't see why people doesn't want a GUI.

I meant to say it like "why people want a bittorrent GUI instead of a mldonkey GUI" as mldonkey beats bittorrent client on MorphOS 1.4.x in every way I can think of.

Of course if there was a better working bittorrent client I might feel a bit different about it... But why bother? mldonkey works much better already :-)
  • »05.05.06 - 14:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Have you ever seen µtorrent on Windows? It's much better than any linux clients. And there are tonns of souch clients for win (BitComet, Azuerus, etc...).

[ Edited by GK_LKA on 2006/5/5 15:51 ]
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »05.05.06 - 15:02
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    You start MLDonkey via Icon, you can pickup a torrent-file via click in the web-browser, and you can control the download by mouse-click in your web-browser. For me this is "Amiga-likeness" enough. In fact, it's very Amiga-like, because you can choose how to control it, by mouse in your web-browser oder by text-input in a telnet console...
  • »05.05.06 - 16:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Have you ever seen µtorrent on Windows?

Sorry, I'm feeling too lazy... You'll have to look for all good looking mldonkey GUI's for the other platforms all by yourself :-(

Could you please explain why it would be so much better to have a GUI for (barely working) bittorrent client rather than multi-network mldonkey?
  • »05.05.06 - 18:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Jupp3: I agree that bittorrent doesn't work too well. Especially the
    extremely slow hash check, which cah't always be avoided if you use
    the machine for other things and manage to crash it once in a while.
    Plus it's actually quite slow even if you have the "fast" resume
    working.

But the reason why I use bittorrent is that, although slow, it at
    least works. MLdonkey crashes here. Probably because I don't
    understand some setting I absolutely need to change to avoid this, or
    because MOSNet is buggy somehow, or MOS 1.4.5 is buggy, or whatever..
    but the bottom line is that I have no idea.

Quite clearly a complete and working MLDonkey with GUI would be much
    preferrable to even an improved bittorrent that doesn't hash for days.
    But I have no idea what would be easiest to achieve. :-)
  • »06.05.06 - 00:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Plus it's actually quite slow even if you have the "fast" resume
    working.

Yeah, that's about the same speed I would expect from the full hash check, maybe a bit slower though :-)

Quote:

But the reason why I use bittorrent is that, although slow, it at
    least works. MLdonkey crashes here.

Well, the newest version seemed to get "stuck" for me (No signs of life from f.ex. telnet interface) but can be quit with ctrl-c. The problem is you don't know when it will get stuck, and when it does, it obviously doesn't do anything. I downgraded to older version. Some people say that changing task priority to higher might help.

Quote:

Probably because I don't understand some setting I absolutely need to change to avoid this

It's so long since I did that, and I had more unstabile Pegasos 1 back then :-)

But generally, I think you should try to change "Everything that affects connection speed & amount of connections"
    And remember that bittorrent has its "own" connections, and that's maybe set a bit too high as default...
    "uploaders" views all clients you're currently uploading to. (Yes, I too would call that "downloaders" - that's the clients you download from btw)

But back to the GUI topic. Mldonkey has a rather nice interface for GUI (just like it has for web browser and telnet)

There IS some mldonkey GUI for MorphOS, but it uses the telnet interface, which changed later, which obviously means that the GUI doesn't work anymore...

The thing I like in mldonkey is that you can just keep it running, connect to it via various interfaces (except dedicated GUI for MOS, becouse no-one has written one, yet) or just let it work in the background... And all that without restarting (different version of) program with different settings / arguments. Of course it's also possible to have GUI on a separate system than the one, client is working on.
  • »06.05.06 - 09:05
    Profile Visit Website