Ubuntu Breezy Colony 5 on Pegasos II
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Has anyone installed this successfully? I am able to boot up from the iso and detect hardware and such but it fails on the installation portion. I suspect it is looking for a specific target partition that doesn't exist. I have reserved some space at hdb2 but want to also setup a swap partition. Are there no partitioning tools available on this iso?

Also, can I specify my partition for the install somehow?
  • »25.02.06 - 18:21
    gunne
    Hi jdryyz,

Yes, Ubuntu works very nice on the Pegasos.

Here is a guide: Ubuntu Breezy Colony 5 on Pegasos

Good Luck !

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »26.02.06 - 13:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    dOpus
    Hi,
    I use now Ubuntu daily on my Pegasos and work fine,with the help of Hup Wiki page i installed corectly my Ubuntu.

I want to try MOL but i can't start and if i want to compile the mol-0.9.70 the compilations fails (i installed GCC and still not working)
    Any tips? or maybie better to try with Molk
    I downloaded Tiger in 3 iso images....from eMule it's works?
    G4/1GHz,1GB DDRam,Ati Radeon 9250 128Mb
    MorphOS 2.0 demo
    Molk with MacOSX 10.4.9 Tiger
    --------------------------------------------
    iMac 27" 2007 2,16 MHz,1,5 Gb Ram OSX 10.6.5
    AppleTv 40Gb with external 160Gb HDD
  • »26.02.06 - 13:51
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I read that guide. It doesn't mention anything about how to select a partition.

Quote:

gunne wrote:
    Hi jdryyz,

Yes, Ubuntu works very nice on the Pegasos.

Here is a guide: Ubuntu Breezy Colony 5 on Pegasos

Good Luck !

Gunne
  • »26.02.06 - 14:55
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I caught this one part of the Kozz guide. It reads:

"You can boot your system with somethink like
    > boot hd:x boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-powerpc root=/dev/hda(x+1)

Where x is the number of your partition in Smart Firmware, so x+1 is one larger than the number in Smart Firmware."

So, does this mean, I can only use the next parition after my "bi0" ? That is "DH0" and it is currently storing MorphOS at the moment. I think I would prefer to keep MOS where it is.

[ Edited by jdryyz on 2006/2/26 7:20 ]
  • »26.02.06 - 15:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Quote:

jdryyz wrote:
    I caught this one part of the Kozz guide. It reads:

"You can boot your system with somethink like
    > boot hd:x boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-powerpc root=/dev/hda(x+1)

Where x is the number of your partition in Smart Firmware, so x+1 is one larger than the number in Smart Firmware."

So, does this mean, I can only use the next parition after my "bi0" ? That is "DH0" and it is currently storing MorphOS at the moment. I think I would prefer to keep MOS where it is.

[ Edited by jdryyz on 2006/2/26 7:20 ]

You can install Ubuntu on any partition you like. hda1 is the first, hda2 the second, hda3 the third partition on your first harddisk.

In The Pegasos Book you'll find a very detailed how to install Ubuntu or other distro's.

~toto

[ Edited by Toto on 2006/2/26 16:51 ]
  • »26.02.06 - 15:35
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

Toto wrote:
    You can install Ubuntu on any partition you like. hda1 is the first, hda2 the second, hda3 the third partition on your first harddisk.

In The Pegasos Book you'll find a very detailed how to install Ubuntu or other distro's.

~toto

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it seems silly to direct me to a whole "book" in order to find out why Kozz's ubuntu breezy quick install guide isn't working as expected. I would post directly to the Kozz.org site but commenting is disabled.

Incidentally, I tried to open the pegasos book .PDF english translation and it said it was corrupt.

[EDIT- it worked on a second download attempt]

Sadly, it also assumes that the reader is getting through the installation portion of the setup. It does not touch on changing partitions or any possible error messages. Here is a clipping:

"Follow the various installation steps, step by step. Select in particular the adequate keyboard, the good time zone, the name of user and the password associated by default.

--> it is between these two areas that I am having a problem. <--

When the installation indicates the procedure for booting under the openfirmware, do not validate but press on keys ALT and F2 to open a command line session."

[ Edited by jdryyz on 2006/2/26 8:14 ]

[ Edited by jdryyz on 2006/2/27 8:57 ]
  • »26.02.06 - 16:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Quote:

jdryyz wrote:
    Quote:

Toto wrote:

~toto

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it seems silly direct me to a whole "book" in order to find out why Kozz's ubuntu breezy quick install guide isn't working as expected. I would post directly to the Kozz.org site but commenting is disabled.

Incidentally, I tried to open the pegasos book .PDF english translation and it said it was corrupt.

Once you've managed to download the "whole book", you will find that the information on how to install Ubuntu is very detailed, including how to setup your drive etc.

Maybe you could try to download it with another browser because it works fine here.

~toto
  • »26.02.06 - 16:18
    gunne
    Hi jdryyz,

It is not very difficult to install Ubuntu, its quite easy to do.

When you started the installation process from the cd, as described in kozz guide, you do follow the Ubuntu installation process as You do on any computer.

As You do have other operating system already installed (MorphOS) on the harddrive , which you want to keep, you do, when you comes to the part - 'Partition your disk' - You do choose "Manually edit partition table" from the menu, and the next screen will show you your partition table. And where You can create new partitions on not before used space of the harddrive.

There is a guide about the Ubuntu installation to read at wiki.ubuntu.com : Link here

I would like to suggest You to read kozz guide another time, its not so very complicated if you do take it step by step.

Any other details you do wonder about, related to the Ubuntu installation process or anything else about Ubuntu, is most likely to find answer to in the Ubuntu wiki. You can also happily use the search possibility in the wiki.

Gunne

[ Edited by gunne on 2006/2/26 18:38 ]
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »26.02.06 - 17:33
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

gunne wrote:

As You do have other operating system already installed (MorphOS) on the harddrive , which you want to keep, you do, when you comes to the part - 'Partition your disk' - You do choose "Manually edit partition table" from the menu, and the next screen will show you your partition table. And where You can create new partitions on not before used space of the harddrive.

That's just it-- it doesn't come to that part. I get an error message just when it appears to want to copy files. I think perhaps I may need to run the checksum scan on the iso. Could be bad.
  • »26.02.06 - 19:01
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    Had the same problem. The installer would hang on
    probing the drive's partitiontable.
    I fixed it with a second harddisk.
  • »26.02.06 - 20:02
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

Robin wrote:
    Had the same problem. The installer would hang on
    probing the drive's partitiontable.
    I fixed it with a second harddisk.

This isn't the problem that I am having, actually.

I did run the CD integrity test and it passed. I have some more info on the error message-- it is displayed when the installer reaches the timezone check. It failes and I am returned to the main menu with the list of choices. There's no obvious next step that I can see. I've Loaded the installer components that were available but I still do not see anything about setting up partitions.
  • »26.02.06 - 20:13
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Snuffy
    Hi gunne,

Thanks for the notes and link! I would be one those interested in Ubuntu
    on my A1. I'm currently Debian GNU-linux 3.1 Sarge-testing. It seems
    Amiga OS4 tends to eclipse the tiny linux audience.
  • »26.02.06 - 22:33
    gunne
    jdryyz,

So You are having problems with the timezone ? In which timezone are You located ? :-)

Could you please tell exactly what problem/message/information you get ?

Snuffy,

Well, the A1 is little bit 'special' when it comes to linux. Dont understand fully what you mean by being eclipsed ? You can happily try to explain little better.

For running Linux on the A1, I would like to suggest you to have a look on this page: AmigaOne - Linux kenel project

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »26.02.06 - 23:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Snuffy
    hi,
    -> Dont understand fully what you mean by being eclipsed ? You can happily try to explain little better...

If OS4 was the desired OS, why bother with linux? Bootingup Sarge here is my ' PC ' resource, but it's a little more difficult to learn. I feel that linux on the A1 isn't all that popular. Maybe another linux may satisfy users to use it.

->the A1 is little bit 'special' when it comes to linux.
    I wonder what really means? Hardware problems?
  • »27.02.06 - 05:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Snuffy

Special = bRoKEn

Yes, the almighty articia is a major problem.

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »27.02.06 - 05:47
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

gunne wrote:
    jdryyz,

So You are having problems with the timezone ? In which timezone are You located ? :-)

Could you please tell exactly what problem/message/information you get ?

Gunne

I'm in the Pacific timezone. I will get the exact message for you when I return home this evening. Upon the initial boot, the installer appears to be stepping through the main menu items in order automatically and it is on the timezone step that the process came to a grinding halt. I am then quietly returned to the main menu where I am presented with many options, but none that appear to have anything to do with partitioning or installing files. So...what now?
  • »27.02.06 - 16:52
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Well, I do not know what changed since the last time I tried but not only did I not receive an error message about the timezone today but I also got to the partitioning setup! I'm wondering if I actually had the correct version of the distro before.

Anyway, I successfully picked my primary partition and also setup a swap partition. The main packages installed successfully and I even believe I stopped at the correct point in the install as directed in the kozz guide. I'm not entirely certain what the console commands accompished but they seemed to take without error.

I have a new problem now though. Where do I get the vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-powerpc kernal from? Perhaps the alt-f2 part was intended to take care of that. I suppose all I need to do is put the kernal in my bi0 partition and boot as I would into MOS or MOL.
  • »28.02.06 - 03:59
    gunne
    jdryyz,

The kernel is located in the drawer /boot on Your Linux root-partition. That is if You did not create a special /boot partition during the installation.

Please read kozz guide another time. It is described in a very easy way.

If You did not create a special /boot partition, your bootstring could look something like this:

boot hd:2 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-powerpc root=/dev/hda3

This string is valid if You did create the third partition as Your linux-partition.

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »28.02.06 - 09:06
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

gunne wrote:
    jdryyz,

The kernel is located in the drawer /boot on Your Linux root-partition. That is if You did not create a special /boot partition during the installation.

Please read kozz guide another time. It is described in a very easy way.

If You did not create a special /boot partition, your bootstring could look something like this:

boot hd:2 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-powerpc root=/dev/hda3

This string is valid if You did create the third partition as Your linux-partition.

Gunne

gunne,

I have only created two partitions: One 70GB primary and one 10GB swap. The space I used for this is on the second half of a 160GB drive connected as a slave on my primary IDE controller. The first 80GB is devoted to OS X for MOL. I am unable to verify if the kernal is in /boot as I am unable to view the contents of the partition. I figured I could do this easily from the OpenFirmware prompt, but I do not believe it sees non-MOS compatible file systems.

As for the boot string, my past experience with linux installs on the Peg II always meant modifying the boot string to fit my setup. I did not attempt to enter the command as provided literally. My translation would be something more like:

"boot /pci/ide/disk@0,0:0 vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-powerpc root=/dev/hdb2"

I believe that would work assuming I had the kernal stored in my OpenFirmware boot partition (bi0).

Are you saying that I can access the kernal directly from the linux partition? If so, how would you write the string to fit my setup?

Your help is appreciated.

[ Edited by jdryyz on 2006/2/28 9:02 ]
  • »28.02.06 - 16:17
    gunne
    jdryyz,

Yes, you can access the kernel directly from the linux partition.

Supposing that you did install linux on the second partition on the harddrive connected as primary slave, your bootstring should be:

boot /pci/ide/disk@0,1:1 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-powerpc root=/dev/hdb2

Please note that: boot/ points to the drawer named boot on the supposed linux partition.

If the linux partition is the third partition instead, change the number to one higher eg:

boot /pci/ide/disk@0,1:2 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-powerpc root=/dev/hdb3

Here some hints also. At the firmware prompt:

ls /pci/ide [will list all drives connected too ide]

ls /pci/ide/disk@0,0 [will list partition info on the first drive (primary master)]

ls /pci/ide/disk@0,0:0 [will list information on the first partition on the first drive (primary master)]

ls /pci/ide/disk@0,1 [will list partition info on the second drive (primary slave)]

ls /pci/ide/disk@0,1:0 [will list information on the first partition on the second drive (primary slave)]

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »28.02.06 - 16:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I recomend you get the boot menu app for open firmware and build a easy to use menu for launching linux or morphOS. When I boot my system its set to launch MOS in 5 seconds. If I hit ESC and that at the OF prompt type boot HD:0 Menu I get a nice menu that says pres a number to launch. I have Gentoo, Ubuntu, Debian and MorphOS listed. Very simple once you get it all setup.

Oh and I have no problem looking at the drive contents of my linux hard drive from OF.

[ Edited by Acill on 2006/2/28 8:45 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »28.02.06 - 16:44
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

gunne wrote:
    jdryyz,

Yes, you can access the kernel directly from the linux partition.

Supposing that you did install linux on the second partition on the harddrive connected as primary slave, your bootstring should be:

boot /pci/ide/disk@0,1:1 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-powerpc root=/dev/hdb2

Please note that: boot/ points to the drawer named boot on the supposed linux partition.

If the linux partition is the third partition instead, change the number to one higher eg:

boot /pci/ide/disk@0,1:2 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-powerpc root=/dev/hdb3

Here some hints also. At the firmware prompt:

ls /pci/ide [will list all drives connected too ide]

ls /pci/ide/disk@0,0 [will list partition info on the first drive (primary master)]

ls /pci/ide/disk@0,0:0 [will list information on the first partition on the first drive (primary master)]

ls /pci/ide/disk@0,1 [will list partition info on the second drive (primary slave)]

ls /pci/ide/disk@0,1:0 [will list information on the first partition on the second drive (primary slave)]

Gunne

Thanks much for the info. I will give that a try when I get back to the home office. :)

By the way, I was aware of the ls command for listing the drive contents and this works fine for "bi0" and my two SFS paritions for MOS, but It revealed nothing when used on the other paritions. Should I be concerned?
  • »28.02.06 - 16:53
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    I recomend you get the boot menu app for open firmware and build a easy to use menu for launching linux or morphOS. When I boot my system its set to launch MOS in 5 seconds. If I hit ESC and that at the OF prompt type boot HD:0 Menu I get a nice menu that says pres a number to launch. I have Gentoo, Ubuntu, Debian and MorphOS listed. Very simple once you get it all setup.

Oh and I have no problem looking at the drive contents of my linux hard drive from OF.

[ Edited by Acill on 2006/2/28 8:45 ]

I intend to do that once I get all of my OS's in order. A boot menu will be very handy to manage all of this.

I'm glad to hear you can list your linux parts. from OF. I don't know why I cannot see my non-MOS partitions. I didn't expect to see my MacOSX, but I do think I should be able to see the linux stuff.

Oh well, if I can boot from it, no problem. We shall see.
  • »28.02.06 - 17:17
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    SUCCESS!

Since I was puzzled by not being able to list my linux partitions in OF, I decided to re-examine my partitioning setup using the ubuntu installer. Upon careful review, I discovered that I still had over 90GB of free space on my primary master. I totally forgot that I left it there. No need for the second drive for now.

I took the easy route and selected to "auto partition" the free space. Most of it was used for root and around 2GB was chosen for the swap. The base system was installed and I interrupted the setup to do the "chrp" as instructed in the kozz guide.

From the start, I was a little confused by the boot string where I am to specify "partition# + 1" but the ubuntu partitioning setup clarified that for me. Peg's OF sees the first partition (bi0) as "0" whereas linux partitions start at "1". In my new partitioning scheme, my boot string is:

"boot /pci/ide/disk@0,0:5 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-powerpc root=/dev/hda6"

Woo hoo! It worked. Additional install files were copied as advised and I eventually saw the login screen. Very cool! This is the best PPC linux for Pegasos I have seen thus far. It even appears to be more complete than Gentoo.
  • »01.03.06 - 16:17