Audio out via optical connector?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fizzy
    Hi,

I've been trying to connect my pegII to my av amp via the optical connection on the board. I'm not getting any sound out of it though. :(

Sound is coming out fine on the normal connections, and the red led is on on the connector, so the optical port is active....

....is the digital audio output hardware or software driven? I thought that it normally is just a digital out hardware driven version of the front 2 channels? If its software controlled, is there anyway to activate it in ahi/setting?

Anybody tried this before and got it working?

Regards,

- Ian.
  • »08.01.06 - 00:10
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Cookie
    I would like to help you , but I cannot even get sound out from my
    line out connector!!! :(
    Anybody know how to make that happen?
  • »08.01.06 - 00:17
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fizzy
    If you've installed morphos and everything went fine, then it should have installed AHI. Try going into the system settings of Ambient/morphos and check the AHI options and make sure that the "pegasos" device is listed in the audio modes? If it only has "Filesave" then you're probably missing the device driver for the board.

If everything looks ok and you're still not getting any sound, make sure you are using the correct connector on the back, check volume levels, cables etc.

If still no sound, then there may well be a hardware fault with the board. Has it ever worked for you?

You could try getting hold of a soundblaster live card (or any based on the emu10k processor) and try that instead?

Version 6 of AHI has come out recently too, so you could try installing that?

....anybody know anything about the optical out thing that I asked about? ;)
  • »08.01.06 - 00:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Try PlayAC3 you can find it on morphos-news.de
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »08.01.06 - 01:48
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fizzy
    Checked that - it sends a test acs (dolby digital) encoded file direct via the digital out connector. It bypasses AHI entirely. What I am after is to have all ahi audio/normal sound through the digital connector (hence bypassing the on board sounds digital to audio converters, which results in far better sound ;) ).

Guess I'll have to do some more investigating.....

....anybody updated AHI to V6 off the website yet? I've copied the files as mentioned in the docs but can see no difference - how can I tell which version is running?
  • »08.01.06 - 02:20
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Sound is coming out fine on the normal connections, and the red led is on on the connector, so the optical port is active....

If the S/PDIF output is shining its red beam it means it's active, and should be outputting the audio .. are you sure there's no special setting you need on your amp to receive it?

- CISC
  • »08.01.06 - 20:36
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fizzy
    Yes, the light being on means the ports active. However, as mentioned earlier, I'm not certain if its hardware driven or driver/app controlled.

For instance, is it seen as another output port for audio? Or it is the hardware on the board outputting the stereo signal as an optical signal?

I think from a pc point of view its usually the former, as I've seen early drivers for cards which allow stereo sound but nothing comes out of the digital outputs.

It would also make sense as it allows non-standard digital data streams (DD/AC3, DD-ex, DTS etc) to be passed unaltered/in their raw state for a digital surround sound amp to decode, as is often the case with dvd apps on the pc.

I have hooked it up to both my AV amp, and an external DAC box, and get nothing. So it looks like no data is being sent through the optical, even though its powered.

...unless somebody else has found differently?
  • »08.01.06 - 23:41
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fizzy
    Well, I cheated... :oP

I have an old (original version) sb live card, which has a small daughterboard that has a spdif out digital connection (coaxial rather than optical connector) and that connection does what I want - it outputs the front channels down this connection automatically. That is unless somebody has coded it into the ahi driver? ;o)

Working fine under morphos after I figured out where to put the emu10k drivers for ahi... ;o)

I think the onboard sound is still active though - is there anyway to turn this off (similar to bios options on most pc motherboards?).
  • »09.01.06 - 03:57
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Cookie
    Thanks for the info! I do have a pegasos 8 to 16 bit option. I selected that and now have sound! But why is my output icon next to it ghosted? in the Ahi preferences?
  • »09.01.06 - 04:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

It would also make sense as it allows non-standard digital data streams (DD/AC3, DD-ex, DTS etc) to be passed unaltered/in their raw state for a digital surround sound amp to decode, as is often the case with dvd apps on the pc.

Normally the pegasos.audio AHI driver will duplicate the mixed audio to the digital out as well (so I have no idea why this doesn't work for you), unfortunately AHI doesn't have any way to passthrough raw data, but it is possible through other means (as can be seen with the PlayAC3 tool)...

Quote:

I think the onboard sound is still active though - is there anyway to turn this off (similar to bios options on most pc motherboards?).

Yes, just remove MOSSYS:Devs/AHI/pegasos.audio (hm, and maybe SYS:WBStartup/PegasosMixer, but be careful, I seem to recall that that can lead to problems!).

- CISC
  • »09.01.06 - 11:13