Formatting CD'S & DVD'S on MorphOS
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    Next dumb question;-)

I read the notes that came with MorphOS 1.4.5 which is installed on my new Peggy. They seem to suggest that a CD can be formatted with the inbuilt Format command. However when I try it on a CD-R or CD-R/W nothing really happens. Does this actually work or do I need to download another utility? My drive is a DVD R/RW (DVD+R DL). Please advise.

TrevorDick
  • »19.12.05 - 16:07
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    deez
    For cd's & dvd's try FryingPan:
    http://www.tbs-software.com/fp/download.phtml
    For cd's try BlankCD in the CDPlayer archive.
  • »19.12.05 - 16:58
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    OK reconfigured BlankCD (ide.device and unit number=1) and put a shiny new CD-R in the drive. Dobuble-clicked on BlankCD -- nothing happened?

Downloaded FryingPan. Unpacked and clicked on FyingPan icon got the following error: Error in skin section: Unable to open skin descriptor; Program exited.

An optical drive debug icon popped up on the workbench and informed me that the program had:-

got libs:
    All OK
    All OK
    Control process initialised
    Contol Ready

I copied the files to a µA1-C I have (:oops:) and tried FryingPan with the same installation - worked OK and I was able to burn files to a CD-R. I would like to get this working on my Peggy and will definitely pay for registration when it's up and running because on first glance it's an excellent program! Anyone got any ideas why it's failing to work under MorphOs?:-(

TrevorDick
  • »19.12.05 - 22:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    BlankCD is not a formatting utility. It just erases CDRWs so you can reuse them in MakeCD or FryingPan. And it might be it doesnt work for everyone (my utility btw)... you can do same by choosing Erase from MakeCD menus.

FryingPan *should* run, I remember I tried some betas here. Never burned anything though since I have expensive MakeCD license already.

Oh and btw... you cant use CDRWs like diskettes on MorphOS. It just isnt supported.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »19.12.05 - 23:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    I'm a registered FryingPan user.

It works without problems on my PegasosII G4 and is reliable. I've burned two dozens of DVD's and never had errors or failures.

Before deleting the original data from my hard disk, I always compare them, byte by byte, with those written on DVD. So, when I say no errors I mean literally that neither one bit is faulty on 4.5 Gb!

[ Edited by DoctorMorbius_FP on 2005/12/20 9:08 ]
    Powered by PegasosII-G4, MacMini, PowerMac MDD.
  • »20.12.05 - 01:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    @ DoctorMorbius_FP

Please, can you tell me how to you do the comparison byte by byte, this is interessting! Do you use a software for this?

Regards

Christoph
  • »20.12.05 - 06:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ rms

There are two ways.

The fast way is not a real byte by byte comparison, but it is faster. Simply calculate the md5 sums of all your original files and those of the copies on the DVD or CD. For this you can use the shell utility CRCtoy V1.4 by Ray (http://amigos.amiga.hu/ray/).

The real way requires the use of a compare utility. There are many such shell utilities on Aminet, but usually they are limited to the comparison of two specified files. In this case we want to compare hundreds or thousands files and directories, so it is necessary to search for the most advanced utilities. IMHO the best of them all is Cmp, written by Alex Kazik (Aminet: util/cli/ALeXcompare.lha), whose debugging was done by ALeX with my collaboration and suggestions, too. With this utility you must simply type in a shell:

cmp <first_directory> <second_directory> all checkd

and this will generate a complete report on all equal, different, and possibly missing, files and directories.

Of course the directory tree names and filenames in the <first_directory> must be equal to those in the <second_directory>, as it is the case when you compare a source directory and its copy on CD or DVD.

Please note that a byte by byte comparison is hungry in terms of processing power and usually takes much time if you are comparing gigabytes of data. And if there are more than ten thousands files that should be compared, the CD/DVD drive caches become highly fragmented and comparison speed slows down further...

Many "strange" options of Cmp are there for making possible to manage externally the command. This is done by my ARexx utility EqFiles.rexx (Aminet: util/rexx/EqFiles.lha) that can find all the equal files in <first_directory> and <second_directory> even if the directory trees and the filenames are completely different. This can be useful if you have huge collections of pictures, music files, etc. and want to find (and also automatically delete) all the duplicates. EqFiles.rexx was necessary for my own use because all the few commands present on Aminet and able to do the same operations were/are bugged and no more developed...

I have created an improved MorphOS version of this utility, but never had time to finish and distribute it. If some people is interested I can try to distribute the package in the next future.