MPlayer red label
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    Hello.
    According to OS4emu compatibility list, MPlayer for OS4 runs fine on MOS. I tried to run it but it displays a message about a missing newlib.library.
    Can i get this library from somewhere or is it available for OS4 owners only?
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »03.12.05 - 12:31
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    MPlayer for OS4Emu lacks overlay support, so I don't think it's a good choice for MorphOS
  • »03.12.05 - 12:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    I'm not sure of what overlay support is or why it is so important. I have an Amiga 1200 and from the OS3.x side of things, overlay makes video playing slower and doesn't work properly with the BVision.
    I'm trying to use this version of MPlayer because it's the only way that i know of, to play codecs that all the other players doesn't support. Like the iv50 codec.
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »03.12.05 - 13:10
    guruman
    I guess you tried mPlayer for MorphOS ( http://nogfx.free.fr/warpdesign/softmos.php3 ) before going the AOS4 route?
    Anyway, the latest AOS4 releases are compiled against newlib, which is part of AOS4 and would be needed to use the program. But you can have it only buying, when available, AOS4.

BTW, when implemented the right way overlay is a big plus - dunno if you can use it on the PUP version with your BVision, tough.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »03.12.05 - 13:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    Quote:

I guess you tried mPlayer for MorphOS ( http://nogfx.free.fr/warpdesign/softmos.php3 ) before going the AOS4 route?

Yes. This version supports many avi codecs, but not the iv50 (and probably others?). At lest not here.
    Maybe you could try these videos and tell me if you can play them on your Peg? :
    http://217.160.142.75/bffs/images/rage.avi
    http://www.wright-flyer.net/desertaviation/compacheweb/movies/compachemini.avi

Quote:

Anyway, the latest AOS4 releases are compiled against newlib, which is part of AOS4 and would be needed to use the program.

I see. Thanks for the info. So, i guess the author of OS4emu is reffering to an older version of MPlayer or just to OS4 owners.

Quote:

BTW, when implemented the right way overlay is a big plus - dunno if you can use it on the PUP version with your BVision, tough.

I can't, MPlayer accepts the wpa mode, only.

PS: I now wonder if there is a video converter about this...
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »03.12.05 - 15:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I havent tried the latest OS4 MPlayer versions but seems it switched to newlib. You cant get newlib anywhere (alhtough I've planned porting it) currently.

Btw overlay is very useful feature (if supported) since it allows HW accelerated scaling. It is not used in MPlayer only but in Frodo for example.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »03.12.05 - 17:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    I'm sorry to disappoint you, but no version of MPlayer supports the IV50 codec natively (only up to IV32 atm), and none of the amiga/morphos ones support external .so codecs .. however Frogger does, and if you can still find the XAnim PPC indeo codec files you should be able to play them...

- CISC
  • »03.12.05 - 18:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    @itix
    Thanks for elaborating.

@CISC
    Quote:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but no version of MPlayer supports the IV50 codec natively (only up to IV32 atm)

So it doesn't afterall... You see, i can't test it myself. I just saw the codec support list which says that it is supported. :-D Ok, then.

Quote:

however Frogger does, and if you can still find the XAnim PPC indeo codec files you should be able to play them...

Actually, i have found the appropriate Xanim PPC codecs and i have successfully managed to play iv50 movies using SoftCinema!! BUT, this player is completely abandoned. I doubt if registration is still possible and i only have the demo.
    Are you sure that Frogger supports these Xanim codecs, too? Unlike SoftCinema, Frogger's docs mention nothing about it and trying to copy the .xa files in the codecs directory doesn't work. Only in SoftCinema works.
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »03.12.05 - 20:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    that f...ing IV50!!!

Nope AmigaMancer, even FroggerNG doesn't support them :-(
  • »03.12.05 - 22:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

I just saw the codec support list which says that it is supported. :-D

Yes, because it does through external .so codecs, however none of the amiga/morphos versions support that...

Quote:

Are you sure that Frogger supports these Xanim codecs, too? Unlike SoftCinema, Frogger's docs mention nothing about it and trying to copy the .xa files in the codecs directory doesn't work.

Well, actually, it used to, but it seems the support for these were removed in later versions (probably due to various issues). :P

- CISC
  • »04.12.05 - 01:38