PPaint port for MorphOS
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    It is easier to build MorphOS native version from OS3 version than from OS4 version.

Really? Isn't 68k a problem?
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »04.12.14 - 12:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Not at all. Well, it is when making initial port due to some differences in CPU architecture but MorphOS API is closer to OS3 than OS4.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »04.12.14 - 12:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I see. I did not know that :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »04.12.14 - 13:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    The older 7.1 version works on MorphOS except you get 'out of memory' errors when trying to use the filled line tool or polygon fill. You need to disable amiga blitter mode and even then it becomes a little unstable where it will hang on occasion. I wonder if 7.3 is any better in those respects.
  • »04.12.14 - 18:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

realstar wrote:
    The older 7.1 version works on MorphOS except you get 'out of memory' errors when trying to use the filled line tool or polygon fill. You need to disable amiga blitter mode and even then it becomes a little unstable where it will hang on occasion.

I use PPaint 7.1 on MorphOS and is very stable. Maybe you need to alter the settings a little? Of course all the free flood tools fail (out of memory) as you state, and there is a bug when editing some colours in the palette using HSV sliders.

Anyway - who's idea was to add another toolbar with new brush shapes? IMO it looks awful and ruins the compact GUI of the program. If you really need to add something like that it should be hidden under RMB click on "normal" brush list or similar, especially when it comes to a function that will be seldomly used, if ever.

Im refering to this.
  • »04.12.14 - 19:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The older 7.1 version works on MorphOS except you get 'out of memory' errors when
    > trying to use the filled line tool or polygon fill. You need to disable amiga blitter mode
    > and even then it becomes a little unstable where it will hang on occasion. I wonder if
    > 7.3 is any better in those respects.

Appears to be the same:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7263&start=20#93853
  • »04.12.14 - 21:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    I use PPaint 7.1 on MorphOS and is very stable. Maybe you need to alter the settings a little? Of course all the free flood tools fail (out of memory) as you state, and there is a bug when editing some colours in the palette using HSV sliders.

Anyway - who's idea was to add another toolbar with new brush shapes? IMO it looks awful and ruins the compact GUI of the program. If you really need to add something like that it should be hidden under RMB click on "normal" brush list or similar, especially when it comes to a function that will be seldomly used, if ever.

Im refering to this.

I think that must be Andy Broad's idea to add the extra brush toolbar. I believe that he has something similar in his Sketchblock program (which I have not yet installed or used on any computer) that I heard about and saw a demo of in a video from one of the AmiWest Shows (maybe the show I did not attend). I seem to remember reading about the addition of dozens (or was it hundreds) of new brush shapes too, which seemed over-kill and somewhat useless to me in practice, but perhaps some people think it is impressive when listed in the "Changes" list from one version to the next, to include such large numbers, like adding so many new brushes were equal to the same number of individual changes made to the new version.

[ Edited by amigadave 05.08.2015 - 10:47 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.08.15 - 18:46
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Any news about MorphOs version?
    When will it happen?
    regards
    eliot
  • »06.08.15 - 16:38
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    @thread

out of curiosity, how does the 68K version run on MOS? i only bought the AOS4 version, but if it works under MOS, i'll buy the 68K version as well to run on my peg2.

-- eliyahu
  • »06.08.15 - 16:46
    ausPPC
    eliyahu, MorphOS can execute 68k programs that respect the Classic Amiga and / or MorphOS API but don't rely on direct access to the Classic Amiga chipset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(kernel)#Trance_JIT
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »06.08.15 - 20:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    Quote:

ausPPC wrote:
    eliyahu, MorphOS can execute 68k programs that respect the Classic Amiga and / or MorphOS API but don't rely on direct access to the Classic Amiga chipset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(kernel)#Trance_JIT

yup. i know -- i just wanted to verify this particular version of the program still worked with MOS. andy made quite a few changes, and i just wanted to see if anyone had purchased the 68k build of 7.3 and was successful in running it.

-- eliyahu
  • »06.08.15 - 20:44
    tolkien
    I have the 68k version of PPaint 7.3 and runs in morphos 3.9. I am not a gfx man. Not even a pixel man. I buyed It to support development.
    The Fill Gradient doesnt work correctly. Doesnt looks good and paint beyond the borders of objects. Don't know if I explain well. The rest of the options seems to works well but havent tested enough.

http://subefotos.com/ver/?32435d78c1a2f80c70eba431c0c60f9co.png

[ Edited by tolkien 06.08.2015 - 22:25 ]
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »06.08.15 - 21:23
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    Quote:

tolkien wrote:
    I have the 68k version of PPaint 7.3 and runs in morphos 3.9. I am not a gfx man. Not even a pixel man. I buyed It to support development.
    The Fill Gradient doesnt work correctly. Dont looks good and paint beyond the borders of objects. Don't know if I explain well. The rest of the options seems to works well but havent tested enough.

http://subefotos.com/ver/?32435d78c1a2f80c70eba431c0c60f9co.png

ah, excellent! in that case i'll buy a copy. i'm not all that bothered if it's 68K or PPC-native, so long as it runs and gets bug fixes. does andy know about the fill gradient issue?

-- eliyahu

[ Edited by eliyahu 06.08.2015 - 16:26 ]
  • »06.08.15 - 21:25
    tolkien
    I have discovered the bug when I read this thread and tried It. I'll ask Andy when I can.
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »06.08.15 - 21:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > how does the 68K version run on MOS?

See comment #56.
  • »06.08.15 - 22:32
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
    yup. i know -- i just wanted to verify this particular version of the program still worked with MOS. andy made quite a few changes, and i just wanted to see if anyone had purchased the 68k build of 7.3 and was successful in running it.

I haven't had that big projects now that I'd have used it more extensively yet, but here's what I've discovered with the current 7.3a version compared to the freeware 7.1c version. There are some old bugs still, some new ones, and something fixed too. In any case I haven't noticed any random crashing, it's always pretty obvious what causes the problems, and if you learn to avoid them, it's fine then (like the freeware version too).

Old bugs still there:
    - The two freehand fill tools don't work. They complain about the memory.
    - Scalable fonts give a hit in the debug log, and that may result unstability.
    - Personal font and color fonts complain that they can't be opened. Only normal bitmap fonts do work.
    - PPaint does something hacky with the screenbar, and you can't use its features like showing coordinates etc. PPaint also hangs if you try to hide the screenbar. This was worked around for the OS4 version, but not in the 68k version.
    - "Show Image" option hangs the program. Maybe related to hiding the screenbar.
    - Playing an animation does the same.

New bugs in 7.3a:
    - Gradient fills don't work anymore. In my case they crash the whole program. Hits galore in the debug log.
    - Screenmode requester at the start doesn't have any effect. It always opens in the same mode. Screenmode can be changed later with the "Image Format..." option though.

Fixed in 7.3a:
    - No more trashed GUI buttons on the initial run. With 7.1c you had to restart to get clean ones.

7.3a also fixed Stencil and Merge bugs which were introduced in these new commercial versions, and which were still there in the 7.3 version.

This is what I remember now. I think that if you were happy with the old version, new version will be OK for you too. Not offering much new, but something little. Some new bug, but something fixed. Actually in my case, the new 68k version works better on MorphOS than on a real AGA machine. On AGA I have more problems with the recent version... but in any case, if you buy it and show support, maybe we'll get more updates.

[ Edited by jPV 07.08.2015 - 10:23 ]
  • »07.08.15 - 08:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

eliyahu wrote:

does andy know about the fill gradient issue?

Yes he knows. It's a bug in both 68k and OS4 versions and it was introduced with fixing some other bug. He was hunting for a solution for it last time I heard...

But feel free to make new reports too, it's one way to show that there really are users and that'll motivate for updates :)

[ Edited by jPV 07.08.2015 - 10:49 ]
  • »07.08.15 - 08:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Personal Paint is coming to MorphOS :-) At last AmigaKit has confirmed it (sorry about me bugging you up until now).

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7553&start=60#96074

My MorphOS blog
  • »30.10.15 - 17:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Personal Paint is coming to MorphOS :-) At last AmigaKit has confirmed it (sorry about me bugging you up until now).

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7553&start=60#96074

Don't be sorry about the bugging:
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7553&start=60#96084
  • »31.10.15 - 07:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Regardless of what some people might think of me, I'm not in the business of slander.

My MorphOS blog
  • »31.10.15 - 10:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Regardless of what some people might think of me, I'm not in the business of slander.

Questioning anything done by any corporation involved in the business of making money from OS4 and it's related hardware and software automatically singles you out as "a troll" etc by the church faithful, don't worry about it.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »31.10.15 - 12:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > here's what I've discovered with the current 7.3a version compared
    > to the freeware 7.1c version. There are some old bugs still, some
    > new ones, and something fixed too. [...] I haven't noticed any random
    > crashing, it's always pretty obvious what causes the problems, and
    > if you learn to avoid them, it's fine then [...]. [...] if you were happy
    > with the old version, new version will be OK for you too. Not offering
    > much new, but something little. Some new bug, but something fixed.

Short test of version 7.3b (09/2016) on MorphOS:

http://web.archive.org/web/20200221105112/amigamccc.org/journal/1811eric.htm (last 2 paragraphs)

Verdict: "As it stands now though, I’d rate Personal Paint 7.3 as not quite ready for prime-time, at least not if you hope to use it on a MorphOS machine."

Edit: changed URL to Wayback machine

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 08.05.2023 - 14:01 ]
  • »09.11.18 - 09:26