Creating skins . . . (Finished!)
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Are there any tutorials/instructions for creating skins? (or better yet -- an editor!)

I didn't have any problems painting the graphics/gadgets, etc. -- however, I've been editing a pre-existing 'SkinConfig' file, and it's slow going (a lot of trial & error).

Is there a better way?

[ Edited by klesterjr on 2005/9/18 23:18 ]
  • »06.09.05 - 13:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Sorry no, for now you have to continue with trial and error. I was about to write a document, but there are several things which are there in those skin config files, but then don`t work, others are not mentioned anywhere, but working and so on. I agree an Editor like tool would be coold.

Otoh It is not that hard to build easy skins with the existing skins as a start point. First make sure that you are making several sizes of your skin, it will be better looking.
    That is also what the first lines is about, it defines skinheights and such. You may have a look in my latest skins, IIRC they are commented according to what jacadcaps and tokai told me.
  • »06.09.05 - 17:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

You may have a look in my latest skins, IIRC they are commented according to what jacadcaps and tokai told me.

Thanks -- I'll do that!

I'm getting it done -- I was just hoping that there was an easy way out! ;-)
  • »06.09.05 - 19:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    I'm about 95% done with a ZAmi "look-alike" theme, but ignorance is getting in the way of the final details! ;-)

I know I'm probably going to feel stupid when I find out the answer -- but how do you change the look of the window scroll bars?

I'm trying to get a look like this:

window.png

(I've painted all the gadgets -- just need to get that gradient in the scroll bars)

Thanks for any help!
  • »08.09.05 - 14:15
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Changing scrollers is not possible with MorphOS 1.4.x
  • »08.09.05 - 14:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Changing scrollers is not possible with MorphOS 1.4.x

Drat! I was afraid of that.

Oh, well -- I have a "backup plan" that should look nice too.
  • »08.09.05 - 14:34
  • Targhan
    I only ask that you pay attention to what the background in GoldED / MorphED looks like when making a skin. Usually, I have to go in and change every skin I get so that I can still use GoldED correctly ;-)
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »09.09.05 - 18:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @Targhan: maybe you should consider changing MorphED/GoldED then :)

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2005/9/9 19:00 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »09.09.05 - 19:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

Targhan wrote:
    I only ask that you pay attention to what the background in GoldED / MorphED looks like when making a skin. Usually, I have to go in and change every skin I get so that I can still use GoldED correctly ;-)

Don't have either of those to test with -- where does GoldEd draw it's background from?

I'm not doing anything too complex -- if you've seen the ZAmi screenshot at Hyperion's site -- it looks like that (with MorphOS scroll bars! ;-) )

The basic skin is done -- still need to paint the MUI gadgets & requester images.
  • »10.09.05 - 00:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    I finished my "skin" tonight! :-D

Is anyone brave enough to test it for me? (it installs fine on my machine)

Screenshot

Download HERE!
  • »18.09.05 - 05:34
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    great!, Ill try to get time tomarow to d/l and install it =)
  • »18.09.05 - 06:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    The window bar looks good :-)
    For my taste the other colors dont fit.
    Window background could be more dark
    (white text is hard to read)
    and the windowframe color could be more
    like one of the colors used in the window
    bar (active or not).
  • »18.09.05 - 07:47
    Profile Visit Website
    Develin
    @ klesterjr

Thanks!
    I really like that brushed metal effect.
  • »18.09.05 - 10:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

. . . the windowframe color could be more like one of the colors used in the window bar (active or not).

The theme is trying to look like THIS.

I liked the ZAmi theme on OS4 and wanted it for myself (hence the 'imAZ' name -- 'ZAmi' backwards).
  • »18.09.05 - 10:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    lovely work, i like this skin very much. I use it right now. thanks !
  • »18.09.05 - 11:22
    Robin
    Yes, the skin is really cool. Just a minor thing I would change ...
    This is a little more eyefriendly to me :-)
    SYSTEMPEN 0 0xAAAAAA
  • »18.09.05 - 11:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    With MUI4, you can change the scroll bars collors. That might be the reason why you cannot edit that in skinconfig I guess?

Have you installed MUI4?

Regards,
    Michal
  • »18.09.05 - 11:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

Robin wrote:
    Yes, the skin is really cool. Just a minor thing I would change ...
    This is a little more eyefriendly to me :-)
    SYSTEMPEN 0 0xAAAAAA

Which color gets changed by that? I confess that I gave up on editing SkinConfig -- I just used one from another theme (with the proper sizes).

Quote:

MorphDelf wrote:
    With MUI4, you can change the scroll bars collors. That might be the reason why you cannot edit that in skinconfig I guess?

Have you installed MUI4?

I don't have MUI4 -- just the version that came with MorphOS.

-------------------

BTW -- I just updated the system requesters in the archive. I didn't realize that the drop shadow was being "chopped off" -- it's fixed now.
  • »18.09.05 - 12:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    You can change pretty much with MUI4, also the colors of the sliders in whatever gradient you want. Pretty nice indeed.
  • »18.09.05 - 12:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Well done klesterjr :)
    It`s a very nice skin. Just one minor thing, try to change the pulldown menu settings. for example transparency is to much (assuming you borrowed the skin config from the ofour skin, wasn`t sure that i did use *that* high transparency level ;) ) And the overall look doesn`t fit to the theme. According to you last post you have some problems to create the right values for that.

First think about whether you want to load a bitmap as menu background. If so, you have to make one and name it "menubackground" and place it into the root dir (not in every different skin size) If you just want to choose a different colour you may edit "menuitemcol" and/or "menubarcol" (currently not sure which one it is, just noticed that those values give that rather ugly menucolour ;) ) for your skin i `d like to recomend something "greyish" but it`s of course up to you. And I don`t think that red as menutext colour fits for your skin ;) just change the value of "menutextselcol"

Oh and one sidenote to the mui settings, here is a "trick" jobbo told me: if you name those bitmaps right eg. name-of-the-bitmap_framed Mui doesn`t draw an additional frame, but assumes that you bitmap actually *is* allready framed. try to experiment with that if you want.
    Beside that, respect :) Very well done.
  • »18.09.05 - 13:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Morphdelf:
    Please *don`t* use Mui4 in it`s current release. Although it looks really nice (I have to admit) it *is* an Alpha release *and* has to many bugs to be usable. (don`t know where to start) It is fine for some minutes of pleasure to see what`s comming, but nothing more... to make a running gag continue: just wait for MOS 1.5, there is even a feature to edit those scrollbars in skins (according to some screenshots i`ve seen in the past)

btw, you can allready change the sliders and use gradients, althoug this feature is not as "intelligent" as in Mui 4, I have to admit.

[ Edited by Bladerunner on 2005/9/18 14:21 ]
  • »18.09.05 - 13:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

Bladerunner wrote:
    . . . (assuming you borrowed the skin config from the ofour skin, wasn`t sure that i did use *that* high transparency level ;) )

"Borrowed" is a nice word -- actually I "stole" it from your ofour theme! ;-)

I've never been a fan of transparent menus -- how do I turn transparency off? I'd much rather put a pattern in there.

Quote:

. . . here is a "trick" jobbo told me: if you name those bitmaps right eg. name-of-the-bitmap_framed Mui doesn`t draw an additional frame, but assumes that you bitmap actually *is* allready framed . . .

Cool! I'll definitely use that to "fix" a few things.

Thanks!
  • »18.09.05 - 13:26
    Robin
    This is what I found in BSN-II :-)

SYSTEMPEN 0 0xAAAAAA ;Backgroundcolor
    SYSTEMPEN 1 0x000000 ;SBAR Fontcolor
    SYSTEMPEN 2 0xFFFFFF ;SBAR-Color
    SYSTEMPEN 3 0x4D73A6 ;Windowcolor Active
  • »18.09.05 - 13:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Quote:

"Borrowed" is a nice word -- actually I "stole" it from your ofour theme!

Well I borrowed that myself when I begun to create skins, thats why there are still those ugly menubackground colours by default ;)
    And imho this is the only way to go as skin creations really lacks documentation.
    The ugly colour doesn`t matter when you choose pattern as background, but you notice when there is none ;) for pattern, just do as I wrote earlier, name it "menubackground" and place it in the root dir :)

you can switch transparency off either by removing the keyword "menu_transparency" in the "menu configuration" section or set "MENUTRANSPARENCYLEVEL" to something below 30, I guess that was to much ;) )
  • »18.09.05 - 13:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Thanks for all the suggestions/help -- I'll "tweak" things later today and then update the archive for another "beta-test".

:-)
  • »18.09.05 - 13:53