Scalos v41.1
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Why did most of us by a Pegasos computer? Because we like Amiga OS, right?

I still have my Amiga's around and use them regular. Compared to my Amiga 4000 060/PPC (OS 3.9 with VisualPrefs, Birdie, ArqAttack, MCP, PowerIcons, PolyNet, etc. (screenshot)) Ambient just doesn't cut it! The only edge MorphOS has, it's fast but it lacks so many features an Amiga OS must have imho.

This is where Scalos comes in. The new beta is really good and the installer works great. I have been testing it a few day's now and I think it's good enough to replace Ambient on my Pegasos.

Things I like about Scalos:

* Deficons - make sure you select deficons load first in Scalos prefs, that way the deficons you configured have priority. Genesis for example use's the default def_mui icon when iconified now you can make your own def icon for Genesis.

* Very nice and configurable lister views.

* You can use TTF fonts for the desktop and system.

* Iconify drawers.

* Global trashcan (however deleting files in the trashcan is not possible, mayby I'm doing something wrong?).

* Cleanup, organising, snapshoting icons, etc works like a real Amiga.

* Highly configurable menus's.

There are much more things I like, try it out and find out for yourselfs.

Overall this beta is much better and more stable than the previous ones and it gives MorphOS a real Amiga look and feel. However you no longer can use the Ambient icon toolbars, I use PolyNet and there are other options you can find them on Aminet. There are also a few graphical artifacts sometimes on the desktop, wich dissappear with a redraw all.

See attachement for a screenshot of my current desktop with Scalos.

Have fun,
    Toto

** Edited: made a stupid mistake about MorphOS/Ambient **

[ Edited by Toto on 2005/8/21 21:17 ]
  • »21.08.05 - 18:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Mmmhhh, attachment doesn't work. You can see a snapshot of my desktop here.

[ Edited by Toto on 2005/8/21 19:07 ]
  • »21.08.05 - 18:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    Ja und ?
    Was sollen uns diese Worte sagen ?
    Scalos ist ein Desktop wie die Workbench und Ambient, MorphOS wird dadurch nicht ersetzt.
    Es ist seit langem bekannt, das Mann anstatt Ambient auch die Workbench oder Scalos verwenden kann.
    DefIcons u.s.w. sind für Ambient auch bereits in arbeit.

[ Edited by Wishmaster on 2005/8/21 20:01 ]
    Pegasos PPC
  • »21.08.05 - 18:58
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    The Scalos screenshot looks most awesome. I think it is catching up with Ambient.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »21.08.05 - 19:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    @Wishmaster
    Yeah you'r right Scalos is a replacement for Ambient and not for MOS. Didn't read you'r post well, I understand a little bit German ;-)

** Edited, misread Wishmasters post. **

[ Edited by Toto on 2005/8/21 21:18 ]
  • »21.08.05 - 19:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Umh, MorphOS is the operating system, Ambient is the desktop. "The MorphOS icon toolbar' is not really part of MorphOS but feature of Ambient.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »21.08.05 - 19:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    @itix
    You're right, my mistake. It's just easy to mention MOS and forget about Ambient, it's desktop.
  • »21.08.05 - 19:56
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    BigGun
    @toto

A very nice looking Desktop you have.
    And a good music taste it seems :-)

Cheers
  • »21.08.05 - 20:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    Impressed! Time to test SCALOS though ;-)
  • »21.08.05 - 23:24
  • Just looking around
    samwel
    Of course it's impressive, it looks like OS4 ;-)
    Or more correctly like a simpler version of OS4.

It's great that Scalos is still developed, I remember
    testing it on my old classic :-)
  • »22.08.05 - 00:32
    analogkid
    I like Scalos very much, but i've experienced some problems with progs started through WBStartup (e.g. dnet-client doesn't start iconified)
  • »22.08.05 - 08:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    @samwel
    It's great that Scalos is still developed, I remember

I think it's not good idea using latest versions of Scalos on classic 68k Amigas. It's too slow yet. Even 060 in not enough.
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »22.08.05 - 10:08
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    mahen
    samwel : huh, WB in OS4 is more advanced than Scalos ? I would be suprised, it looks it hasn't been updated and has to be re-written from scratch anyway. And also, I saw OS4 users still using many patches to make it better !

BTW, I rather think Ambient will catch up Scalos soon :)

It's a bit sad to realize we'll have waited so much to get a good WB replacement, and that we'll get several similar stuff at the same time. Less serious than the OS4 waste though.

[ Edited by mahen on 2005/8/22 12:36 ]

[ Edited by mahen on 2005/8/22 12:37 ]
    xmpp:mahen on jabber.fr
  • »22.08.05 - 11:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    Quote:

Or more correctly like a simpler version of OS4.

Simpler doesn't exactly means worst, but I bet Samwel already knows that ;-)
    pixie - writing from a paradise called Portugal
  • »22.08.05 - 14:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

I think it is catching up with Ambient.

Heh, heh -- very funny! :-D

(Unless you mean it's catching Ambient to put it another lap down!)

I tried this latest version with WinUAE and it seems very good (even has scalable icons -- the one cool thing about the latest version of Ambient).

I gave up trying to use MorphOS until Ambient gets updated, but maybe I'll set up my Pegasos again so I can try this new version of Scalos.
  • »23.08.05 - 00:21
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @klesterjr

Hmm...
  • »23.08.05 - 01:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

Hmm...

Don't get me started! ;-)

MorphOS is awesome!

Ambient is not.

------------

Edit:

Just to clarify -- I'm impressed with MorphOS as an sucessor to AmigaOS 3.x -- it's screaming fast, very compatible, has a LOT of cool software, and has a friendly, helpful userbase (albeit very small) -- I don't regret for a second getting a Pegasos.

Ambient, on the other hand, handles icons very badly (auto alignment ONLY is not very "Amiga-like") and has "bugs" with moving icons around -- just because YOU don't manipulate icons the same way I do doesn't mean the problem isn't there (this was also confirmed by someone else the first time I brought it up). Plus, there are missing menu items, etc. (once again, I'm mostly bothered by the sorting options -- or lack thereof).

Let's not forget that I'm an "icon-guy" -- you will NEVER catch me using any sort of text mode/listing! ;-)

I tried a couple of versions of Ambient (the older one seemed better), Scalos, and Workbench (using Elena's instructions) -- none of them was ideal.

Ultimately, I decided to just wait for the next version of Ambient (I have faith that it WILL get better!)

This new version of Scalos looks very promising, though. Like I said -- it might be worth a try.

:-)

[ Edited by klesterjr on 2005/8/22 22:23 ]
  • »23.08.05 - 03:01
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    which version of mui are you using. I to was having alot of problems with ambient and then I reinstalled the whole system, but went with mui 3.8 and updated ambient all the way that got rid of all the bugs I was having it runs nice now =). Just wondering because some of the problems your talking baout I was having and it turned out it was the 4.0 alpha of mui.
  • »23.08.05 - 06:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    samwel
    @mahen

WB in OS4 advanced?! ;-) Hyperion has done "almost" nothing to it since OS3.9. All the WB improvements will come in 4.1.
    Scalos must have alot of functions OS4 WB doesn't have?!? IMHO WB in OS4 sucks.. There are alot of functions I would like to see before I even call it usable.

OS4 doesn't use any patches for better looks that I know of?! All improvements in looks are due to the new intuition done by the guy who made Visual Prefs famous on the classics.. All is now OS legal :-)

Is Ambient activly updated nowadays? I saw it was released as GPL with special rules for MOS, allowing it to dynamically link without becoming GPL. Or something of the sort :-)

"Less serious than the OS4 waste though"
    Care to elaborate?
    It's always good with choices IMHO, but OS4 has no other choices as of now. We are waiting for OPUS Magellan to be released.
  • »23.08.05 - 09:00
  • Just looking around
    samwel
    @r-tea

Don't worry! I will not install it on my old A4000.
    It's not even up'n running these days. I have enough with my µA1 and my PC. :-)
  • »23.08.05 - 09:03
  • Just looking around
    samwel
    @pixie

Hehe yeah I know that!

By simpler I meant the looks on the windows and gadgets of the screenshot provided by Toto in the first post.
    They are very similar but a little less color gradiants.
  • »23.08.05 - 09:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

klesterjr wrote:

MorphOS is awesome!

Ambient is not.

I agree. Many people has used alternatives, like the Amiga 3.9 workbench (which works fine), Dopus Magellan, and even Scalos. I myself has always thought the Ambient version in MorphOS 1.4 was limited but still kind of OK for what I do, so I never bothered with the other ones yet. But it surely isn't "awesome"!

I think Scalos is shaping up really nice though! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.08.05 - 09:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

samwel wrote:

Is Ambient activly updated nowadays? I saw it was released as GPL with special rules for MOS, allowing it to dynamically link without becoming GPL. Or something of the sort :-)

Ambient is now developed by third party enthusiasts:

http://morphosambient.sourceforge.net/

... and will not necessarily officially be part of MorphOS in the future from what I can tell. The first paragraph on that site says "Ambient is the MorphOS native desktop", and while that was true before, I am not certain it will still be this way in future major releases of the OS. The way I have interpreted *all the things* that happened post-gerber-breakdown, it could very well be like "ScalOS will become the MorphOS native desktop, and Ambient will turn into a MorphOS native desktop, a third party replacement, like Magellan". Of course I may be wrong, but this is how at least *I* have interpreted it all ...

Quote:

"Less serious than the OS4 waste though"
    Care to elaborate?
    It's always good with choices IMHO, but OS4 has no other choices as of now. We are waiting for OPUS Magellan to be released.

I think he was giving his general opinion about starting new, alternative projects instead of focusing on what's already there and already being developed. That it would be better to contribute to what's already there in order to finish things faster, instead of diverting resources, efforts, time, know-how and support from users and third parties to new alternative things?

BTW, while you are waiting for Magellan for OS4 to be released, why don't you try to get Ambient up and running on OS4? It's GPL'd open source, free for all to use, and while there certainly are many differencies between MorphOS and OS4, they should still be kind of similar in most fundamental aspects, so it must at least be doable? Maybe more developers could make things happen faster? I think that would be cool ... :-P :-D
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.08.05 - 09:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @klesterjr

New sorting options were implemented recently (by type, by date and by size). Reversed mode is missing (will be added) and if you have ideas for more they could be implemented maybe ;-)

But autolayout is known to be annoying for some and that probably wont change... for those not liking it Scalos is maybe better choice. With Scalos user loses panels but this could be resolved by separating panel code from Ambient to its own commodity...
  • »23.08.05 - 10:07
    analogkid
    what about drag'n'drop in text mode ?
  • »23.08.05 - 11:03