making samba work
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GMKai
    hi,
    i am using genesis/amitcp succesfully to surf my network. ftp is up and fine, both client and server.
    now i would like to add samba to my peg.
    i think the native samba 3.04 would be a good start. and following the guide at www.amigasamba.org was a good choice too.
    swat ist up and running. i can see this from my webbrowser. but within the status page it says that smbd and nmbd are inactive.

connecting to the local computer does not work.

what do i have to do to create a share?
    how can i access other computers in a network?
    how can the shares of other computers be brought on ambient with a nice icon?
  • »13.03.05 - 14:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    @GMKai

If I'm not wrong, the swat included in the mos native 3.0.4 samba package has been disabled. Either you use the 68k swat instead, either you modify the smb.conf manually.

Just make sure you read all the docs coming with 3.0.4, else I can't say what's the problem as I'm still using the 68k version.

Regards,
    Fred
  • »13.03.05 - 18:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    First of all, Amiga documentation for Samba says that nmbd should be run from inetd. This is PLAIN WRONG!!!
    Just run nmbd as "Run >NIL: nmbd -F". This is mandatory because nmbd is responsible not only for resolving your name but also for registering you on the network. If nmbd starts and stops on every request it will bug your network (read more in the docs about browsing, master browsers and how all this crap works in order to understand the whole problem).
    When you get nmbd working, try "nmblookup <your name>". If it responds, everything is fine. Try to connect.
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »14.03.05 - 06:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GMKai
    ok now i have nmbd and smbd from v3.04 active, at least swat says so, but creating a share and get access to it does not work. some more hints?
  • »15.03.05 - 12:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    1. Leave swat away and write config manually. For me it works.
  • »16.03.05 - 08:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    null
    Hello sonic,

i have a problem with samba, i always get "ABORT" requester error popping up after some minutes of samba usage (even less, its pretty random), know any workaround ?
  • »16.03.05 - 19:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Don't know. On my machine Samba also crashes often. The reason behind this is some access control mechanism which is expected to be but not implemented in ixemul. Samba relies on it and crashes if more than one connection is active simultaneously.
  • »17.03.05 - 06:42
    Profile Visit Website