DiscreetFX Seeking Talented Hardware/Software Engineers For
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    DiscreetFX Seeking Talented Hardware/Software Engineers For Contract Work

Chicago, Illinois – December 1st, 2004 -- Visual FX company DiscreetFX LLC Inc., is now accepting bids on two new Amiga/MorphOS projects and is seeking talented Amiga/MorphOS Engineers.

Project #1 US0: This will be a USB to Amiga Floppy drive interface including software driver/plug-in for WinUAE and if required Amiga OS & MorphOS. Engineer will design hardware and determine what software drivers will need to be coded. If possible drive designation will be user selectable from DF0-DF3: An external Amiga floppy drive will be required.

Project # 2 AmiWire & MorphWire: Firewire stack for AmigaOS & MorphOS. Software developer will need to create a Firewire stack that works with AmigaOne running Amiga OS 4.0, Pegasos II running MorphOS and Mediator PCI with a PCI Firewire card on classic Amiga systems.

DiscreetFX will finance the development of both of these projects to completion based on the contractors that win the bid for the jobs. Contractors will be reviewed based on programming/hardware development skills and an agreed upon price for their work. The winning bidder may not be the lowest bidder. Previous Amiga/MorphOS experience will also be strongly examined. Bids from the USA, Europe, Poland, Russia, Worldwide are accepted and welcome. When projects are complete they will be sold on the DiscreetFX website with royalty payments going to contractors for each sale. This is in addition to the agreed upon payment made to start and complete the projects. DiscreetFX will retain the rights to AmiWire. MorphWire, & US0: but will share profits from each sale with contractors. If contractors do a nice job they will be considered for further work and projects. Interested developers should contact DiscreetFX @ hr –at— -discreetfx- –dot- com

About DiscreetFX

DiscreetFX has been creating software products for the Amiga, video editing, computer generated graphics (CGI) industry since 1995. The Amiga computer defined and created the video editing, computer graphics market with its birth in 1985. DiscreetFX creates Real-time transitions and effects seen on over 100 television programs including Blind Date, 5th Wheel, Shipmates and more! You can also see DiscreetFX software used on the following networks HBO, Showtime, Discovery Channel, PBS, Fox and many more
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »01.12.04 - 09:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Great initiative! :-) Hope you'll find the talents you need! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »01.12.04 - 09:35
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    A wonderfull initiative indeed :-)

[ Edited by Stevo on 2004/12/1 10:38 ]
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »01.12.04 - 09:38
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    Very nice. I hope this project materialises and gets completed very soon. :-)
    - Ronald
  • »01.12.04 - 11:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

discreetfx wrote:

Reading this is very pleasing indeed! That said, I have a couple of comments:

Quote:

Project #1 US0: This will be a USB to Amiga Floppy drive interface

So you think you will have many customers for such a product? I thought that Jens Schoensfeld's CatWeasel project should do this task, but don't know much about its status. As a side note, have you seen his work in the C-One computer? It's amazing! There are also some comments from him on ANN...

Quote:

Project # 2 AmiWire & MorphWire: Firewire stack for AmigaOS & MorphOS.

Nuff said! Wasn't there a related project from an Amiga video editing software company? Or it's that that company is in desperate need for this?

Quote:

Software developer will need to create a Firewire stack that works with AmigaOne running Amiga OS 4.0, Pegasos II running MorphOS and Mediator PCI with a PCI Firewire card on classic Amiga systems.

Which makes me remember, again, how similar these three systems are, actually. It's a pity we have to fight each other like we do. But we are amigans, there's no other way than fighting, is there.

Quote:

DiscreetFX will finance the development of both of these projects to completion...

This "pre contract" announcement also sounds very reasonable to me.

Quote:

...Bids from the USA, Europe, Poland, Russia, Worldwide are accepted and welcome...

It's curious how you separate Poland from Europe, and Europe from worldwide :-). Also, does anybody know why there are such impressive talents in eastern Europe?

I hope you find the developers you need and have the best luck with the projects, and the highest possible incomes from them!
  • »01.12.04 - 13:04
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Jonny_Rico
    Great initiative. Now finally someon makes a step forward.... is there a possibility to donate, so later f.e. the firewire stack is for free?? We need more like that....
    kr
  • »01.12.04 - 15:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Discreet

Very ambitious projects. I hope they happen. I think the first is very doable. The second wont happen IMO. The people that have the low level programming experience required are either

1. Employed by real companies

2. To busy on other projects like OS4 and MOS dev..

just my opinion of cos

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »01.12.04 - 19:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    Quote:

Project # 2 AmiWire & MorphWire: Firewire stack for AmigaOS & MorphOS. Software developer will need to create a Firewire stack that works with AmigaOne running Amiga OS 4.0, Pegasos II running MorphOS and Mediator PCI with a PCI Firewire card on classic Amiga systems.

Please dont forget G-REX Support for AmigaOS 3.x and MorphOS.
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »01.12.04 - 22:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

discreetfx wrote:
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Hm... Is there needed only one command for working under all those 3 implementations?

PS: I might try, but I dunno how much to bid...
    WBR, Vladimir Berezenko
  • »03.12.04 - 07:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    Hi QMaster

What experiance do you have? Have you created any Amiga or MorphOS apps already? Have you created any hardware?
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »03.12.04 - 09:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

discreetfx wrote:

What experiance do you have? Have you created any Amiga or MorphOS apps already? Have you created any hardware?

I have an experience of making game to Amiga.
    aminet: game/role/AChInRu.lha
    also I've made a little dictionary ErA (english to russian)
    which can be found on ami-rus.narod.ru/files/
    Also I am involved in some AmiRUS projects.

And I finished creation of hardware too much time ago, while I had my self-modified ZX-Spectrum clone. 8)
    WBR, Vladimir Berezenko
  • »03.12.04 - 10:57
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Jonny_Rico
    Bill ... what's up now with your search... did you find some(one) talentated??? Are you perhaps willing to make a bounty page??
  • »26.12.04 - 19:19