How to flash the Peg firmware

Any and all help would be appreciated

kgrach
  • »29.11.04 - 03:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Kaczus
    Unfortunately, there is not avaible any new public version of firmware for Peg I :(
    Kaczus/BlaBla & AUG-Lodz Happy Pegasos User
  • »29.11.04 - 07:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    kgrach
    So I got this straight.

Peg Ones
    can't do USB,PS/2 ports are not rentrant and go wonky on KVM switching, par port printing is iffy as my printer goes bonkers sometimes on test prints, No 48 bit HD support as it barfed on a 250 gig HD, Also some of the DVD RW 's drives would not read DVD's or CD's .

These all struck me as early firmware issues and would be fixed by now.

Or what you are saying is if I want those features I need a peg II. and all peg I support is pretty much history.

or am I an idiot and there is a FAQ somewhere that list all those problems and the proper SF settings.

kgrach
  • »30.11.04 - 23:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    Quote:

So I got this straight. Peg Ones
    can't do USB,PS/2 ports are not rentrant and go wonky on KVM switching, par port printing is iffy as my printer goes bonkers sometimes on test prints, No 48 bit HD support as it barfed on a 250 gig HD, Also some of the DVD RW 's drives would not read DVD's or CD's .

Have you tried all of those things yet? Have you tried any of those things yet besides parallel port printing?

I have been following the discussion boards and I owned a Peg1 before I bought a Peg2. I never used USB but I heard from others who did. By the time I got a DVD/CD-R drive I had upgraded to a Peg2 but I never heard that these were particularly problematic on Peg1. Don't really know what a 48 bit hard-drive is, but I ran an 80 gig drive on my Peg1.

You might have problems with a particular peripheral, but it's not accurate to make the sweeping statements you are making about Peg1.

I think if you need help you should post the specifics of your problem. Like what printer you are using and what software are you trying to print from and so on.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »01.12.04 - 00:39
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Ingo
    Exactly. I'm on Peg I and there is no problem with USB nor CD/CDRW and HD. Actually i have a DVD a CDRW and 2 HD (80 GiG & 120 GiG) connected and running w/o probs.

I run a webcam, digicam and an usb-stick via USB.

I did not try to print, yet. But some printers obviously work, some might not (according to users).

Of course i don't use a phreeboard, though ;)
    Maybe that's another story.

Itix can tell sth about it i guess.

regards
  • »01.12.04 - 01:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    kgrach
    okay does your firmware ver match mine.

I was trying to get an answer on that

also the USB device can not be fouind by the Posedion stack

Is there a special USB device driver for the Peg One?

The 48 bit problem does not show up until you use drives 160 Gb or larger. It could be a drive model it didn't like will try some other large HD's

The Liteon and BenQ ODD work fine. Some Toshiba/Samsung , Sony drives gave me problems.

Has anybody tried a peg I with a KVM and do they work.

I am just trying to get some answers?
    Is the board foobar or is this behavoir normal,
    or is this some problems that existed earlier on and was fixed by later updates?

any and all help is apreciated.

kgrach
  • »01.12.04 - 19:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Kurt

Try to install the latest version of Poseidon from Platon's website (Hodges)

USB should work NP on Peg1. Of course, without april fix you may get random problems with alot of things.

As far as KVM, it could be the one you are using, try another maybe?

As far as OF updates for Peg1 try to contact bplan. AFAIK peg1 is no longer supported, especially pre april.

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »01.12.04 - 20:01
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Ingo
    Quote:

I was trying to get an answer on that

also the USB device can not be fouind by the Posedion stack

Is there a special USB device driver for the Peg One?

I don't know the Firmware ATM. I'll check when i'm at home.

For USB you need nothing special, it runs out of the box.

I forgot to mention that i also use an USB-HUB (4x). This also works pretty well.

You may need to install a FAT-Filesystem (Fat95.lha/Aminet) in order to access the masstorage-devices.

regards ingo
  • »01.12.04 - 21:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    kgrach
    I downloaded the newest posideon stack no help. As poseidon can't seem to find it. Since the Peg one is using the built in USB device in the southbridge it is not a dead chip but a almost definate firmware issue.

Is it possible to turn devices on or off from smartfirmware.
    maybe it is turned off.

Is there a way to reset the firmware to defualts. As pulling the BATTERY RESULTED IN BLACK SCREEN very scary.

KVM problems

I tried the belkin SOHO four port, Belkin mini, antec two port , Dlink two port. Those are all the different brands of Electronic kvm's I stock. both the dlink and antec support casscading.

All do the same thing, The PS/2 ports go nuts once I switch to another machine and then back. I have to then reboot the peg in order to regain control.

The only saving grace is the lighting fast boot of the peg.

The Printing to both a Epson stylus 900 and
    HP 855CXi was problematic. As both printers work fine using turboprint 7 on my A1200. I am inclined to suspect the Peg .

Maybe it might be RAM problem as the Atricia is very finicky about RAM. The Memory 256 Meg stick of some brand unknown to me came with the system.

I have RAM that is made special for the A1XE . I will try some of that tonight and see if it fixes the problems.

Kgrach

Thanks all, again for the help
  • »01.12.04 - 23:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Kgrach

Well, it is known that KVMs work with Peg. Of course KVMs can be "funny" as can the PS/2 support of Exotic PPC Hardware ;-)

The Printing issue is not a HW issue. Its a Turbo Print implementation problem. Its "bugged" but there are workarounds and solutions. Check MZ forums.

I have a KVM coming in myself and will let you konw how it goes.

Also, I dont think RAM has anything to do with it. You can run memtest from Mossys:C:

magnetic

PS Bring it to the next QUAG meeting (which is when?) and we'll sort it out. :-o

[ Edited by magnetic on 2004/12/1 19:29 ]
  • »02.12.04 - 00:28
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Ingo
    Quote:

kgrach wrote:

Nope. I have 0.1b114.
  • »02.12.04 - 21:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    kgrach
    Thanks for everyones help.

I guess I will email bplan and see if they can update the firmware as 114 is much later than mine and may fix most problems.

Thanks tom for the turboprint help.

kgrach
  • »02.12.04 - 22:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Kurt

FYI Just hooke up my Peg2 and my AMD2.2ghz PC to a LinXCel 2 Port Mini KVM switch and happy to report it works great!

magnetic
  • »04.12.04 - 04:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    I use a Linksys kvm 2-port switch, model no.: kvm2kit, which seems to work without a problem between the Pegasos (running MorphOS) and a PC. This switch requires that they keyboard have a scroll lock key to be used to 'activate' the switching (a double keypress).
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »10.01.05 - 17:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Hey Kurt,
    just to confirm something you probably already found out. there are versions of the Peg I firmware where the USB is enabled by the kernel boot image only - therefore you require eitehr a special boot.img or a different firmware rev.

Also, just to confirm. PS/2 drivers have bugs at those levels of firmware in the Peg1 and AFAIR no version was ever released publically to fix it. I do not recall whether USB was working at 1b73 level.

Regarding HDD support - various revisions of the firmware have issues with IDE/HDD reset at startup, leading to them not working with certain drive vintages (I had problems with some IBM drives for example.)

Many versions of the firmware show the symptoms you are describing...especially those released during the development of G4 'support' and en-route to the Peg2

I no longer have my Peg1 so cannot send updated files to you - your only recourse is with bplan. I originally obtained the files to help with these probs. in #morphos.

Good Luck,

Steve

edit As far as I recall 114 firmware level still had issues with IDE initialization but it will depend on your drives. /edit

edit2 I had two differemt electronic KVM switches and neither would work with the Peg1 - mouse would go haywire if you switched away from the Peg - this was almost certainly tested at the 1b73 level .. I don't recall the result at later levels. /edit2

[ Edited by JKD on 2005/1/10 16:24 ]

[ Edited by JKD on 2005/1/10 16:27 ]
  • »10.01.05 - 18:22
    Kronos
    How about telling us what USB-devices you tried ?

With my Peg1 (very 1st batch of April1) I allways use an USB-trackball, all other devices (tablet, jopad, memory-stick, printer and scanner) atleast show up in Poseidon and work just as good/bad as with the Peg2.

Since you got a used board, everything is possible, includeing a burned-out USB-port (which could block all other ports).
  • »10.01.05 - 19:09