Mounting a Linux-made FAT32 partition in MorphOS using fat95
  • Just looking around
    I have made 32GB FAT32 partition with either SCSIConfig in MorphOS or amiga-fdisk in Debian Linux (don't rememeber) with dostype 0x46415401 and formatted it in Linux with the mkfs.vfat command. Everything works OK in Linux, but I'm unable to mount the partition in MorphOS. I have tried both the automatic partition search with fat95 (LowCyl = 0) and manually writing LowCyl, HighCyl, BlockSize etc in the mountfile. I have tried both the 0x46415401 and 0x46415407 dostype (the partition is the seventh on the disk). No matter what I try I still get the partition as "Not a valid DOS disk" in MorphOS.

I have tried MountDOS, but it's unable to list my partitions on the disk, which I guess it's because it doesn't have a PC RDB (I've only used the disk in my Pegasos 1).

Any suggestions?
  • »09.10.04 - 12:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    Hi gurgel

I do still have my PC Partition DOSDriver and here it is:

FileSystem = l:fat95
    Device = ide.device
    Unit = 2
    Surfaces = 1
    BlocksPerTrack = 1
    MaxTransfer = 0xfffffffe
    Reserved = 0
    LowCyl = 63
    HighCyl = 20003759
    Buffers = 20
    BufMemType = 1
    StackSize = 2048
    Priority = 10
    GlobVec = -1
    Dostype = 0x4d534800
    Activate = 1

Obviously, you will have to change Unit, Surfaces, BlocksPerTrack & Cylinders to your HDs specifications.

I think I figured those values using SCSIConfig (there's a Information button that opens a window with lots of info), but as you see, you can do the math and multiply Surfaces & BlocksPerTrack and maybe something else, you set Surfaces to 1, you set BlocksPerTrack to 1 and then you only have to specify the cylinder values (sorry, can't remember the calculations).

At least, if you don't find the calculations, put all the right values where they belong and it should work as expected. For the Cylinders' range, just go to the corresponding partition in SCSIConfig.

If you go in Linux and use cfdisk, you can switch the displayed Units. Just trigger [Units] one time to get Sectors value, two times to get Cylinders value.

I'm quite sure you can get it to work with this.

Hope it helps!

Fred
  • »09.10.04 - 16:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    The information button in SCSIConfig was exactly what I needed. I simply changed my previous BlocksPerTrack from 1 to 16383 and everything worked OK! Thank you very much! :-)
  • »10.10.04 - 23:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    This is good,
    I never thought about it. :idea:
    I would like to see , so that everybody could do this... :-P

Any chances for mounting an ext2 ??? :-?

[ Edited by liquidbit on 2004/10/12 11:56 ]
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »12.10.04 - 10:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

liquidbit wrote:

Any chances for mounting an ext2 ??? :-?

[ Edited by liquidbit on 2004/10/12 11:56 ]

Yes, there is. The chance is here:
    http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~mszyprow/programy/ext2filesystem/
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »12.10.04 - 15:15
    Profile Visit Website