MorphOS boot installer
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pegasosuser
    hello all,

what is possible MorphOS as largest starts up partitie has?

I have now formatted DH0 (FFS) as 1Gb

but I want install MorphOS new by means of the boot installation then
    the logo of MorphOS continues stand and happened there furthernoting.

but when the paratitie smaller were 100Mb, then MorphOS
    installation CD boot as normal.

who know does this problem?

what is the solution?

Cor van Londen.
    PEGASOSII G4@1Ghz Registered MorphOS2.5 & AmigaOS4.1 1024DDRam ATI RADEON9250-256Mb(128Bit) Creatieve Soundblaster Live! 2 x HD MAXTOR U-ATA133 160Gb 8Mb-Cache Plextor DVDR +- RW 708A 2Mb Buffer ONLY PEGASOS MAKE IT POSSIBLE!
  • »09.10.04 - 09:43
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    It's enough to have 512mb or even 256mb for MorphOS-system / Boot-partition .. 1.4.2 won't boot from very large partition.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »09.10.04 - 10:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Hello fellow pegasosuser. I am sorry, but I don't really understand your question/problem, but I try to answer it anyway! ;-)

To boot MorphOS you will need two partitions, one boot partition where you put the boot.img file, and one partition for the actual MorphOS.

The boot partition should be ~20MB in size, FFS, it should not be flagged as "boot" in SCSI-config. The size of the MorphOS partition depends on how you will set up your system. If you are going to install all your applications and the MorphOS SDK it should be made quite large, if you plan on creating other partitions for your applications and data, the OS partition could be smaller. 512MB would be enough for most users. I see no reason to why a 1GB shoudln't work. However, the MorphOS partition should be flagged as "boot" in SCSI-config, and it can not have a boot.img file in the root. So when you have created one boot partition, one OS partition, formatted them both, copied the contents from the MorphOS CD onto the OS partition, you should copy the boot.img file to the boot partition, and remove it from the OS partition, or else it won't work.

Also, see this guide for detailed, step-by-step installation instructions:
    http://www.morphos-news.de/beta2help/
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »09.10.04 - 13:12
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    After reading this thread and the installation guide, I have a couple of questions.

I am going to build my Pegasos system with two 250GB SATA HDs connected to motherboard through a dual SATA to IDE bridge (no driver required), and also two SATA DVD+-R/+-RW drives through another SATA to IDE bridge. There are many speed benefits going this route, even though the SATA instructions are translated into IDE instructions on the the fly by the hardware.

The reasons why I need these two large hard drives are for programming and also backup purposes. Plus, I won't run out of hard drive space for a while. :-D

My questions are:

1. What is the best way for me to set up these two hard drives for dual booting MorphOS and Debian Linux. MorphOS is obviously going to be the default boot, but at times I may want to boot into Debian to use MacOnLinux.

2. How should I partition the two hard drives and what sizes should they be?
  • »09.10.04 - 14:04
  • HAK
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi,

Quote:

However, the MorphOS partition should be flagged as "boot" in SCSI-config, and it can not have a boot.img file in the root.

Hm, what makes you think, this does not work?

As long as this upper mentioned MorphOS-partition is formated as FFS you can also use it as the partition for your boot.img - meaning you need only one instead of two partitions.

However, personally I too would recommend using two partitions (one for the bootimages and one for MorphOS system files).

Bye HAK
  • »09.10.04 - 18:40
    hooligan
    >However, personally I too would recommend using two partitions (one for the bootimages and one for MorphOS system files).

Hmm.. any special reason to have bootimage and system files on separate partitions?
  • »09.10.04 - 19:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Well, the bootimage should be on a FFS formatted partition. It makes sense to have the MOS system files on a SFS partition, since SFS is in many ways better than FFS.

(correct me if i'm wrong here though ;-) )
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »09.10.04 - 20:11
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pegasosuser
    the following question is.

I want to use linux too, can I use the FFS partition for the linux kernel image?

I want to make the FFS partition 100Mb for the image's (MorphOS, Linux, and more...) is that large enough? :-D
    PEGASOSII G4@1Ghz Registered MorphOS2.5 & AmigaOS4.1 1024DDRam ATI RADEON9250-256Mb(128Bit) Creatieve Soundblaster Live! 2 x HD MAXTOR U-ATA133 160Gb 8Mb-Cache Plextor DVDR +- RW 708A 2Mb Buffer ONLY PEGASOS MAKE IT POSSIBLE!
  • »09.10.04 - 20:42
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

Stevo wrote:
    Well, the bootimage should be on a FFS formatted partition. It makes sense to have the MOS system files on a SFS partition, since SFS is in many ways better than FFS.

(correct me if i'm wrong here though ;-) )

Hey Stevo!

Why does the boot image need to be on a FFS instead of SFS? Just wondering... :-)
  • »09.10.04 - 22:30
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    Because the current bios can only read FFS.
  • »09.10.04 - 22:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    nels664868
    The latest OF can read FFS for MorphOS
    And ext2 & ext3 filesystems for Linux.

So if you want to use MorphOS you need a FFS partition to boot from.
    If you are only going to use Linux a FFS partition is not required.

nels
    Ask Dr. Stupid,
    Dear Dr. Stupid,
    Why do we have to go to school?
    That's a very good question. It's becuse your parents are
    ALIENS!!! When your at school they shed there human skins and
    breathe drier lint! hahahaha!
  • »09.10.04 - 23:19
    hooligan
    >Well, the bootimage should be on a FFS formatted partition. It makes sense to have the MOS system files on a SFS partition, since SFS is in many ways better than FFS.

Dunno about that. There are only very small files which are used (libraries and small tools mostly) in MorphOS partition, speedwise it doesn't justify having an extra partition.
    SFS is pretty gay anyway ... I had to format SFS partition twice because of filesystem-problems ;-)
  • »10.10.04 - 09:14
    Profile Visit Website