New AHI version
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Quote:

2004-07-27: AHI v5.13, the rejoicing release, is now available! It adds audio hardware sharing for all programs, even low-level apps (via device.audio)

Very nice. But after I installed it, I still can't play two videos with MPlayer at the same time or Play a sample (eg. new mail sound) while SongPlayer is playing something. If I recieve a new mail while I watch a film, MPlayer stops playing. People, it's 2004! The onboard AC97 supports 32 channels, or not? It's unacceptable! :/
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »29.07.04 - 15:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    It works fine, you jus t need to set it up properly. In the new archive you will see a new AUDIO.device which needs to be selected as music unit. It will be at the bottom of the list. Make sure you use the supplied prefs and not the system one. Just Take all the files from the new archive and replace all the ones in the same dirs in your MOSsys: dirs. (Maybe it works if you make an AHI dir in sys, never tried it) In the prefs the new release comes with once you start it look at the bottom in the music unit section. You will see Unit 0: 16bit stero++ ect now. Select the one you want. I use HIFI Stero ++ myself. Now select units 0 through 3 and set the NEW option "Volume Scaling" to -3db for your card in all units. I also changed my channels to just 4. Why have 32? Will you actally run 32 apps with sound? Now when you start a program in its AHI settings select unit 0: if you can. If it has not AHI prefs it should still work fine though as default. I have tested it and its working fine. You may have to play with the volume of the apps to hear both channels.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »29.07.04 - 15:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    @Acill:

Many thanks!

So... I have changed the following:
    - In the supplied new AHI prefs:
    - Music Unit: Unit 0: HiFi 16 bit Stereo++
    - Unit 0-3:
    - Channels 16 (why not? :)
    - Volume Scaling: Full volume
    - MPlayer: ToolType: AUDIOID=196610 (Unit 0 HiFi 16 bit Stereo++)
    - SongPlayer: Audio/AHI Audio name: Unit 0:HiFi 16 bit stereo++
    - Play16: "Play16 YAM:sounds/jetsondb.wav OUTPUT=AHI MODE=$00030002 >NIL:"

This way works fine, except, that 2 Mplayers still can't run together, I think because of the VLayer. :( (Well, yes, this is not that thing without life is impossible... :)

[ Edited by GK_LKA on 2004/7/29 17:41 ]
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »29.07.04 - 16:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    amigafil
    @acill

You speak about a new audio.device, i don't find it, so where is it ?

Thank's for reply

amigafil
    Powerbook and Pegasos II G4 MOS 3.7 :-)
  • »29.07.04 - 17:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

amigafil wrote:
    @acill

You speak about a new audio.device, i don't find it, so where is it ?

Thank's for reply

amigafil

its in the archive. Its caled device.audio ( I had it reversed) and goes in mossys:AHI and the other files go where the dirs in the archive are named in the mossys: as well. Just replace the old ones. Also a new file called Audio goes in mossys:dos drivers. I forgot tha one and had to add it to get it working I think.

In any case just add the files over the old ones like they are found in the archive.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »29.07.04 - 18:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

GK_LKA wrote:
    @Acill:

Many thanks!

So... I have changed the following:
    - In the supplied new AHI prefs:
    - Music Unit: Unit 0: HiFi 16 bit Stereo++
    - Unit 0-3:
    - Channels 16 (why not? :)
    - Volume Scaling: Full volume
    - MPlayer: ToolType: AUDIOID=196610 (Unit 0 HiFi 16 bit Stereo++)
    - SongPlayer: Audio/AHI Audio name: Unit 0:HiFi 16 bit stereo++
    - Play16: "Play16 YAM:sounds/jetsondb.wav OUTPUT=AHI MODE=$00030002 >NIL:"

This way works fine, except, that 2 Mplayers still can't run together, I think because of the VLayer. :( (Well, yes, this is not that thing without life is impossible... :)

[ Edited by GK_LKA on 2004/7/29 17:41 ]

Your right, mplayer will play twice, but ony one of the sounds come out. If you play frogger and mplayer it works. I've also had frogger, mplayer and ANR all working at the same time.

-Paul
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »29.07.04 - 18:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Some information:

1. In order to run several MPlayer (even with older AHI), you can use the "-ao ahi_dev" option in command line

2. MPlayer 0.91 has a bug in AHI shutdown that may cause it to hang when you use it with this mode and while other apps are accessing AHI: Fab has an updated version, you may ask him for it on #morphos...

3. Using the new unit 0 in AHI seems to cause problems with current written programs that may hang at exit: snes9x and mame just to name two...
    => again, fab has updated versions which fixe the problem

4. I noticed that sound level is lower when using this fake unit 0 instead of the standard pegasos modes (to reproduce the problem: run the new ahi prefs program included in the AHI 5.13 archive. Go to "Music unit" and select the fake unit 0 then press "play test sound". Now select a Pegasos Mode and press the "play test sound" button again)
    => in some apps it seems to have a big impact... for example, snes9x sound level equals to ANR's 30% volume level...

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2004/7/29 18:26 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »29.07.04 - 19:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Fab has a better version of AHI 5.13? or other apps that are effected by it? I do notice the sound in a few apps seem much softer.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »29.07.04 - 20:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    killlbilll
    Speaking of the emu10kx-support, it's a shame there is no compatible mixer for this card yet.
    [ pegasos ii / g4 | morphos1.4.4 ]
  • »29.07.04 - 21:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elektro
    I've replaced all old AHI files with the new one...but now I can't
    hear nothing.
    (I've selected music unit0) with AmigaAMP "can't find audio unit" and
    mplayer plays slow movie without sound!
  • »29.07.04 - 21:36
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

Fab has a better version of AHI 5.13? or other apps that are effected by it? I do notice the sound in a few apps seem much softer.

New version of concerned apps of course !

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2004/7/29 20:57 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »29.07.04 - 21:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Indeed, there were a few apps affected by this new ahi, included mine. :)

here are the fixed versions of mame and snes9x:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fabien.coeurjoly/snes9x.lha
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fabien.coeurjoly/mame-0.84.1.lha

and an updated version of mplayer 0.91 (you can run several instances of mplayer without any problem with this one) :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fabien.coeurjoly/mplayer.lha
  • »29.07.04 - 22:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Thanks, I have downloaded the new MAME and MPLAYER and they do work now as you say :)

Thanks again!

HammerD
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »29.07.04 - 22:18
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    I installed the new AHI 5.13 as Acill recommended and my SB Audigy stopped to work! I hear nothing now. :-( Any ideas?

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »30.07.04 - 11:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I use a SB Live value card and it still works fine. Make sure you use the included prefs tool. Check to see that your apps using the card and nothing changed. Be sure the AHI prefs is set to use the music unit only on the main unit and 0-3 are set for your card still.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »30.07.04 - 13:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Fab,
    what are the differences? I found a couple of other things that don't work with device.audio...am interested in what changes needed to be made in your code

If I use these new versions on old AHI, will they still work?

OH...and many thanks for updating your stuff really quick :-D

Steve
  • »30.07.04 - 19:09
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Black_Eagle
    I downloaded the new versions of mplayer and the other programs too, but it still doesn't work for me. There's no sound in mplayer and after a few seconds playback is halted. And AmiNetRadio won't start playing at all and can't exit properly.
    OnyxSoft - Amigans never surrender, they know they can do it better...
  • »30.07.04 - 19:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    JKD,

In order to work properly with device.audio, programs using music unit must use the device.audio mode and not a real music unit mode, which cannot be assured if the program calls AHI_BestAudioID(). Here, it returns a true music unit mode, and so it doesn't use device.audio. this was the case for mplayer by default (although mplayer lets you choose the modeid, and also let you use device mode instead).

And I also encountered a weird problem with device.audio mode :
    In mame, snes9x, and also in mplayer it seems, when quitting audio subtasks, AHI_ControlAudio(AHIC_Play, FALSE,...) is called. With previous ahi versions, and with this one, in a real music unit mode, it works well, but with device.audio, it hangs, AHI_ControlAudio never returns. I couldn't notice any hit, it's just stalled.

So if you encounter problems, this can be due to the program not really using device.audio, or programs calling this AHI_ControlAudio() function in the same conditions.
  • »30.07.04 - 22:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • DDJ
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    DDJ
    Hi, i´m have no PCI sound card here, just the Onboard PegaosII sound system, can i get tow or more apps working with this new AHI 5.13 "device.audio" in my hardware ? or this update will only work with PCI audio cards ?

I do have updated my AHI files and everthing is working, no crashs or stalls, but still no 2 or more apps playng at the same time, wath can i check to know if i did everthing right ? how can i setup Mame 0.84.1 and ANR to play sound at same time ? well i don´t need this but just to know :-) .

Thanks.

Ps: Will this AHI updates be in next MOS release ? i mean is this "official".
    Peg2 G4 1Ghz rev. 1.2 - CPU rev 1.2 - Built on 20050808
    OF-version 1.2 (20050808153840)
    Radeon 9250 (9200Pro) 256MB/128bits AGP - OEM PCVIEW (ProLink)
    RAM 1GB - 2x512MB DDR333 CL2 - Kingston HyperX
    40GB ATA100 - Brand ?
  • »06.08.04 - 18:05
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    From the AHI homepage:

"2005-01-09: AHI v5.15, also known as AHI v6.0rc2, is now available. Lots of bug fixes and the volume handling is now global for all units and defaults to full volume."

Get the update from here: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~lcs/files/ahi/beta/
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »09.01.05 - 22:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    Code:
    i just installed this on my peg which like you doesn't have a sound card. seems to work ok.
    just tried AmiNetRadio, Songplayer and Mplayer (although i don't like the way .91 seems to work and i've kept the eariler version which seems to work better for me)
    "if you ever slam anyone, for anything, somehow you always end up eating shoe" Targhan
  • »10.01.05 - 16:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    so far the 5.15 release is working great for me.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »10.01.05 - 16:35
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    New version seems to improve q2 performance with my SB Live.
  • »10.01.05 - 17:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Excellent news.

Will this allow use of old apps. that used Paula?
    (i.e. OSS?)
    --
    Robert.
  • »11.01.05 - 10:28
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    @Robert

No. This is "just" an update that fixes some bugs and has an improved volumehandeling and prefs program. For paula emulation you'll need either an integration of uae into mos (won't happen) or use a program that (simplified) intercepts calls to paula and redirects them to ahi. Though there is such a program (Nallepuh) it can't be used on mos since it requires the use of the mmu (and mmu usage is disabled in mos).

Even when we would have something like Nallepuh, only a few old audio apps would actually work; most of them depend on other custom chips/hardware next to paula.
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »11.01.05 - 11:20