More on miami, ethernet and broadband
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    OK guys and gals, please bear with me.

I have a win98se PC connected to the net via USB-broadband 'modem'.
    I also have an Ethernet PCI card in the PC, connected to one of the ports on a 16 port, D-link, ethernet hub with a Cat-5 patch cable. My Peg1 ethernet port is connected to another port.
    when I switch both machines and the hub on, the green LEDs on the peg and PC ethernet ports light up and the orange LEDs start to flash.

A few questions:

1. Does this mean the connections are correct?
    2. Should typing 'ping 192.168.2.1' from a Morphos CLI prompt return something?
    3. Should this configuration enable me to access the web from the Peg, via the PC?
    4. Why am I so useless with computers? ;-)
    --
    Robert.
  • »15.07.04 - 12:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Yvan
    1. Does this mean the connections are correct?

This means that the Layer 2 connection is correct and some traffic goes through the interface (it's a good start)

2. Should typing 'ping 192.168.2.1' from a Morphos CLI prompt return something?

Hm, on Miami it's miamiping 192.168.2.1 and if the PC or the Peg has the IP address 192.168.2.1 then you should get an answer.

3. Should this configuration enable me to access the web from the Peg, via the PC?

Windows is not my speciality. There is something like 'internet connection sharing' or so that you have to enable on your windows box to make it happen.

4. Why am I so useless with computers?

I think the computers should be of use for you not the other way round.
  • »15.07.04 - 12:36
    hooligan
    First thing that occured to my mind, why don't you plug the modem into the HUB so both PC and Pegasos get their own IP's ?
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »15.07.04 - 12:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Yvan
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    First thing that occured to my mind, why don't you plug the modem into the HUB so both PC and Pegasos get their own IP's ?

Maybe because it's an USB modem with no Ethernet port?
  • »15.07.04 - 12:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    @Yvan:

Quote:

This means that the Layer 2 connection is correct and some traffic goes through the interface (it's a good start)

OK, good, thanks.

Quote:

on Miami it's miamiping 192.168.2.1 and if the PC or the Peg has the IP address 192.168.2.1 then you should get an answer.

Ahh... 'miamiping', that explains part of it, at least.

Quote:

There is something like 'internet connection sharing' or so that you have to enable on your windows box to make it happen.

Yup, got it enabled.

Cheers.
    --
    Robert.
  • »15.07.04 - 13:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Quote:

Yvan wrote:
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:

Maybe because it's an USB modem with no Ethernet port?

Precisely. :-)
    --
    Robert.
  • »15.07.04 - 13:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Well first off I recomend you go get a real modem with real Ethernet support. The USB is a bottleneck in the first place. Then you can get it all to work so simple. They way my systems work, I use Macs and Pegasos but its the same mostly, is modem goes into the WAN port on the router i have, then my systems all go into the ports on the router. I use Miami init to set it all up as DHCP and it was done. Works perfectly with no problems ever with 100% uptime 24/7
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »15.07.04 - 18:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Just tried to run miami init.

When it got to the part about specifying a device, no options are given.

I tried typing in 'ethernet' but to no avail - 'miami is unable to open device 'ethernet', unit 0. The device might be in use.

Can't even seem to set up a null modem connection... :-(
    --
    Robert.
  • »15.07.04 - 20:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Madgun68
    If it's asking for the ethernet device name, try using

via_rhinepci.device
  • »15.07.04 - 20:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    @Madgun:

Cheers - that worked.

I got through the init, saved, then tried to go online it tried to reset the modem, I guess for my old dial up.

I went into 'interface' changed type to SANA II Ethernet and driver to via_rhinepci.device.

Now I get 'IP address could not be resolved'.

I may not be able to respond to this again until Monday but cheers for the help so far.
    --
    Robert.
  • »15.07.04 - 21:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Madgun68
    Only thing I can think of here is that it's using DHCP (or something like that) to automatically get the IP address. Make sure that you're specifying the addresses (even for DNS) instead of having Miami look them up.
  • »15.07.04 - 21:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Miami usually works fine with DHCP as long as there is a valid DHCP service available on the specified network card. No need to manually set up IP addresses if that is the case. [Edit:] eventually you might have to manually enter the IP addresses of at least one *DHCP server* in Miami. In the case of the standard Windows Internet sharing service is acting DHCP, it should be the address the *LAN interface card* has, probably 192.168.0.1, look it up by (on the PC side) entering "ipconfig /all" in a dos "shell", there you will also see the direct adresses of the DHCP server(s) etc on your network) [/edit]

Let me see if I understands you correctly:

You have a PC connected to the Internet through some kind of strange USB gismo.

You also have an Ethernet card (one only??) inside that PC, that is connected to a switch (your "LAN"), on a *regular port* (this is important), and not on an "uplink" port or similar (try using one somewhere in the middle of the row if you are insecure since the "uplink" (or what it may be called on other switches than mine) usually are at one of the two ends of the row).

The PC is powered on, connected, online on the Internet, and you can surf on it and do whatever you want on your Internet connection from that PC.

On the PC side, you have enabled "Internet sharing" on your Internet interface? This enables some kind of a simple DHCP/NAT server for the computers conencted to the extra Ethernet card (the "LAN" card). Rightclick on "my network" icon -> "Properties" and in that window, rightclick on the interface (there should be *at least* two of them) that connects your PC to the Internet (*NOT* the interface that conencts to your LAN). In the "Properties" window you should see a tab at the top that is called "Internet Sharing" or similar, and on that tab you should have enabled Internet sharing on that interface, meaning that the Internet traffic on the other Ethernet card will be "routed" through your Internet connection card.

If you don't see a tab with "Internet Sharing" (and/or if you only see the LAN interface in the "my network" properties window, and not the Internet interface), then it's probably because your Internet is through USB (which is quite odd and not a very supported way of real network connection anyway). I am not certain about this, but it MAY be that the Internet Sharing option only becomes available in Windows if there are *two pure* Ethernet cards in the box, not one strange USB thingy. If this is the case, you may want to consider upgrading to *a real* "broadband modem", one with a real Ethernet. You may need *two* Ethernet cards in your PC, but then it will probably work without problems.

Or have you managed to reach the Internet from another computer (a PC or whatever) that is connected to the Switch in that setup of yours?

Another question; do you have an active firewall on your PC that might block traffic on the PC's Ethernet Interfaces by default?

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2004/7/16 1:19 ]

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2004/7/16 1:34 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »16.07.04 - 00:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    @tmhg:

Quote:

In the case of the standard Windows Internet sharing service is acting DHCP, it should be the address the *LAN interface card* has, probably 192.168.0.1, look it up by (on the PC side) entering "ipconfig /all" in a dos "shell"

OK, next dumb question: how do I stopp the details scrolling past or scroll back up to see them? There's too much goes past.
    If I just type "ipconfig", without the "/all", I get the following:

0 Ethernet adapter:
    IP address: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway:

1 Ethernet adapter:
    IP address: 81.76.56.80
    Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
    Default gateway: 81.76.56.80
    --
    Robert.
  • »20.07.04 - 19:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Arrrggghhh! I've tried to reply to this three times now and every single time this piece of kiech has crashed, just as I was finishing.

So I'll try to keep this to the point.

Quote:

Let me see if I understands you correctly:

You have a PC connected to the Internet through some kind of strange USB gismo.

You also have an Ethernet card (one only??) inside that PC, that is connected to a switch (your "LAN"), on a *regular port* (this is important), and not on an "uplink" port or similar (try using one somewhere in the middle of the row if you are insecure since the "uplink" (or what it may be called on other switches than mine) usually are at one of the two ends of the row).

The PC is powered on, connected, online on the Internet, and you can surf on it and do whatever you want on your Internet connection from that PC.

All correct.

Quote:

On the PC side, you have enabled "Internet sharing" on your Internet interface? This enables some kind of a simple DHCP/NAT server for the computers conencted to the extra Ethernet card (the "LAN" card). Rightclick on "my network" icon -> "Properties" and in that window, rightclick on the interface (there should be *at least* two of them) that connects your PC to the Internet (*NOT* the interface that conencts to your LAN). In the "Properties" window you should see a tab at the top that is called "Internet Sharing" or similar, and on that tab you should have enabled Internet sharing on that interface, meaning that the Internet traffic on the other Ethernet card will be "routed" through your Internet connection card.

If you don't see a tab with "Internet Sharing" (and/or if you only see the LAN interface in the "my network" properties window, and not the Internet interface), then it's probably because your Internet is through USB (which is quite odd and not a very supported way of real network connection anyway). I am not certain about this, but it MAY be that the Internet Sharing option only becomes available in Windows if there are *two pure* Ethernet cards in the box, not one strange USB thingy. If this is the case, you may want to consider upgrading to *a real* "broadband modem", one with a real Ethernet. You may need *two* Ethernet cards in your PC, but then it will probably work without problems.

I don't see that tab but can't afford *any* new hardware for at least another three months.
    So a proper router is out. :-(
    --
    Robert.
  • »20.07.04 - 20:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Slightly more detailed answer to one part:

Quote:

Rightclick on "my network" icon -> "Properties" and in that window, rightclick on the interface (there should be *at least* two of them) that connects your PC to the Internet (*NOT* the interface that conencts to your LAN). In the "Properties" window you should see a tab at the top that is called "Internet Sharing" or similar, and on that tab you should have enabled Internet sharing on that interface, meaning that the Internet traffic on the other Ethernet card will be "routed" through your Internet connection card.

I can go into:
    My Computer -> COntrol Panel -> Network

This brings up a list which includes FOUR entries with the same icon, which appears to be an image of a PCI card. These are:
    Dial-up adapter
    Internet Connection sharing
    Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI fast ethernet NIC
    Speedtouch USB ADSL PPP.

Quote:

If you don't see a tab with "Internet Sharing" (and/or if you only see the LAN interface in the "my network" properties window, and not the Internet interface), then it's probably because your Internet is through USB (which is quite odd and not a very supported way of real network connection anyway).

I don't see the tab, although if I check the entry for the Ethernet NIC, there is a checkbox for Internet Connection sharing. It is currently checked.

Quote:

Another question; do you have an active firewall on your PC that might block traffic on the PC's Ethernet Interfaces by default?

Not that I'm aware of.
    --
    Robert.
  • »20.07.04 - 21:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Eh, given the lack of activity, would I be right in thinking that internet connection sharing is indeed *not* possible with a USB broadband connection?

If so, would setting up Samba (or similar) get around this?

Or am I stuck using win98 for the web?
    --
    Robert.
  • »22.07.04 - 11:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Arrrgghhh! Friggin' PC died last night - won't even boot now.

Looks like I'll have to get me a router after all. :-/
    --
    Robert.
  • »28.07.04 - 10:59
    Profile Visit Website