Morphos 1.5 Status Update
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Now that is VERY COOL!!!! Just make it run on battery power. (unless you did, I'm not german..just looked at pics.)
  • »07.07.04 - 02:08
    Profile Visit Website
    gunne
    Hi bbrv

Thank you for the very kind words !

But every person in PUGS, and in all other usergroups also of course, is very important, and a good base of knowledge and experienced users is also there.

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »07.07.04 - 12:52
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    Hi bbrv!
    Quote:

bbrv wrote:
    For the moment we feel we have saturated the Amiga market

I do agree with both Miky060 and Velcro_SP. As Velcro_SP pointed out, for variuos reasons, not everywhere enough Pegasos arrived. My experience is limited to Italy, but I'm pretty sure Miky could sell a bunch more boards (he said that, too, and I'm convinced he knows what he is saying). Going to Amiga Alpe Adria was quite educative, from this point of view: I saw that there is still interest with my own eyes, and I saw that there are still many people, in the Amiga community, that have never seriously looked at the Pegasos or have some misconceptions - but once they take a look at it personally, they start considering it an option. The problem is: can they buy it?

Oh, and it's true that the thread was taken OT: so, will we have this famous status update? :-P

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »07.07.04 - 15:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    >There were always questions of "who has stock?"
    >and unlike Holland with ComputerCity and Sweden with GGS-Data,
    >Pegasos didn't make it into the familiar Amiga webstore in the USA: Software Hut.

Didn't Genesi have plans to sell a standard configuration through their webshop for 499USD with G3 and 699USD with G4?
  • »07.07.04 - 16:33
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Paochi
    Quote:

bbrv wrote:

For the moment we feel we have saturated the Amiga market, but we will be produciing more boards again this month (as we did in March, April, May and June) and we may turn the Internet sales on again soon.

Mmm not at all Rachel & Bill!
    There are outhere dozens of ppl on irc and forum that are waiting or would buy a Pegasos!
    The problem is that ... when there are exibition as ApleAdria in Italy where you have ZERO machine to sell (while someone sell under the desk 5-6 CRAP AmigaOne ...) ... there is a little prob of avaiability ...
    The market is absolutely not saturated! Ask to Miky for italian market for example!
    Then there is the little question "Peg1 to Peg2 Upgrade program" ... that should be, in my mind, the first to be targeted and fixed, because a lot of Peg1 users are also developers (our vital life!)!

Then there is also another "little" question: G4 upgrade possibility!
    I will pay 250E for a G4 upgrade card for my Peg2 G3, and I already asked to my good dealer (good Miky) ... but we know that this is impossible in the meantime ...
    "I hope that all my toys are, first of all, funny!" (Jay Miner)
  • »07.07.04 - 19:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Yes here in Germany the market is not saturated too. You can sell your used Peg1 G3 for 250 Euro, a Peg2 G4 goes round about 500 Euro, and you need only a few days to sell your Machine. There is a great demand here!
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »07.07.04 - 20:15
  • Just looking around
    micronuke
    A friend of mine and me are also still waiting for our Pegasos2/G3 boards.. It's quite depressing when you finally want to take the step and buy one and then it's not available :(
    - micronuke^osa
    Nimm dir Zeit und nicht das Leben!
  • »08.07.04 - 10:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    >There are outhere dozens of ppl on irc and forum that are waiting or would buy a Pegasos!

A market that can sell "dozens" (wow ! ;)) is still what I call a "saturated" market... I guess what bbrv mean is that they won't live with a dozen Pegasos sold, they have to find another market...

That's what I think: please correct me if I'm wrong ! ;)

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »08.07.04 - 12:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    Unfortunately Leo, you are right. Even a couple hundred more from the Amiga market would not do the trick. We have a couple of good things happening now. Let's see what happens next! :-)

R&B
  • »08.07.04 - 12:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    ...So should we look at the amiga/mos market as an ongoing Pilot program that is no longer top priority?

Will we see a "few" boards become available for the individual user early this summer? Or will only time tell?

- I am eagerly waiting for mos 1.5, but i am so happy I didn't wait when my decision was made up. :-)

katos1
  • »08.07.04 - 14:43
    Stevo
    Well, calling it a "ongoing Pilot program that is no longer top priority" sounds rather negative.

Genesi needs a bigger market and is apparently making some progress; well done! The way I see it: the more Pegasos's are sold, the more money comes in, the more Peg's can be build (and in higher numbers at once) and the more resources will be available for further MOS development.

Take the A-ONE for example; it's (way) more expensive, is bugged (like the Peg1) and has little future up to now (ofcourse only time will tell, but still).

Let us all hope that Genesi will succeed in their plans; it will be better for all of us.
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »08.07.04 - 14:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    @BBRV

If you think the Amiga market is saturated your on drugs! I have so many people here in my area that want one. Everyone that takes a look at mine wants to get one.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »08.07.04 - 15:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    @ Stevo

No matter how it sounded, I was not meaning "pilot program" in the negative sence.
    as a Mos user I am just hoping to see a somewhat steady stream of individual users to the Userbase. This promotes more users to join and develop for morphos. I am fully in agreement with the way Genesi has chosen to focus the business towards PPC linux/commercial etc... I just hope that their will at least be a trickle of individuals getting new Pegasos' while larger customers (where the revenue is) orders are being fulfilled.

Overall I am glad to see the progress Genesi has made into the commercial sector, and I hope that the demand for their product(s) remains High.

@bbrv

-yes I have looked at the presentations, and I like what I see. My questions were only in regards to the very short term. not say, two or three months from now. Thanks for the simple and pointed response :-)

katos1
  • »08.07.04 - 15:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    @BBRV

If you think the Amiga market is saturated your on drugs! I have so many people here in my area that want one. Everyone that takes a look at mine wants to get one.

Acill, we are talking about serious market. 200 or even 300 units isn't a viable market. If Genesi wants to survive and get Mos in everybody homes they need real market with orders of thousand of boards. Then with quantity boards price will drop and we'll be all happy :)
  • »08.07.04 - 15:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Those presentations aren't too new now. We just saw them. That is good and we gave our comments about that already. And - sure - I agree that a focus to Linux is not only not bad but needed. But as stated sometimes Linux on the Pegasos is not that killer application one might hope. You can get everything that Linux offers on the Peg on some x86 board or an Apple computer as well.
    I will never doubt that Linux on Pegasos is not a good option (and can gain a real good success, at least the gigabit ethernet is a tiny, little treasure), but the real big treasure of the Pegasos is MOS.
    And - sure once more - MOS is not for the masses right now, but it can go there. But only - I strongly emphasize this - only if the MOS community is not forgotten. The real life applications for MOS are coming out of our little community. Many ppl are working for MOS applications but we need more. Therefore it is very important to give enough boards to the MOS market.

To summarize this: Pegasos with Linux is currently the only "mass market" usable option for the Pegasos. Therefore a focus must be on it. MOS is the key for a better future, therefore it is urgent needed to satisfy the existing MOS community with enough boards and an update for the OS. Otherwise MOS will stagnate and you are longer bound to Linux only (and that Linux market is with a lot of competition from the x86 scene but from Apple as well).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »08.07.04 - 15:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

tapero wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    @BBRV

Quote:

Acill, we are talking about serious market. 200 or even 300 units isn't a viable market. If Genesi wants to survive and get Mos in everybody homes they need real market with orders of thousand of boards. Then with quantity boards price will drop and we'll be all happy :)

Well sure I agree, but if they decide to drop support for MorphOS and go linux PPC I am out. I hate linux. Its not ready for the consumer to use as a day to day OS at all. Its come a long way, but still has even longer to go. If Genesi becomes a linux company I dont think I could remain if MorphOS isnt futher developed. I have no idea what the real status of MorphOS even is at present. Its so damn quiet.

[ Edited by Acill on 2004/7/8 8:14 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »08.07.04 - 16:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Just a litte addendum tomy previus post for bbrv:

I just want to repeat that I surely realize that the Linux route is important and strongly needed for an overall success of the Peg.
    But I really would like to see a steady little hw stream towards the growing MOS scene. It is very difficult to get a board if these are not continously available. Ppl might lose their interest. Ppl who are important somehow.
    For the Linux market the Pegasos is just another hardware and Genesi just another whole package seller. This is not bad (nor, really not, it is a success) but it is *not* unique.
    The Peg + MOS *is* unique. Give the MOS scene that suport they desire. If you say, well those some hundret boards are no market, I agree it is not a big market. But if is not that big then the effort to give them those some boards is not that big either ;-)

I know that you won't drop MOS but sometimes it sounds like it's priority just got down. There is some demand for more boards and there is demand for the MOS update.
    I am sure both will be satisfied, am I right?
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »08.07.04 - 16:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Well sure I agree, but if they decide to drop support for MorphOS and go linux PPC I am out. I hate linux. Its not ready for the consumer to use as a day to day OS at all. Its come a long way, but still has even longer to go. If Genesi becomes a linux company I dont think I could remain if MorphOS isnt futher developed. I have no idea what the real status of MorphOS even is at present. Its so damn quiet.

[ Edited by Acill on 2004/7/8 8:14 ]

I have no doubt, they won't drop MorphOS. But it will take a little time before "desktop" running Mos are sold all other the world. First Mos as to be recognized by consumer market as a fast/efficient/reliable OS ( application included).
    Mos will appear in embedded systems, and people will start understand the power of Peg/Mos.
    I'm sure Genesi is working on that direction.
    Lot of people are working hard today on MorphOS and will continu to improve it. Until then, focusing on Linux isn't a bad idea and it is the key for Mos to get in a bigger market :) Linux user are smart, if they get another OS offered with their Pegasos they'll try it !
  • »08.07.04 - 16:28
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    artickfox
    I think Linux is a good option to present Pegasos Platform in other various kind of market: Linux alredy have importance in many area, and a Pegasos/linux platform can help to increase sales and diffusion of platform itself.

Howerer I think best thing for our Pegasos is to give support to all other kind of OS, not only MOS or Linux: if a platform give space/attention also to any other kind of OS, i thinks users and developer of these OS can think to pass to a Pegasos becouse it give a "better support" to their OS. Maybe if Pegasos will be good for run OpenBeos/Haiku or other OS, probably can call also these developer/users to use a Pegasos for these OS... :D
    Maybe this can be make a better advertiment of these OS on Pegasos platform (allow to user to choose how kind of OS have whith the Motherboard when buy it, example choose between Mos, Linux, Aros, QNX, and many other...). Or give developer better information about Pegasos specification... well, in any case, make something to help development of various OS for our platform, and not only close Pegasos to a few choise.

I Think MorphOS will become a serius alternative in future 1.5 release. If really developer keep their promises (Hardware acceleration, native TCP stack, a better Ambient), or many of them, Mos will become REALLY usable and competitive. I think actual 1.4.3 version is only a preliminary prototipe of what is really will be. So, when 1.5 will out and have really promised features, I think Genesis can take seriously in consideration to promote MOS like "alternative OS for an alternative machine", becouse probably it have all function we need to run ad use for our daily works.
    Virtual Paws:
    http://www.furryitalia.net/virtualpaws/index.htm
    Italian furry videogame site

Furry Italia
    http://www.furryitalia.net/
    Italian Furry Comunity

- Owner of a Pegasos 2/G3 -
  • »08.07.04 - 17:24
    Profile Visit Website
    Robin
    Let me quote bbrv on this:

"About the same time the world figures out that Linux is not the answer we hope to be there."

BTW, I cant reach the ftp-server. Does that mean it's
    updated with 1.5 ? ;-)
  • »08.07.04 - 17:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    quote " think best thing for our Pegasos is to give support to all other kind of OS, not only MOS or Linux: if a platform give space/attention also to any other kind of OS"

What about www.ppczone.org ? ;-)
  • »08.07.04 - 17:32
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Jonny_Rico
    by tapero on 2004/7/8 16:41:32

Quote:

Tapero... do you really think that Genesi will sell large quantities with software/hardware years behind??
    I like the Amiga/Pegasos (had a1200 once) but sorrily there is rather no future in my mind = old tech and slow software development - where lots of essential software is still missing!

Nevertheless I will (hopefully) buy one soon as mos1.5 will be out (as a friend had some interesting informations about 1.5) but as I said before ... for that we will have to wait much longer....
  • »08.07.04 - 17:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    Nevertheless I will (hopefully) buy one soon as mos1.5 will be out (as a friend had some interesting informations about 1.5) but as I said before ... for that we will have to wait much longer....

------------------------------------------------------------

@ jonny_Rico

I think the question of the day is " how long" ascii is stating that the "quietness" is somewhat disturbing. Now I am asking How much longer... 1 year... 6 months...?

If their was a development list that showed some form of progression, I think that I would be happy. and if their was an official announcement on what is planned to be added to Mos 1.5.

Thanks

katos1

[ Edited by katos1 on 2004/7/8 13:05 ]
  • »08.07.04 - 18:03
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @bbrv: But I guess that doesn't mean you shouldn't satisfy the remaining hundreds of people who have been waiting for months...

Better 100 more Pegasos users (including some potential developers) than 100 AOne or PC users, no ? ;)

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »08.07.04 - 18:08
    Profile Visit Website