How to create PNG-Icons with transparency?
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Hi all,

currently I wonder how to obtain transparency for PNG icons.

I tried to manipulate a PNG icon by changing its name from xyz.info to xyz.png and loaded it with both Arteffect4 and fxPaint2, but when saving the PNG image to a file called blabla.info I get an ugly non-transparent frame around the icon.

I know that the alpha channel is somehow involved in transparency, but even if I choosed to save the alpha channel information together with the PNG image I could not get transparency, even if I did not manipulate the PNG image in any way but only load and save it again.

Any hints anyone?
  • »20.06.04 - 19:43
  • JBB
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Hi there,

A previous thread talked about this, with Targhan providing a nice guide to learn how do exactly what you're after.
    See:
    https://morph.zone/downloads/pdf/PNG_Icons.pdf

In the future, please try to use the SEARCH feature on the left pane of the forum... most topics have been treated before by other people!

Good luck with your icons!
    Cheers,
    JBB
  • »20.06.04 - 20:32
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    After you load the icon into FxPaint2, click on "Active" button under alpha channel chooser located on vertical left-side toolbox. Then if you save the icon as PNG it will be transparent.
  • »20.06.04 - 20:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    png pdf - the tutorial mentioned is mine, btw. and it only deals with how to make png icons in ImageFX4.5

one thing that is probably true in most programs is that it's best to save as PNG from the paint program. THEN change it's name to "x.info" in ambiant or wb (wherever you happen to be).
    "if you ever slam anyone, for anything, somehow you always end up eating shoe" Targhan
  • »20.06.04 - 21:55
    Profile Visit Website