Genesis under Morphos
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Does anyone know if the copy of the Genesis stack that came with OS3.9 works with Morphos? (ie. great/slow/crashes/not at all ... or whatever)

I'm planning ahead in case 1.5 isn't out before I can afford a Peg :-?
    -~= Amiga Cats don't get Microsoft worms! =~-
  • »19.06.04 - 23:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    It works but you have to use the MUI interface from aminet or use the aminet version and the genesiskey from OS3.9 CD.
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »20.06.04 - 00:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    It works great, at least if you don't need DHCP (ie you have a router or an IP address that doesn't change a lot). I am using this on two of my pegs, and they are online 24/7. The speed of the JIT emulated 68k code is OK for "normal" Internet usage I guess (just as it is in MiamiDx), and this solution works great until a fully native PPC stack arrives (I think I read that on the PUGS meeting earlier this spring, they transferred files with FTP on MorphOS 1.5 at about 10x the speed, and I guess we will know exactly how much faster it will be when it arrives).

I use the demoversion of Genesis MUI together with the full key-file from the AmigaOS3.9 CD. I also used MiamiDx (which has DHCP support) in the setup process to extract the MAC address and to see what IP address that gets me from the DHCP server of my ISP (my IP addresses are said to be dynamic, but so far they have never changed :-D). Expect a little "fiddling" to get everything working properly though! ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »20.06.04 - 13:17
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Black_Eagle
    Well, it was fast, but not 10x, hehe.

When I use ftp on my internal network at home I get 3,5-5 MB/s and maximum for a 100Mbit network is 12,5MB/s, so if we go by my low number the new TCP/IP stack will be about 3-4 times faster on 100Mbit.

When we have working Gbit, we might see higher speeds =)
    OnyxSoft - Amigans never surrender, they know they can do it better...
  • »20.06.04 - 13:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I'm using MiamiDX and can get real fast speeds using it. From a lot of FTP sires I get over 300k a sec as well as on internet downloads. I dont know how to network it with my Mac so I cant test direct from that.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »20.06.04 - 13:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Thanks :-) I'll be wanting to run Samba as well for transfer to/from my work laptop for Pagestream files (I get to use a nice printer at work).

DHCP isn't a problem as I've got a Netgear router, I just switch off everything else and it'll tell me the Mac address, and let me reserve an address :-)
  • »20.06.04 - 22:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    :-)

As I said, expect some "fiddling", and Snoopdos is [always] great to have around! :-)

If you don't need a full Samba installation (printing etc), but only want to transfer files to/from your Pegasos to a PC or any other computer on the network (from the Pegasos side only), then you should have a look at the excellent program "smbfs.lha" from Aminet. Really easy to set up, it's small, it works great, etc. You could search in the forums here and on amiga.org for tips on usage, and don't hecitate to ask questions! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »20.06.04 - 23:37
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    I'll certainly check it out :-)
  • »21.06.04 - 22:54
    Profile Visit Website