Mozilla for Amiga/Morph OS.
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    For a long time I have wondered why this hasent happened. Mozilla is open source, so the code for the Macs should be easy to get. The 68k macs code, and the code for PPC and then for the new G3, G4, and G5 is as well. Why cant someone take this code that compiled for out processors and make the changes to get to run on Amiga and Morph? How much would need to be stripped and redone? I know the interface stuff and system calls for the OS need rework, but that shouldnt be hard for a good team to do right?
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »29.03.04 - 01:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    this may entice you MorphZilla
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »29.03.04 - 01:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    As far as I can tell, there are two teams working on a port of Mozilla. A team based in sourceforge and a Russian team. Follow the banner for MorphZilla to get more information on that project.

If I'm not mistaken, the AWeb team is trying to do something in the vein of Safari. (giving it a new core). Check out aweb.sunsite.dk for infos on the Open AWeb team.

Things are happening, but some projects just take time.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »29.03.04 - 06:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    i am very excited abotu the AWeb teams work i would love to see a KHTML browser.....
  • »29.03.04 - 06:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    muckboy
    I think it's only words and rumors. Can anyone really confirm that progress actually has been achieved in porting mozilla or khtml?
    PegasosII/G4@1GHz | 512MB PC2100 ECC/REG | Radeon9200/128MB | Seagate Barracuda 160GB@7200RPM
  • »29.03.04 - 06:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    mozilla to khtml? no no AWeb mozill ais not being ported to khtml...it would be a complete rewrite if they did that
  • »29.03.04 - 07:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    @muckboy

it depends on what you mean by "progress." The first thing the AWeb team had to do was to convert AWeb's SAS/C source to GCC. From what I've heard they've gotten to the point that the GCC conversion has moved right along now.

The Russian team is being very quiet about their port. This is due, in part, to the nature of the "contest." I can't seem to find much info myself on the sourceforge team eaither... Probably the same reason.

I don't know how long it will take, how many people are working on those ports, etc. I get the feeling it will be a total surprise when it happens from the AmiZilla/MorphZilla projects...
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »29.03.04 - 07:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    muckboy
    @targhan

Yes, I know the russians are known to be crazy, but the scope of porting either KHTML or Mozilla is huge! Would take one person twenty years alone ;)

I see there is already a MOS-port of Aweb. Which compiler has been used, if not gcc?
    PegasosII/G4@1GHz | 512MB PC2100 ECC/REG | Radeon9200/128MB | Seagate Barracuda 160GB@7200RPM
  • »29.03.04 - 13:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    For a good team it couldnt take that long. I mean they have working ports for BeOS and OS2! Thats just a shame those systems have it, but we still dont after all these years.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »29.03.04 - 13:32
    Profile Visit Website
    4pLaY
    The problem is that its much more work porting Mozilla to AmigaOS/MOS then OS/2,BeOS etc! thats the real problem here! loads of missing things that needs to be ported/implemented into the OS / hacks on top of the huge work of porting! this is enough to drive any sane coder away from it :).
    http://www.resistance.no
  • »29.03.04 - 13:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Paochi
    Under MOs we need first a minimum of Posix compatibility, or something similar to Libx.
    Without these "little" pieces it will be near impossible to port MOzilla or OpenOffice or anything BIG on MOS.
    Beos is full Posix compliant. Os2 has a lot of Xwin layers to use etc.
    The first action to start on Ami is to Port MOzilla under AmiWin or DaggerX (so that it can tun under TWM or similar enviroments) then we have to fnd a way to have an Xwindow "layer" on Mos to use these ports.
    Anyway it's not a easy "free time" job.
    I hope that Amizilla can solve this isuue due the nature of its project (partially money supported).
    "I hope that all my toys are, first of all, funny!" (Jay Miner)
  • »29.03.04 - 14:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

I see there is already a MOS-port of Aweb. Which compiler has been used, if not gcc?

GCC was used.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »29.03.04 - 15:17
    Profile Visit Website