Amiga User with questions about MorphOS
  • Just looking around
    Hiddenevil
    Hi guys

I've been direct over here, by someone on the Amiga.org forum.

Basically, i've read about the MorphOS and it sounds great. I own a towered A1200, but it doesn't have a PPC.

However i do own a PowerMac 8500 200Mhz and was wondering if MorphOS does or will eventually run on the Mac's.

The thought of turning my mac into a useable Amiga system is really appealing to me.

Cheers
    James
  • »28.02.04 - 22:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    td741
    As far as I know:
    a) MOS doesn't run on any Mac systems at the moment.
    b) There was talk about it being a possibility. But I wouldn't count on it just at the moment.
    Steph
  • »28.02.04 - 22:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    I tend to agree with the answer given already. We want to be able to have MorphOS run on Mac hardware, but right now the majority of effort is on the Pegasos. Maybe I can get someone more knowledgable than I to come in here and give a better prediction of what is happening...
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »28.02.04 - 22:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dholm
    The license agreement for Macs says that you can only run Apple-certified operating systems on them. Therefore you cannot legally provide other operating systems for the computer. This is why the american army had to get Apple's permission to use GNU/Linux on their Xserves.
  • »29.02.04 - 11:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Hiddenevil
    Thats a shame, i have both Amiga, Mac and Pc systems. I heard there was talk of making an os like Morphos (Backwards Compatible with Amiga). But that would run on Mac's and possibly PC's.

I can't use the A1200 even with the Blizzard 060 installed. It's still very slow compared to todays machines.

Apart from emulation, which i dislike. Is there no Amiga alternative availible??

I got the Mac because i thought it was a step closer to the Amiga. And after reading about MorphOS I thought i might finally be able to get something Amiga-ish back!!

Cheers
    James
  • »29.02.04 - 13:26
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    Well, not sure if you're joking ... but there is a
    computer designed exactly for the thing you ask for.
    Amigaish and it runs MorphOS ...

It's called Pegasos
  • »29.02.04 - 13:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Leon
    >The license agreement for Macs says that you can only run Apple-certified operating systems on them.

+ and you can only run MacOS on Mac boxes.

I almost hate the Apple (not the Macs). I find it also very interesting that a company with such strict, ancient, oldfashioned rules and legal stuff can still survive (actually make lots of money) where the world is turning into a much more free era of computing. That's why alternative systems and ideas are valuable at this moment so I see a big chance for Pegasos and MorphOS.

Are there any Mac users who protest Apple or are they only "Mac" users?
    Proud owner of:
    Efika
    ABIT ATI 9200SE AGP 128MB
    40GB Samsung Hard Drive 5400rpm
    -----
    PowerMac 3.1 G4 350Mhz "Sawtooth" AGP
  • »29.02.04 - 15:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    tomjoad
    Quote:

Are there any Mac users who protest Apple or are they only "Mac" users?

On the Mac boards where I hang around I read lots of healthy criticism of Apple, esp. their quality of recent products, prices and service policies nobody's really happy with. This is exactly what I've been missing in the Amiga community (lots of rose-coloured specacles there).

Well they simply make a pretty much amazing operating system. That's reason enough to stick with Apple. Until I bought my dual G5 I never would have thought MacOS would be so great.

So you don't really have to love Apple to stick to their products. They're the only alternative to Windows at the moment, and a damn good one too.
  • »29.02.04 - 19:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hiddendevil

The cool thing about PEgasos is that you can really have many computers in one very easily (notice my sig below and the OSs that run!)

Also, you can run most any Amiga software that supports Cybergrafx (gfx cards) and you can run other classic stuff with UAE..

magnetic

ps I'm about to install Panther on my peg2 :D
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »29.02.04 - 20:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Hiddenevil
    Thanks guys for all the information.

In regards to Robin's remark. No i wasn't joking, i have enough computers to start a small office :-D .

I'm afraid as far as the Amiga goes, i just can't justify splashing out money i don't have. I did that with the Amiga A1200 and ended up having to get a PC just so i could continue my 3D work. That was after getting a new Blizzard 1260/60.

As far as running only MacOS on my Mac, blah! I got my PowerMac 8500 second hand. And if an Amiga compatible OS came out..Well i know what OS wouldn't BE on my HDD.

I think if it becomes possible to hijack my Mac and turn it in to an Amiga. Then i'm all for it. But as far as getting yet more hardware. I simply can't afford it, not to mention i have no room for a third tower!.

Cheers
    James
  • »01.03.04 - 09:46