TuxGuitar Possible?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Twiggy
    Hello all,

I was just wondering how possible it would theoretically be to port something like TuxGuitar to MorphOS? Would Java be the problem, the MIDI playback?

Just curious really.

Thanks
  • »23.06.22 - 07:40
  • ASiegel
    I suppose this is a question for Tcheko.

With regard to TuxGuitar specifically, Java is indeed a showstopper.
  • »23.06.22 - 07:59
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Twiggy wrote:
    Hello all,

I was just wondering how possible it would theoretically be to port something like TuxGuitar to MorphOS? Would Java be the problem, the MIDI playback?

Just curious really.

Thanks

MIDI playback, not a problem at all. Old CAMD stuff is working fine. You can even play SMF (midi files) with PlayMidi command for example.

Porting TuxGuitar would first need to have a JVM ported and all the deps required for TuxGuitar. Hardly something I would ever undertake.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »23.06.22 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Twiggy
    Thanks for the replies people. So a JVM, which I'd imagine would be a huge undertaking would be the issue. The main dependency I notice on Linux when installing TuxGuitar is OpenJDK.

Would a JVM open up for a lot more software being portable to MorphOS, should it ever get one?
  • »26.06.22 - 09:11
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Would a JVM open up for a lot more software being portable to MorphOS, should it ever get one?

Porting a JVM would be a lot of effort for relatively little gain. If you have MacOS installed on any PowerPC hardware, you can try out the performance and review what applications are available.

There are more promising options to help increase the pool of software.
  • »26.06.22 - 09:34
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Twiggy
    Thanks for the info and assessment of the situation.

I don't suppose there are any similar editors that support gp5 files or even MIDI with a similar layout?
  • »26.06.22 - 10:45