New Modern Webkit-based Browser In Development
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Rats
    I keep getting certifcate errors on a fresh install of morphos. Bit of a noob with this can you guys help?

[ Edited by Rats 02.03.2021 - 16:15 ]
  • »02.03.21 - 16:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Make sure your system clock is set up correctly.
  • »02.03.21 - 16:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Rats
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Make sure your system clock is set up correctly.

thanks!
  • »02.03.21 - 16:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    Ok, is there still room for improvement for Radeon 9x00 class graphics cards? I think these one are the most common cards used in MorphOS systems. Maybe for 9600/9800, as used in G5s or Powerbooks?

There's room for improvement vs OWB, for sure. I'm hoping I'd be able to use overlay in windowed mode.

That would rock. For G4 machines if lower quality streams like 240/320p worked smoothly I would be happy, specially if it used overlay.

For G5 720p will be very decent and if hardware accelerated video playing worked smoothly it would be a good reason to upgrade.

Does the tcp/ip stack and the Sana2 driver architecture allow to offload cpu as much as other OSes?
  • »03.03.21 - 07:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > if [...] 240/320p worked smoothly I would be happy,
    > specially if it used overlay.

I would prefer 240p/360p to work smoothly without using overlay, because then overlay could probably be used to smoothen 480p ;-)

> Does the tcp/ip stack and the Sana2 driver architecture
    > allow to offload cpu as much as other OSes?

The SANA-II driver interface is definitely not fit for current Internet transfer speeds. As Olaf 'olsen' Barthel has been telling during at least the last decade, there's no making use of many capabilities of modern NICs (and doing calculations in software instead) and too much copying around of data. I doubt this is significantly different for MorphOS compared to AmigaOS.
  • »03.03.21 - 07:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    I would prefer 240p/360p to work smoothly without using overlay, because then overlay could probably be used to smoothen 480p ;-)

Smooth playback without overlay (or rendering to a custom window outside of the HTML view) is not technically possible. A faster CPU or hw video decoding wouldn't help. As a matter of fact, hardware video decoding would likely make things slower if rendering inside the HTML, due to the fact that video frames would have to be read from graphics card memory by the CPU.
  • »03.03.21 - 16:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Smooth playback without overlay (or rendering to a custom window outside of the HTML view) is not technically possible. A faster CPU or hw video decoding wouldn't help. As a matter of fact, hardware video decoding would likely make things slower if rendering inside the HTML, due to the fact that video frames would have to be read from graphics card memory by the CPU.

So - basicaly speaking - all the mainstream browsers use overlay when playing YT videos?
  • »03.03.21 - 16:26
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    No. But remember that the UI pipeline is a separate process in mainstream browsers. There's no main thread bottleneck there. You're also compositing several textures to build the HTML view, unlike with Wayfarer where everything is rendered into one cairo surface.
  • »03.03.21 - 18:44
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:
    There is a chance that 720p will have acceptable performance (though that means disabling vp9 support since that one is too heavy, apparently).

I thought vp9 would be youtubes' standard video format? What's the (faster) alternative?

As far as I got it av1 will be the standard some time in the future but currently it's not widely deployed. It also got lots of SIMD-code for x86_64 and arm to boost its' performance but I doubt it has equally good Altivec/VSX-code for PPC.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »04.03.21 - 01:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    YT falls back to good-ol h264 if vp9 and av1 aren't available.
  • »04.03.21 - 02:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    As far as I got it av1 will be the standard some time in the future but currently it's not widely deployed. It also got lots of SIMD-code for x86_64 and arm to boost its' performance but I doubt it has equally good Altivec/VSX-code for PPC.

They seem to have no support for BE PPC at all in libvpx.
  • »04.03.21 - 12:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:

We need Drivers for newer Cards with at least UVD3 support better UVD4 best would be UVD5.
    So everyone who needs Video encoding could get himself an PM 11.2.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »04.03.21 - 13:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > We need Drivers for newer Cards with at least
    > UVD3 support better UVD4 best would be UVD5.

UVD3 because of MPEG-4 decoding, right? And UVD5 because of 4K resolution, right? But why UVD4? Because of Fluid Motion? H.265 decoding starts with UVD6, btw. (and 10-bit colour depth support with UVD6.2).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder#Format_support

> So everyone who needs Video encoding could get
    > himself an PM 11.2.

I don't think video encoding (VCE/VCN for H.264, UVD6.3+/VCN for H.265) should matter before video decoding is supported.
  • »04.03.21 - 13:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I am not sure where you guys are going with this. This is certainly off-topic here. I'm not in the business of writing drivers for hardware video decoders and any changes in CGX are totally out of scope. Video playback in Wayfarer will, at least for now, be limited to cards with overlay support.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 04.03.2021 - 18:22 ]
  • »04.03.21 - 17:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Yes its off-topic here.

@Andreas_Wolf oh i got decoding and encoding mixed up.

[ Editiert durch ThePlayer 04.03.2021 - 18:49 ]
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »04.03.21 - 17:48
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:

Probably they had in the past but BE PPC support has been broken for some time. To make it build at all 'generic cpu' has to be selected in configure options. Which makes it build but still the test-suite fails in many cases (klick).

av1 on the other hand (at least the dav1d guys) is open for contributions from 'alternative' arches and test suite passes on ppc. One point in the roadmap (klick) even is "Accelerate for less common architectures, like PPC, SSE2 or AVX-512." But don't know whether current av1 is faster/slower on ppc compared to vp9.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »04.03.21 - 22:21
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Georg
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Smooth playback without overlay (or rendering to a custom window outside of the HTML view) is not technically possible.

Can't you use the gfx card blitter to blit overlay-like YUV (or whatever) pixelformat buffers to RGB bitmaps?
  • »05.03.21 - 06:31
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Maybe if I manage to get WebCore layering to work. Not on the agenda for now - too much work.
  • »06.03.21 - 16:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Great work! Seems very optimized already looking at the spare CPU cycles left on the table.
  • »07.03.21 - 05:32
    Cool_amigaN
    How did you capture the video? What sort of equipment did you use? What would it extra be needed to capture the audio as well?

Amazing work btw. I remember that about a decade ago my G4 1.6ghz was able to reach 720p (on full screen with overlay, while doing 480p on window mode). I would never imagined that Morphos would serve me again as a fully fledged internet machine. It makes sticking to the system for everyday usage much, much easier and more convenient!

Hope you to test it asap 😊

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 07.03.2021 - 10:03 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »07.03.21 - 08:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Getting there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBe3iMoMJ9g

Great work! And this on a Mac mini. You see me impressed :)

I was impressed when I thought it was on a G5 now even more impressed this is on a MacMini!

Keep up the great work, this is so impressive.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »07.03.21 - 11:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Pretty impressive indeed. Good work!
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »07.03.21 - 11:56
    Profile Visit Website