New Modern Webkit-based Browser In Development
  • K-L
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    K-L
    Hi,

I could download this file without any problem on a IceFS partition.

And thanks Jacadcaps for WayFarer 1.6 !
    PowerMac G5 2,7 Ghz / Radeon 9650 / MorphOS 3.15
    AmigaOne X1000 (unused ATM)
  • »17.11.20 - 08:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Installed this on my PowerBook G4 last night and then my G5 Quad this morning and works well on both.

Definite speed increase on the G5 less obvious on the G4 but then that is probably understandable.

Thanks Jacadcaps for all the hard work on this really appreciated.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »17.11.20 - 08:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

xeno74 wrote:
    Could you please check if you can download the following tar.gz file with Wayfarer?

Download: linux-image-5.10-rc4-X1000_X5000.tar.gz

Yes, both via clicking on the link and via context menu. Are you sure your download path is set correctly?
  • »17.11.20 - 12:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    xeno74
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:
    Yes, both via clicking on the link and via context menu. Are you sure your download path is set correctly?

Yes, I am sure. Wayfarer does not notice the end of the file and continues to download the file. It could be an issue with the X5000 onboard ethernet. Or Wayfarer can not calculate the size and download time because of an issue with the X5000 onboard ethernet. I can download the file with the Odyssey Web Browser so it isn't a big issue for me.
  • »17.11.20 - 12:46
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Quote:

xeno74 wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:

Yes, I am sure. Wayfarer does not notice the end of the file and continues to download the file. It could be an issue with the X5000 onboard ethernet. Or Wayfarer can not calculate the size and download time because of an issue with the X5000 onboard ethernet. I can download the file with the Odyssey Web Browser so it isn't a big issue for me.

I confirm this behaviour on my MorphOS system (PMac G5, MorphOS 3.14, Wayfarer 1.6, MorphOS System Partition with SFS)
  • »17.11.20 - 14:13
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Me too, I tried to download both Ram Disk and a PFS partition, and:

linux-image-5.10-rc4-X1000_X5000.tar.gz.owb 52008170
    linux-image-5.10-rc4-X1000_X5000.tar.gz.wget 52008170
    linux-image-5.10-rc4-X1000_X5000.tar.gz.wayfarer 119756800

And to clarify, you "can" download, but the resulting file isn't correct, it's much bigger than it should be.

EDIT: it seems that Wayfarer unarchives the gz on the fly (but doesn't change the extension)! The resulting file is the same if/when you unpack the .gz downloaded with other programs. I don't think this is a desired way usually though, so maybe if it could be disabled for downloaded files even though it might do that for some web content or so?

[ Edited by jPV 17.11.2020 - 16:40 ]
  • »17.11.20 - 14:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    That "decompressing on the fly" behaviour will be fixed for the next release. Clearly it should be doing that for direct downloads.
  • »17.11.20 - 14:55
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

xeno74 wrote:

Wayfarer does not notice the end of the file and continues to download the file. It could be an issue with the X5000 onboard ethernet. Or Wayfarer can not calculate the size and download time because of an issue with the X5000 onboard ethernet. I can download the file with the Odyssey Web Browser so it isn't a big issue for me.

As speculated by jPV the file does download just fine. It, however, is decompressed on the fly, and thus it appears as if it would "go past the end". This also throws off the ETA calculation.

The downloaded file is 100% okay (once it truly completes the download), it's just a ".tar" file then, instead of the expected ".tar.gz".

Either way, this confusing behaviour is already fixed in the development build and will be released soon as part of the next Wayfarer release.
  • »17.11.20 - 21:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    I was just wondering about this feature: "Mid-2020 WebKit supports most modern websites".

How difficult (and how much work) is it to upgrade to a recent WebKit? How often does it make sense to do so? Twice a year? Once?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »17.11.20 - 22:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Zetec-s wrote: [... Definite speed increase on the G5 less obvious on the G4 but then that is probably understandable...]

I'd have to say - using my MacMini that using Wayfarer is definitely a lot quicker/more responsive with v1.6 compared to v1.5
    Quote:

Zetec-s wrote: Thanks Jacadcaps for all the hard work on this really appreciated.

Not forgetting Piru, jPV, [comma :-P] and others in the Dev. Team.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »17.11.20 - 22:31
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    How difficult (and how much work) is it to upgrade to a recent WebKit? How often does it make sense to do so? Twice a year? Once?

I've already done a rebase 3 times during the development prior to the 1.0 release. I also have a work-in-progress branch that's rebased to a more recent tree. It's about 2-3 days to apply the diffs and work out the kinks required for the browser to run again. Some extra polish may take longer though. I'll look into rebasing again after media playback is in.
  • »17.11.20 - 23:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

I'll look into rebasing again after media playback is in.

Wow! :-o
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »18.11.20 - 06:31
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    xeno74
    Quote:

Piru schrieb:
    The downloaded file is 100% okay (once it truly completes the download), it's just a ".tar" file then, instead of the expected ".tar.gz".

Either way, this confusing behaviour is already fixed in the development build and will be released soon as part of the next Wayfarer release.

Great! Thanks a lot!
  • »18.11.20 - 07:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Not forgetting Piru, jPV, [plus the others in the Dev. Team.

Fixed that for the Grammar Stasi. ;)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »18.11.20 - 08:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

@ Intuition - Fixed that for the Grammar Stasi. ;)

Quote:

Stasi - The Ministry for State Security or State Security Service, commonly known as the Stasi, was the official state security service of the German Democratic Republic. It has been described as one of the most effective and repressive intelligence and secret police agencies ever to have existed. Wikipedia

I think that is cause for a complaint against you, or any other action that is thought necessary by a moderator and for you to make an apology to have made such a reprehensible reference to me as some form of GDR Secret Police, for inferring my simple comment and humour, merely for a correction of a misunderstanding of interpretation of punctuation and comment.

I ask formally to have your remarks removed, an apology offered, and your mis-quote removed or re-edied to read as it did before, as it no longer is a quote if you change/edit it - is it?

I do not expect to have such remarks made on this site, by anyone to anyone else, and anyone should be ashamed of themselves for making such a remark/reference to anyone else on here.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »19.11.20 - 09:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

@ Intuition - Fixed that for the Grammar Stasi. ;)

Quote:

Stasi - The Ministry for State Security or State Security Service, commonly known as the Stasi, was the official state security service of the German Democratic Republic. It has been described as one of the most effective and repressive intelligence and secret police agencies ever to have existed. Wikipedia

I think that is cause for a complaint against you, or any other action that is thought necessary by a moderator and for you to make an apology to have made such a reprehensible reference to me as some form of GDR Secret Police, for inferring my simple comment and humour, merely for a correction of a misunderstanding of interpretation of punctuation and comment.

I ask formally to have your remarks removed, an apology offered, and your mis-quote removed or re-edied to read as it did before, as it no longer is a quote if you change/edit it - is it?

I do not expect to have such remarks made on this site, by anyone to anyone else, and anyone should be ashamed of themselves for making such a remark/reference to anyone else on here.

:facepalm:

Well that went straight over your head. Wasn't even aimed at you, it was in support of you.

I have an autistic son, I'll speak to you like I speak to him in future if that helps?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »19.11.20 - 10:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Intuition - even if that was in support of me, whch is not at all clear - as the only member on here that you name in that comment is me, NewSense - no-one else, so how is that supposed to be interpreted?

I'll take it from what you have now said that it was not directed at me . . . but it should not be directed at anyone on here, and please don't go down the 2nd paragraph route either as that does not help the situation in any case.
  • »19.11.20 - 10:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    @ Intuition - even if that was in support of me, whch is not at all clear - as the only member on here that you name in that comment is me, NewSense - no-one else, so how is that supposed to be interpreted?

I'll take it from what you have now said that it was not directed at me . . . but it should not be directed at anyone on here, and please don't go down the 2nd paragraph route either as that does not help the situation in any case.

Several people have had a go at your for your sentence formation not being clear.

I fixed your sentence to make it clear to them.

Common internet parlance is to refer to people who nitpick at other people's grammar as a "Grammar Nazi". Grammar Stasi is a play on words. It's very clear.

I'm sure there are many people on this forum who live or have lived in a former Communist country (Such as myself). Can't see anyone else taking offence but you.

• »19.11.20 - 12:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    This community is weird, seems a lot of topics are being totally derailed with trivial things that gets some people so worked up.

Why should topics be polluted by this nonsense and not stick to the topic at hand?

Thanks jaca for the new version, much appreciated! It's running well and I haven't picked up any issues so far.
  • »19.11.20 - 12:59
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Yo Jaca, google maps works again for me, thanks for fixing the bug :)

In my experience, it's noticeable faster than previous version on my G4 1.6Ghz.

Will you implement side scrolling with mouse?

Also, is it possible to have an option for scrolling height selection? Ie. one option with how it works currently and an option for half the pixel distance (like it's on OWB)?

Basically like I 've stated in the past OWB creates the effect of smooth scrolling, so I think would be cool :)

Btw, gmaps with satellite view of Athens region consumed 600MB (that was a damn one tab, only!) and needed around 2 mins, topping 99.99% my cpu consumption.

Boy, how times have changed on the internet requirements.. :/

Always had the secret hope that Wayfarer will be the final push of our OS port to x64 with some added features :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »19.11.20 - 14:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Will you implement side scrolling with mouse?

Written it down.
  • »20.11.20 - 13:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    A minor update to 1.7 is now out.

Implemented an optional online version check
    Added a Safari/iPad spoofing option
    Tweaked to save settings periodically after edits
    Added Local Storage and Application Cache settings
    Enabled Application Cache
    Worked around servers that compress file downloads
    Fixed a crash when opening host settings from menu

[ Edited by jacadcaps 20.11.2020 - 15:00 ]
  • »20.11.20 - 14:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    I am really impressed. What you do for our little community is unique!!
  • »20.11.20 - 18:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    I installed 1.7 last night on my G5 and the loading time for starting it up is now massive. In fact it went over 5 minutes twice and I simply rebooted.

I've still got the 1.6 download on a separate partition and that boots up almost instantly, so not sure what the difference is.

Just thought I would put this out there.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »21.11.20 - 12:42