• jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    That is, apart from ext2/ext3 (v0.48 updated in 2021) (from the Linux realm) which we have a filesystem for, but I cannot remember it being advertised as being useful, but it does seem to be capable of storing 16GB of data in one filesize . . .

I think ext2/ext3 are the best options for larger files for us, and in my impression they are stable solutions and the only draw-back is that they don't support Amiga/MorphOS file properties. But for storing generic files, like large image files, they should be just fine.

Quote:

but how you get the data file over from a SFS or FAT filesystem, where usually you would activate Wayfarer from to download such a large file - as if the file is over 4GB then that could not be stored on a SFS or FAT filesystem to then be transferred to the EXT2 filesystem media? :-?

Set the Downloads Path setting in Wayfarer directly to the EXT2 partition, then it doesn't download the files to other location first. It's a bit clumsy solution, but hopefully jaca will fix it in the new downloader code :)

Quote:

The EXT2 filesystem also seems to be quite troublesome to setup on MorphOS, or has this been made simpler than downloading and working through the process with GiggleDisk by Guido 'geit' Mersmann?

GiggleDisk isn't needed in the process anymore, you can mount EXT partitions with the bundled Mounter tool. You can also create mountlists with it by clicking the Mount on Boot button, it'll save a mountlist to DEVS:DOSDrivers then.

One thing I'm not sure is that can you create an EXT partition with other than MBR partition table... so it might be difficult to get such a partition on your system HD which has a MAC/RDB partition table. I've only used it on external USB devices.

And if you want files bigger than 16GB... in theory it depends on the block size that's been set. 1024 bytes block size makes max file size to 16GB, 2048 would increase it to 256GB, 4096 to 2TB, etc. I have forgotten how did I format my external 2TB backup HD to EXT, but I think I did it under Linux and probably used block size or 4096 bytes (4kB) to get larger file sizes. In any case I have now a 240GB rawdisk image copy of my system HD on it, and it seems to work. I can mount it to copy files from/to it etc. as described here.
  • »21.11.23 - 07:42
    Profile Visit Website