• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps - thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated, but ...
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: Drop down is a blocking menu so you are effectively preventing JavaScript running on the site while you keep it open.

OK, but why will the video play correctly then, as surely the JavaScript should be handled correctly inside the browser's mechanisms, which it somehow seems to be misbehaving currently and not doing what it should. In fact when I do get a video playing it seems to miss off the first few seconds of the video file and play - part-way along, but with no sound (I have amended my AHI prefs to what you have suggested - but with little, if any, benefit/success) for most occasions I use it/try to play a video, but the BBC site handles videos/movies/sound it in a well behaved manner and it all works as it should.
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: As for memory consumption I can only suggest you try it on a machine with more RAM.

Bear in mind that RAM is consumed within seconds, so even if I had 830MB RAM more then that would be "gobbled up" within just a few seconds it seems. I've watched the RAM disappear, it goes in chunks of 100-200MB within a moment :-o (1-2 seconds), I don't think your"solution" is a realistically workable idea to the obvious problem it is. It seems to me that some memory handling process internally in Wayfarer is "running amok" - out of control on the Formula 1 website, in this regard.
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: The reason is misconfigured AHI. f1.com tries to play 2+ streams at once to automatically manage the quality (ha ha) which is the source of your issues.

So, having changed the AHI settings to what you have suggested has not improved the situation - still no sound, and that's if I "catch" Wayfarer before it "gorges" on whatever RAM I have, usually 500+MB or so, within a few seconds - and then crashes.

There's currently a PodCast with Christian Horner on the Formula 1 website, and obviously that doesn't require video capabilities, but even with the suggestion of changing AHI prefs, which I have complied with, there is no audio, but the PodCast seems to be downloading within the Wayfarer data stream, but is just not getting played, as my RAM resources are dwindling slowly but surely - with no benefit of hearing what was recorded in the podcast.

As soon as I release/close that page/tab the RAM resource goes back to where it was before I loaded the page and clicked on the podcast, so something is definitely not working as we could expect it to. I started with about 400MB and now it's down to 326MB and continuing to drop, so that's 74MB for a podcast to play - which doesn't, but is continuing to "hog" Wayfarer's resources. As I've typed this remark the RAM is now down to 301MB, and the download activity at last seems to have completed, so I might assume the podcast is about 100MB of data in size(?) - but still no audio at all, and the RAM resource is still dropping and I'm doing nothing extra to incur that penalty/change, but I can load WebRadio or play an MP3 or a CD or any other audio, just not get any audio from the Formula 1 website.

Additional to that, the same podcast is also hosted on https://audioboom.com - Christian Horner on Verstappen's evolution, RedBull's bold ambitions & Vettel v Webber . . . and I cannot get the audio to play from that website either, so surely it is something to do with how Wayfarer/MorphOS handles audio that is affecting this issue? :-?

The only other thing to mention is that on the audioboom website my RAM resources are barely affected.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »30.06.21 - 23:45