Time for a bounty to upgrade Odyssey (OWB)?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > OWB [...] requires regular updates to keep it relevant, which is no simple task,
    > I would imagine, especially as it seems that WebKit is basically out-of-date anyway.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this statement. In case it means that WebKit in general is out-of-date, then no, WebKit is still in active development.
  • »24.03.19 - 22:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    ....let me tell you that I am looking into merging Fab's Odyssey into a 2017 state of WebKit with internetzel's patches included. If you guys feel like collecting some money for this cause will help - you are right. Do note, however, that any work I do is and will be exclusive to MorphOS.

WTF and JSCore are already patched by the way. Digging through WebCore right now. There's a lot of stuff that is totally obsolete in Fab's patches so a feature set of any new browser will be different than the old one.

I'm very happy to read that one of my favorite developers, "jacadcaps", is looking into merging Fab's Odyssey work, with anything that will make a newer and more capable version of Odyssey for MorphOS users. Someone please set up a specific Odyssey bounty project, and consult with jacadcaps for the description of the exact work and goals, so we can advertise this bounty to the rest of the MorphOS users, and raise the money which will help Jacek thrive, while he works on this important program for all of us. If there is a way to add BigFoot, and his JIT work to the project, and fairly divide the bounty money between the two developers, that would be even better.

I don't mind donating to the Iris project, knowing that it will also help Jacek to work on Odyssey, but think that a separate bounty would generate much more interest, and donations.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »25.03.19 - 01:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

is a small-endian version of MorphOS still in the cards? At all?

Anyone?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »25.03.19 - 22:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    There is still a long term plan like that, sure :)
  • »26.03.19 - 10:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    There's a huge amount of changes in libWTF, which is where a lot of the platform specific code resides... Going through all of the files now, trying to build them and write / port all of the new stuff...
  • »29.03.19 - 14:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    libWTF... :lol:
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »29.03.19 - 15:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    There's a huge amount of changes in libWTF, which is where a lot of the platform specific code resides... Going through all of the files now, trying to build them and write / port all of the new stuff...

Is there any part of the work needed to upgrade Odyssey to a more modern version that can be done by other programmers, to help lighten the workload you are attempting to complete? I'm always surprised how often development projects in our community are completed (or attempted), by single programmers, instead of groups of programmers working together. Even a small group would surely be more productive than a solo programmer working alone, and given the fact that all MorphOS users and programmers need a better web browser, I would think that there would be several people who could help, and would be willing to work with you Jacek.
  • »31.03.19 - 18:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Is there any part of the work needed to upgrade Odyssey to a more modern version that can be done by other programmers, to help lighten the workload you are attempting to complete?

Yes there is. Porting this stuff is not just modifying WebKit components. It's also bringing our SDK up to speed - mostly related to making sure our compilers have all the necessary C++ stuff enabled and working.

Making slow but steady progress on WTF. I've rewritten all of Fab's memory allocation routines over the weekend.
  • »01.04.19 - 09:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Is there any part of the work needed to upgrade Odyssey to a more modern version that can be done by other programmers, to help lighten the workload you are attempting to complete?

Yes there is. Porting this stuff is not just modifying WebKit components. It's also bringing our SDK up to speed - mostly related to making sure our compilers have all the necessary C++ stuff enabled and working.

Making slow but steady progress on WTF. I've rewritten all of Fab's memory allocation routines over the weekend.

I guess I should have asked if you have contacted any of the other MorphOS Dev. Team members, to ask them if they would be willing to help you with the workload you are attempting to complete alone, or if any of our few remaining non-MorphOS Dev. Team member, MorphOS programmers could be asked to help you with this project?

I wish I knew more about programming, and had experience with C/C++, which I assume is the language you are probably using for most, or all of the work you are doing to improve the Odyssey code.
  • »02.04.19 - 01:38
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I guess I should have asked if you have contacted any of the other MorphOS Dev. Team members, to ask them if they would be willing to help you with the workload you are attempting to complete alone, or if any of our few remaining non-MorphOS Dev. Team member, MorphOS programmers could be asked to help you with this project?

I wish I knew more about programming, and had experience with C/C++, which I assume is the language you are probably using for most, or all of the work you are doing to improve the Odyssey code.

Great news, eh David? I'm not sure how much work Mark has completed on his JIT project, but hopefully all this can get merged together.
    Frankly, web browsing is one of the primary tasks I use my computers for.
    A good word processor and a decent web browser would suffice for about 90% of my computing needs.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »02.04.19 - 11:57
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    Hmmm....I have the feeling and I could be wrong here...correct me if I am wrong....but....

jim's 90% of his computing needs are word processing and web browsing.
  • »03.04.19 - 14:09