• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I seem to remember fitting a Radeon 9200 PCI Gfx card in my PowerMac G5 to check if it would be useful, and it did at least work, though it obviously wasn't in the AGP slot, so a lot slower, but useful if you've nothing else. That worked for MorphOS as well as for Mac OS X I seem to remember, but as I said, it wouldn't be my first choice anyway.

I later got a Radeon 9600 PowerMac G5 Mac Apple standard 128MB Gfx card for £1 which is in my system now, and is more straightforward to use.

Quote:

Andreas Wolf: With MorphOS and Linux this can be circumvented by using an AtomBIOS-based Radeon (R500+) card.

Which specific cards are these - specifically by model number, if you know? :-? (haha/huhu - Andreas NOT know something about what he quoted?!)
    Quote:

Jim: Alternately an X1950Pro or X1600 AGP PC video card could be used

They still seem to sell for quite a lot, and they don't seem to be that easy to source, or are they?

I am not sure that I would recommend an R500 card for the G5 as the cards that work rely on a PCIe to AGP bridge chip that slows down the transfer rate.
    Personally, I just used a Radeon 9600 as they are cheap, plentiful, and perform adequately.
    And the R300 driver is fairly mature, so 9600 and 9800 cards work well under MorphOS.
    R400 cards like the X800XT are also an option, but only offer a modest performance boost.

Anything higher really requires a PCIe expansion slot, and at this point the only supported system with this is the SAM460.
    This will improve when X5000 support is released, but that system has some issues including surprisingly low memory bandwidth.

Were we to received PowerMac 11,2 support we'd be able to support everything up to the GCN Gen1 cards, making cheap, powerful cards like the HD 7850 an option.

So far...that idea has been rejected, even though proof of concept ports have been done.
    I have a PCIe Quad G5, but will probably buy an X5000/40 when it is introduced because I want to have a MorphOS PPC system that uses a Radeon HD 5000 or 6000 series card.

I'll dual boot Linux and MorphOS from this and be satisfied that my final MorphOS PPC system is the best I can get.

An expensive alternative since 11,2 PowerMac would be a cheaper (and probably more powerful) solution.
    But I'm fanatical enough to go for that.

Sorry to go so far off course...
    Again, if I were you I would go with an Apple Radeon 9600, 9800, or X800XT.

[ Edited by Jim 07.02.2018 - 10:38 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »07.02.18 - 15:36