Iris - An upcoming E-Mail client blog
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    mahen
    Hi ! Back to MOS, 15 years later, I'm a bit rusty :)
    Clean 3.13 install + iris (absolutely nothing else installed yet), I get the following message and couldn't find anything relevant in SnoopDos :

objc runtime: cannot find class MUIPopbutton

I couldn't find any MUI class named this way anywhere on the net :)
    cheers & thanks so much for this new piece of s/w !

[ Edited by mahen 19.08.2020 - 23:28 ]
    xmpp:mahen on jabber.fr
  • »19.08.20 - 22:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Sorry for that, I don't routinely test with 3.13. Please re-download the archive, should be good now.
  • »20.08.20 - 03:31
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    mahen
    @jacadcaps : No problem :-) Okay it starts now, doesn't seem to work with my imap server though ! When adding it, it tries for a minute or two then gets back to the wizard (SSL/TLS).

I use the server specified here : https://docs.yulpa.io/hosting-shared/emails-zimbra-open-source/configuration-thunderbird

imap.web4all.fr / imap-zose.yulpa.io (same one, new name, as it used to be a non-lucrative association which turned into a small company)

I can create a test account for you, please let me know by email ! my nickname [at] free [dot] fr !

Thanks so much :)

[ Edited by mahen 22.08.2020 - 23:23 ]
  • »22.08.20 - 22:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Mail sent. Should be something simple - but the fact that this is a small company works to its disadvantage - small providers are unlikely to be included in Mozilla's autoconfiguration. This is where Iris obtains autoconfig data from.
  • »23.08.20 - 01:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Emailed you screens with the correct configuration...
  • »23.08.20 - 20:12
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    mahen
    Thanks Jacadcaps, so far so good !
    Cannot believe I didn't figure it out by myself, /shame.
  • »24.08.20 - 09:54
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Many thanks for this impressive-looking email client.

I haven't been able to get it to connect to my university Outlook email service. I'm using the latest version of Iris which I think is installed correnctly (e.g. OpenURL settings entered, loopback active). With the latest OWB, when I attempt to configure Iris via the "Outlook" option on first-run, I get a "User name not recognised" error from Microsoft. I've checked my email address is correct :) I've also tried OWB 1.23 and 1.24 (with and without Opera spoofing). With 1.23, I got just the same. With 1.24, I got some non-working white box outlines (which were the account select buttons I think).

Would love to get this working if possible!

Cheers
  • »02.10.20 - 18:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Yes, it's quite unfortunate. Things will improve as soon as Wayfarer is out.
  • »02.10.20 - 18:20
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Will keep an eye out for when that comes out, and try again. Thanks though.
  • »02.10.20 - 19:57
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    You should be fine once you setup Wayfarer as the default browser in OpenURL settings. There's info on how to do this on the website. Google, Yahoo and Outlook setup all works fine.
  • »04.10.20 - 16:37
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    You should be fine once you setup Wayfarer as the default browser in OpenURL settings. There's info on how to do this on the website. Google, Yahoo and Outlook setup all works fine.

Wow! I wasn't expecting that the day after hitting the roadblock! Amazing work guys.
  • »04.10.20 - 19:36
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Iris 0.94 is now out, with minor crash fixes in autoconfiguration and updated libs.

The plan now is to migrate to the Wayfarer core as soon as Wayfarer has the same feature coverage (read: printing). This will automagically fix issues like tab navigation in the email editor.
  • »18.10.20 - 02:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    When importing a mail (with command "Load message"), it cannot moved to an Iris-folder (let's say to INBOX) for further use. There ist a menue-entry "Move Messages", which opend a "Folder"-window, but with no entries to choose....
    When forwarding or reply such a massage it looses it's html-format and fall back to pure text.
    Is there anything to change in prefs?
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »28.10.20 - 08:21
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    It's not what the feature was supposed to do. I've added this as a TODO item to my list now...
  • »28.10.20 - 11:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Thank you :)
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »28.10.20 - 16:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I know that MorphOS is not a secure operating system, except that it is less likely to get attacked simply because of its obscurity (not worth the hackers time and effort for such low number of users), but is there any additional security features built into Iris and/or Wayfarer?

Is it unlikely that a virus, or other malware intended for Windows/Linux/MacOSX users will have any effect on MorphOS systems? (probably a noob question, but I'm feeling particularly stupid today)

For reference, I had considered setting up one MacOSX system, for the express purpose of doing all of my email correspondence on it, in hopes that it would protect my Windows system from becoming infected if I limited it just for other tasks, and never opened another email on it in the future. Is this unrealistic?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.10.20 - 19:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I know that MorphOS is not a secure operating system, except that it is less likely to get attacked simply because of its obscurity (not worth the hackers time and effort for such low number of users), but is there any additional security features built into Iris and/or Wayfarer?

Since I work as a security consultant as a trade this kind of falls under my domain. I'll try to keep this as non-technical as possible.

1. WebKit (and Wayfarer) attempt to be as secure as they can be. The code has been written in a way that tries to minimize the possibility of exploitable flaws.

2. On top of the security features of WebKit (and Wayfarer), browsers typically rely on the operating system isolating different processes from each other. This is fairly standard thing to have. Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android, iOS, BSD variants etc have it. We don't.

3. Often there are also several different security levels (or domains), starting from very high privilege system users and ending up on low-privileged regular user. Most users should be using these low-privilege user accounts for their browsing to limit damage that could happen if the browser is compromised. On MorphOS you're always a high privilege system user.

4. Modern browsers use also so called "sandboxing": The web page rendering and scripting are isolated from the other - more critical - parts of the browser. If some exploit can be found from the rendering or JavaScript engine the exploit will only gain access to very restricted environment within the sandbox (and the attacker doesn't gain access user's files for example). We don't have this feature either.

Quote:

Is it unlikely that a virus, or other malware intended for Windows/Linux/MacOSX users will have any effect on MorphOS systems? (probably a noob question, but I'm feeling particularly stupid today)

We're indeed saved by the obscurity. None of the typical exploits written targeting the more prominent platforms will work. That doesn't mean it would somehow be impossible to target MorphOS, however, far from it. In fact, it would be far easier to write exploits that target MorphOS vs pretty much any other platform out there. However, again, we're so insignificant it's highly unlikely to ever happen.

Quote:

For reference, I had considered setting up one MacOSX system, for the express purpose of doing all of my email correspondence on it, in hopes that it would protect my Windows system from becoming infected if I limited it just for other tasks, and never opened another email on it in the future. Is this unrealistic?

Rather than trying to avoid certain operating systems, the most important trick is to keep your system up to date with security updates: Both Operating System and the applications you use. Enable automatic updates, if such feature is available. On windows I'd recommend using PatchMyPC or similar tool aiding to keep applications up to date.

Second tip is to use common sense. If you get an email with that promises you millions or lets you know of a package arriving via DHL or UPS (and you didn't order anyway) don't open the attachment or follow the links in this email. If you get a supposed email from your bank, your favourite social media, netflix, spotify or similar, always log in to your account via the browser by entering the site yourself. Do not follow any of the links provided in the email messages.

If you follow these tips you will be just fine, regardless of the platform you use.
  • »28.10.20 - 20:48
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Both Iris and Wayfarer use sanitization techniques on data coming from the network (to avoid crashing the app via the MUI escape sequences in strings for example). Iris also has several tweaks preventing email address spoofing.
  • »29.10.20 - 00:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thanks for the detailed (and dumbed down) reply. I already knew most, if not all of what you wrote, and I am very careful about not using links provided in emails, unless the email is received directly after an action I started on a website and the email is in response to my action. I suppose I should even be more careful with those as well.

One of my biggest complaints about using Windows, is the seeming dozens and dozens of task, services, etc. that are always running in the background, and appear to be slowing down my computer so that it seems like I am back to running a 386 CPU bridgeboard in my A2000, trying to run Windows 3.1.

That's why I often think about using a MacOSX system for web browsing and emails (I believe it is more secure than Windows, and I own an older iPhone SE that I could sync to it), a MorphOS system for my AmigaLike fix and everything that I can run at a reasonable speed, and a Windows system that is pared down to the bare minimum needed to run my CAD software, and perhaps a game or two, that are not available, or don't run as well, on a MacOSX or Linux system. I have also considered trying to run AmiKit, either on top of the pared down Windows install, or on top of Linux, as my daily computer, with the RabbitHole feature to run native Windows or Linux programs transparently. I'm long over due for a complete re-install on both my desktop and laptop Windows systems, but I dread the process, and fear losing something. I really need to do it though, as I'm sure I can end up with a more satisfactory running system, if done properly.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.10.20 - 00:46
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Trekman
    Hello, I just tried printing out of Iris. I installed a RicohSP400DN Laserprinter on the network and installed it within Turboprint and the new PPD Printing system. Therefore I mounted NETPRT0: as target for printouts. When I print from Iris to NETPRT0: the printer only clicks an then it does nothing. When I print to file (e.g. iris.ps) and throw the file with "copy iris.ps netprt0:" its the same. When I put the printout through PS: (TP) it works flawlessly. I tried ps files from VPDF to compare. They work without problems when going directly to NETPRT0:. So it seems the generated ps files from iris are not working although the printer is capable of Level3 PS printing. Any ideas ?
  • »10.11.20 - 21:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    What is NETPRT0:? Is it renamed NETPAR: or renamed PRINTER: mountlist?
  • »10.11.20 - 23:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Trekman
    Quote:

zukow schrieb:
    What is NETPRT0:? Is it renamed NETPAR: or renamed PRINTER: mountlist?

Oh its just renamed NETPAR: ;-)
  • »11.11.20 - 07:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Trekman
    It seems that the ps code which does not work is created with cairo lib. All ps code which does work (e.g. with VPDF) is created with poppler lib ?!!?
  • »11.11.20 - 07:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Printing here on a HP PRO 252dw from IRIS (beta94), useing netprinter.device works as it should!

But I have the same strange behavior printing certain pdf-files from VPDF (APDF does it in most cases). Printer seems to start and then - nothing! I convert such files with a online-converter from pdf to pdf and after VPDF is able to print them.
    Printing via TP (PS:) runs always flawless....
  • »11.11.20 - 09:22
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Trekman
    Yes, this is exactly what I see.
    Converting through Ghostscript or something works.
    Printing through PS: device (TP) is working.

If we want PS printing to work the created ps code is quite important to be correct for printers.
  • »11.11.20 - 10:28
    Profile Visit Website