Iris - An upcoming E-Mail client blog
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    beworld
    Quote:

jacadcaps a écrit :
    Unfortunately support for Microsoft technologies is not planned. It is my understanding, however, that these days Microsoft provides IMAP support in Exchange servers so you should be able to use Iris via IMAP.

Indeed, thanks jacadcaps !
    IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »24.01.19 - 09:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Yes, well aware that the handling of connection issues is not ideal. It’ll improve in futue releases. Sending is done by contacting two servers (SMTP and IMAP) so if one connection gets stuck, the process will not complete.

I am currently busy with other stuff (but it’s stuff that will make me more efficient while programming Iris), but my current Iris build has OWBSlave integrated into main binary, and stable. 2 more weeks!

After giving this a lot of thought, I have decided to phase out POP3 support from Iris. This will happen in the next few versions. Due to time constraints, I’ll realistically be able to do either good POP3 support or things like calendar and contacts.

This is your chance to protest before the removal happens.

I vote for IMAP & good POP3, which IMO is the most necessary for a good e-mail client! Calendar and contacts are other programms, or add-ons to an e-mail client.

Regards

Christoph
  • »26.01.19 - 04:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

After giving this a lot of thought, I have decided to phase out POP3 support from Iris. This will happen in the next few versions. Due to time constraints, I’ll realistically be able to do either good POP3 support or things like calendar and contacts.

I would like to have an option to store and access old mails locally without network connection, also so that it wouldn't remove them if removed from the server (at least if server purges them for some reason without manual user deletion). If that can be done with IMAP, I'll be fine without POP3 too. Protocol per se isn't that important to me, but it's just been that traditionally POP3 has acted like that for sure.

I don't know if an email client should have a calendar, that can be done with separate programs. Or what kind of calendar that would be? Would it be able to sync with Google Calendar etc and that's why you'd like to implement it to an email client?

Contacts would of course be nice in an email client, but I think it could be very simplistic. Just store names and email addresses, and have easy access to them when writing new mails. Or are you planning to sync these with something external too?
  • »26.01.19 - 08:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    You can already enable an offline mode where emails are cached locally. The option to archive server-deleted emails isn’t ready yet though.

As for calendar, the idea is to have something that can sync with the server calendar, which is why it has to be integrated. Same for contacts.
  • »26.01.19 - 08:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    You can already enable an offline mode where emails are cached locally. The option to archive server-deleted emails isn’t ready yet though.

But if it's coming, I think I'll be fine without POP3. I don't think there are any POP3 only servers either, they all do support IMAP too.

Quote:

As for calendar, the idea is to have something that can sync with the server calendar, which is why it has to be integrated. Same for contacts.

Ok, sounds like a good plan. Supporting POP3 just complicates things... I think many people would appreciate these additions more after all.
  • »26.01.19 - 09:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    A new beta is currently in internal testing. Will hopefully be released over the weekend.
  • »08.02.19 - 10:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Good job JacAdCapS! :D
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »08.02.19 - 10:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Iris beta 46 is now available.

- Integrated WebKit - OWBSlave is no more
    - Fixed a folder syncing error after emptying a folder
  • »08.02.19 - 19:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Looks like there is an issue with Iris’s main thread running out of signals (breaks saving attachments, etc). Fix tonight.
  • »09.02.19 - 07:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Beta 47 is now available!
  • »09.02.19 - 14:29
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Thanks! Working fine since 10 min or so. ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »09.02.19 - 14:43
    tolkien
    Thanks so much Jacadpads!
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »09.02.19 - 17:30
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Hmm, under some circumstances Iris grows memory until there's none left and has 100% CPU usage in that process. Lets see if I find a file or some situation which realiably triggers this...
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »10.02.19 - 13:59
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    See if you can get a repro and check which task is causing the CPU usage with TaskManager. If you get this again, enable developer mode in TaskManager's tooltype, run TaskManager, find the offending Iris process and select Dump State from the context menu in TM. Send me the log - I should be able to pinpoint where it happens.
  • »10.02.19 - 16:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Irs beta 48 is now available

Changes:
    - Updated the underlying vmime library to its current latest and greatest state from github
    - Iris (and vmime) are now built using GCC 8
    - Fixed an input parsing bug that cound in some cases lead to an infinite loop when preparing a message to be displayed
    - Fixed an issue with HTML views not rendering anymore after closing a message window
    - Fixed: The message loader thread used in Load Message didn't have enough stack, leading to a disastrous end when opening emails from file that had a more complex structure (attachments)
  • »15.02.19 - 19:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Re-download Iris for beta 49:

- Minor speed optimizations when loading a folder index file from disk
    - Fixed html editor/viewer context menus
    - Fixed the iconify icon
    - Added a PayPal button
  • »17.02.19 - 07:32
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:
    - Iris (and vmime) are now built using GCC 8

Are there any ppc/ppc64 specific benefits or general benefits using GCC 8? I refrain from using it on Gentoo ppc64 as 8.2.0 does not pass it's own testsuite yet. 7.4.0 is my default here. Adelie Linux still uses 6.5.0 to build their distro.
  • »17.02.19 - 12:53
  • Just looking around
    nujack
    The latest versions I can't use anymore. After setup of my E-Mail-Account(Arcor, which is now Vodafone) the program freezes and I can't use it. Any idea what the problem causes? Could it be the size of my Mailbox which is filled with messages? Is there a Limit?
    Setup seems okay but when program starts to access mailbox it freezes.
    Screenshot

[ Edited by nujack 21.02.2019 - 18:23 ]
  • »21.02.19 - 17:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    It'd be a lot of help if you could run LogTool and send me the log (it's in Applications).
  • »21.02.19 - 17:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    A new beta of Iris is now available for download.

Features:
    - Improvements in the email editor; added default font (can be changed in settings)
    - Connected servers will periodically poll for new messages
    - Rewritten connection handling to improve performance and fix connection issues over time

This version also fixes:
    - Switching between several displayable email compontents only worked once per component due to a bug in tmp file lookup
    - Fixed an issue related to saving attachments from an email open in a separate window after the active folder has changed in the main window
    - Improved server disconnection handling
    - Fixed a crash in vmime related to IMAP folder access
    - Unread messages count could sometimes be negative due to an overflow
    - Fixed a long-standing reconnection problem where internal exception routing would skip over the actual reconnection routine
    - Fixed an OAuth2 issue which caused servers to reject authentication if they weren't used for a long time (days) so that the refresh token expired - this delegates login back to the web browser as required by OAuth2
    - Worked around an imap.wp.pl issue where the server returns messages in a random order instead of sorting them by uid
    - Fixed a Sent folder refresh issue after sending an email
    - Fixed a wrong UID count in folder issue causing server commands to fail after emptying a folder
  • »04.04.19 - 18:53
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    A new beta of Iris is now available for download.

Features:
    - Improvements in the email editor; added default font (can be changed in settings)
    - Connected servers will periodically poll for new messages
    - Rewritten connection handling to improve performance and fix connection issues over time

This version also fixes:
    - Switching between several displayable email compontents only worked once per component due to a bug in tmp file lookup
    - Fixed an issue related to saving attachments from an email open in a separate window after the active folder has changed in the main window
    - Improved server disconnection handling
    - Fixed a crash in vmime related to IMAP folder access
    - Unread messages count could sometimes be negative due to an overflow
    - Fixed a long-standing reconnection problem where internal exception routing would skip over the actual reconnection routine
    - Fixed an OAuth2 issue which caused servers to reject authentication if they weren't used for a long time (days) so that the refresh token expired - this delegates login back to the web browser as required by OAuth2
    - Worked around an imap.wp.pl issue where the server returns messages in a random order instead of sorting them by uid
    - Fixed a Sent folder refresh issue after sending an email
    - Fixed a wrong UID count in folder issue causing server commands to fail after emptying a folder

Thank you :-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »05.04.19 - 18:22
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    Another portion of fantastic stuff - thank you.
  • »06.04.19 - 16:33