• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    A note on Odyssey: after comparing where the leopard-webkit project left off to the current state of WebKit and several attempts at merging the BAL (the old remains of Orygin web browser) I have concluded that anything short of an actual new port doesn't make sense..........

The new port will focus on browsing first - that means that I want to have a port where the essentials are working (which means a bare browser with working JavaScript and a download manager in the 1st stages). Things like video playback will be at the end of the priority queue, since they're unlikely to work well due to our current CPU power deficit. I'll be working with a separation of the engine and browser in mind, to make it easy to put WebCore into other projects (like Iris).

This is good and bad news, I guess. Bad news that an actual new port is needed, instead of updating our existing version of Odyssey, and Good news that you are working on a new WebKit browser for MorphOS (if my interpretation of what you wrote above is incorrect, please correct me). I hope you have someone, or a group of developers, helping you on such a new port of the WebKit engine for MorphOS. If not, I suggest you ask for help, as it is no doubt a large project, though I know you are incredibly talented and fast at what you do. I would hate to see you burn yourself out, working alone on such big or difficult MorphOS tasks.

It just seems to me that large programming projects must be able to break down into smaller programming tasks, and that some of those tasks could be done by other capable programmers in our community, which would help speed up development time. Why are almost all development projects in our community done alone by one programmer?

Oh well, as I am not capable of helping to program anything at the moment, I'll just say thank you, and donate when I can. I hope you had a beer and some pizza on me from my last donation.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.07.19 - 11:41