Any VIM users out there?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Hi all!

Are there any VIM users around here that would be interested in a current version of VIM with a MUI GUI? If that's the case then you could try this out:

Spaden

Please keep in mind that this is still not done and that it might not work at all for you (it hasn't blown my machine up yet though). It needs more testing, that's why I'm writing this :-). The source code is also there if anyone would like to improve on it, or port it to AmigaOS or AROS (which should be trivial, I hope).
  • »09.02.17 - 21:32
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    How do you start it in gui mode? :)
  • »10.02.17 - 00:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Really nice, I will have a try and give you feedback.
    Vim is not emacs, but better than nothing ;)

[ Edited by eliot 10.02.2017 - 05:09 ]
    regards
    eliot
  • »10.02.17 - 06:03
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    How do you start it in gui mode? :)

:-)

Like this: "vim -g"

or use gvim (I think I included a script like that?)
  • »10.02.17 - 08:05
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

eliot wrote:
    Really nice, I will have a try and give you feedback.
    Vim is not emacs, but better than nothing ;)

Thanks!
  • »10.02.17 - 08:07
  • fx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    fx
    Awesome, I need to try this!

Any chance of a "normal" vim that can run directly in the shell aswell?
  • »10.02.17 - 11:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    After installation your can just start vim from shell
    regards
    eliot
  • »10.02.17 - 11:36
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

sTix wrote:

I've tried exactly that and still only got vim in a shell...
  • »10.02.17 - 13:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

sTix wrote:

I've tried exactly that and still only got vim in a shell...

Hmm, strange. What does Snoopy / The debug log say?
  • »10.02.17 - 14:19
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

eliot wrote:
    After installation your can just start vim from shell

Do you have MCC_TheBar installed by the way? It's required and VIM won't shout (except in the debug log) if it's missing as it is right now.
  • »10.02.17 - 14:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    OK, seems better with that mcc installed. There should be some better handling for the case it's missing because currently gives you a quite messed up shell mode (scrambled menus for instance).

There are also some easily spotted issues:

1) the installer spits an error if there's no work: partition around

2) I tried loading up a C file and moving the cursor over the text causes some graphics trash.
  • »10.02.17 - 14:47
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    OK, seems better with that mcc installed. There should be some better handling for the case it's missing because currently gives you a quite messed up shell mode (scrambled menus for instance).

2) I tried loading up a C file and moving the cursor over the text causes some graphics trash.

Thanks for your input!

I'll (try to) fix #1.

Re #2: What font are you using?
  • »10.02.17 - 17:51
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:

I think I see what you see now. A temporary workaround would be to use a bitmap font instead (now I assume that you're not, I might be wrong of course).

About the scrambled shell mode; Ctrl+L should "unscramble" things.
  • »10.02.17 - 22:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    so, where do I set the font?
  • »11.02.17 - 00:36
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    so, where do I set the font?

It's using the monospace font in the MUI settings. I just realize that there's no MUI settings entry in the menu and that not everyone will have the settings gadget in the window title bar. I obviously assume way to much :-)
  • »11.02.17 - 11:40
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    New version uploaded. User is now informed when MCC_TheBar is missing and the installer no longer assumes the presence of "Work:". And a newer version of VIM, but that hardly matters in this case.
  • »11.02.17 - 15:17
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    2017-02-12:
    - Graphical glitches when using non bitmap fonts fixed
    - Bold text support
    - Update to VIM 8.0.329
  • »12.02.17 - 21:01
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

sTix wrote:
    2017-02-12:
    - Bold text support
    - Update to VIM 8.0.329

Good progress. Another thing, you should not set the EDITOR env: variable without asking the user. Just because one wants to try out vim, it doesn't mean one wants to make it the default system editor.
  • »13.02.17 - 17:26
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    Quote:

sTix wrote:
    2017-02-12:
    - Bold text support
    - Update to VIM 8.0.329

Good progress. Another thing, you should not set the EDITOR env: variable without asking the user. Just because one wants to try out vim, it doesn't mean one wants to make it the default system editor.

True about the EDITOR, very web browser like behaviour. Got rid of it. Also made the MUI settings / about dialogs accessible from the menu.
  • »13.02.17 - 21:21
  • fx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    fx
    A few questions about running vim from the shell.

The biggest problem I have is that vim seems to default to a size of 80x25 (or something similiar) no matter how big my shell-window is. Is there any way around this?

My second problem is that the arrow-keys doesn't work from a normal shell (they do work if I run it from within ksh though), I can use 'hjkl' to move the cursor but then I need to jump in/out of insert-mode all the time, and I'm used to just being able to move the cursor while in insert-mode with the arrow-keys. Is there anything I can do to get them working from the normal shell?
  • »15.02.17 - 10:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

fx wrote:
    A few questions about running vim from the shell.

The biggest problem I have is that vim seems to default to a size of 80x25 (or something similiar) no matter how big my shell-window is. Is there any way around this?

My second problem is that the arrow-keys doesn't work from a normal shell (they do work if I run it from within ksh though), I can use 'hjkl' to move the cursor but then I need to jump in/out of insert-mode all the time, and I'm used to just being able to move the cursor while in insert-mode with the arrow-keys. Is there anything I can do to get them working from the normal shell?

I don't know the answer to any of the above I'm afraid. The reason I did spend time doing the MUI GUI was that the console version was very far from what you expect from VIM on other platforms. Maybe I'll spend some time later on to see if I can improve the console version. Or maybe someone else (you?) can have a look, it looks as if the Amiga parts in VIM could use some love (it's probably been a while).
  • »15.02.17 - 19:14
  • fx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    fx
    I'm afraid I can't help much by actually doing any coding, since I don't know C. But I would be happy to help out in any way I can (testing and tweaking configurations) if someone wanted to try and "fix" vim to work in a normal shell. The gui-version works great but I just prefer to do my text-editing directly in the terminal I'm using, it's what I'm used to on other platforms!

But for now I have set the env-variable TERM to gui so it always opens the gui-variant.

I did try a few things like setting t_ku=^[0A (and \233A) and similiar tricks I found on the web but none of those made any difference from my testing, but I will continue to try and figure out a way to get the arrows working. The "size" of the window will probably need some updates in the code though, according to the docs it has worked on Amiga in the past (not so surprising since vim originated on the Amiga after all).

[ Edited by fx 15.02.2017 - 21:32 ]
  • »15.02.17 - 21:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

fx wrote:
    I'm afraid I can't help much by actually doing any coding, since I don't know C. But I would be happy to help out in any way I can (testing and tweaking configurations) if someone wanted to try and "fix" vim to work in a normal shell. The gui-version works great but I just prefer to do my text-editing directly in the terminal I'm using, it's what I'm used to on other platforms!

But for now I have set the env-variable TERM to gui so it always opens the gui-variant.

I did try a few things like setting t_ku=^[0A (and \233A) and similiar tricks I found on the web but none of those made any difference from my testing, but I will continue to try and figure out a way to get the arrows working. The "size" of the window will probably need some updates in the code though, according to the docs it has worked on Amiga in the past (not so surprising since vim originated on the Amiga after all).

I understand the terminal part (I've never really used gvim before), and I agree, we should really have a fully working VIIM in a shell someday. About the help part; using, tweaking and giving feedback is very valuable.

BTW:

2017-02-15:
    - Plugin autoloading now works
    - Reconfigured to make the MatchParen (and probably others) plugin work
  • »15.02.17 - 21:56
  • fx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    fx
    I did checkout your repository and played around a bit with compiling vim with different options, had some trouble getting your MUI-GUI-code to compile (complained about _ParseIFF_v1 or something which I couldn't find any reference to anywhere :/) so I simply compiled it without GUI for now. Well to the point, I actually managed to get the arrowkeys-working in a normal shell, thing is - I'm not exactly sure what I've done :)

Gonna make some more tests and report back here with my findings.

It still can't detect the size of the window though
  • »16.02.17 - 12:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

fx wrote:
    I did checkout your repository and played around a bit with compiling vim with different options, had some trouble getting your MUI-GUI-code to compile (complained about _ParseIFF_v1 or something which I couldn't find any reference to anywhere :/) so I simply compiled it without GUI for now. Well to the point, I actually managed to get the arrowkeys-working in a normal shell, thing is - I'm not exactly sure what I've done :)

Gonna make some more tests and report back here with my findings.

It still can't detect the size of the window though

Sounds excellent! Let me know if you find anything interesting.
  • »16.02.17 - 18:14