OWB Memory Usage
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    THanks. I will watch the largest free block with this tool and report what it says. How much memory does it need for an empty tab? It is really a shame that for a simple empty page it can eat up megabytes of RAM just for showing nothing. This Cairo stuff is not good in my opinion. It seems to be so wasteful with resources. So all in all it means: there is no way out until we have a MOS with virtual memory and all that stuff.
  • »06.11.14 - 18:59
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    THanks. I will watch the largest free block with this tool and report what it says. How much memory does it need for an empty tab? It is really a shame that for a simple empty page it can eat up megabytes of RAM just for showing nothing. This Cairo stuff is not good in my opinion. It seems to be so wasteful with resources. So all in all it means: there is no way out until we have a MOS with virtual memory and all that stuff.

The cairo memory usage for a blank page is mostly defined by the webview area size, i.e widthxheightx4 bytes.
    Anyway, using cairo is not the problem here. The real issue is the way JavaScriptCore reserves memory, as mentioned in earlier posts, which is equivalent to huge memory leaks to us, and there's not much i can do about it. I tried several approaches, without success (like clearing/freeing everything/reinstanciating a VM instance and so on). The only solution in our context (shared memory space) would be to have each view in its own process, since the JS virtual machine could be freed when the view is disposed. Unfortunately it's really quite some work.
    In practice it means porting WebKit 2 and reworking many parts in Odyssey's internals.
  • »06.11.14 - 21:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    I think going to WebKit2 would be good because then it should be easier to fulfill the requested memory sizes. So it should run better on our system. So we had a better control over the memory usage. But I can guess that it will be a lot of work and very boring for you because there is "not so much more" usage of it.
  • »07.11.14 - 16:34