Other proposals?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Yasu,
    Quote:

For me is being able to change sizes, cut and crop and make the pictures more clear or crisp. Effects are welcomed, but I really don't use them that much.

Showgirls does that, too. My workflow usually is a combination of Showgirls for cutting, resizing, applying golbal effects (contrast/gamma being the most important here) and tvpaint (if pic resolution isn't too huge) for most other things I do. There's also Photogenics which does quite something (never digged deep into that program though), ArtEffect (don't have it and never used it myself) and FxPaint. These three aren't offering the massive power of Photoshop, but quite something. And there are plenty more programs out there. Pesonally I don't like Adobe software too much (use Illustrator and Indesign a lof though) and am happy to use MorphOS for pixel based work. Maybe one day I'll be able to drop Illustrator for Steamdraw, but not yet.

I would love if Showgirls had an easy option to apply an effect only to a marked area (best: optionally selectable sharp or gradient borders). That would be cool!
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »10.05.13 - 14:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

I would love if Showgirls had an easy option to apply an effect only to a marked area (best: optionally selectable sharp or gradient borders). That would be cool!

Intelligent select would be good too, it impressed me on the few occasions I used Gimp.

Showgirls is amazingly quick and responsive though, the display when cropping is a particularly good feature imho.

My one minor niggle is the default setup seems to have the 'fullscreen' mode set as a tooltype, which isn't overridden when disabling the 'fullscreen' mode in the view menu (and then snapshotting in place using MUI settings window gadget). Consequently the only way to get it to open up in windowed mode seems to be the old-fashioned way of manually changing the icon tooltype.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »10.05.13 - 19:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    This freeware program is not open source, but something like this would be awesome!

It's a really good picture viewer (with capability of simple manipulation):

http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/

I don't know, maybe if we ask nicely we can get the source code for porting? Just a thought :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.05.13 - 11:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Yasu,
    Quote:

This freeware program is not open source, but something like this would be awesome!

It's a really good picture viewer (with capability of simple manipulation):

http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/

Closed source Windows software is rarely written portability in mind but probably use native APIs extensively everywhere. Which mean you can not port it without rewrite or writing complete API wrappers.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »15.05.13 - 12:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Does xnview offer anything subtancially better than Showgirls? My quick look on the webpage doesn't reveal any hot feature that Showgirls doesn't offer (but it ws only a quick look).
    Showgirls is powerful, fast and native. IMHO it's better to improve that program than to do a port of another program.

Generally I think ports are good to fill gaps, but native/original programs are required to gain an original profile.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.05.13 - 12:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Hmm ... I will take a closer look at Showgirls. Maybe I was too quick and dismissive there.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »15.05.13 - 13:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bash64
    Showgirls is da bomb.
    :-o

I used to use PPT heavily for all graphic processing.
    However, it is 68k and I had a few issues with it on Morph.
    Not nearly as fast as showgirls.

[ Edited by bash64 15.05.2013 - 12:33 ]
    Mac G5 ISight 21" 2.5 gb of ram 233gb hd matshita dvd-r uj-846
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »15.05.13 - 16:31
    Profile Visit Website