Most wanted functions for next MorphOS release
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    MikeB
    Just do a search for MacOS in google. The reason why people often specify MacOS X, is the same reason why people distinguish between AmigaOS 3.x and AmigaOS 4 or between Windows 3.x and Windows XP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS

Cliick on the icon stating MacOS:
    http://www.apple.com/support/
  • »01.11.06 - 12:33
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @MikeB

I surely didn't bring up branding, and Apple surely didn't base OSX on MacOS9....

They might have used some parts of MacOS9 for the sandbox inside OSX, but you would be hard-pressed finding anything of that inside OSX itself.

Does a name matter ?
    It surely does for you (thats why I suggested getting a Party-pack), but it surely doesn't matter for us (or the topic at hand). I care about a system being useable, fast, easy, stable etc, not about what flag it's flying.

"The name" has managed to assign a negative value to itself thanks to the Bill&Barry-show, and the further WE set us apart from those and the fanboys that blindly follow them, the better.
  • »01.11.06 - 13:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

liquidbit wrote:
    uhmm ...

1. Altivec support.
    2. SMP support.
    3. Memmory Protection support.
    4. Multi-User support.
    5. Faster/more secure File System support.

6) Enhance AHI which is now currently AFAIK supporting only stereo sound to a full Dolby Surround 3.1, 5.1, 7.1, and other ubiquitous versions of surround...

(maybe as stated by other people, support Paula emulation)

7) Introduce Firewire support

8) Introduce more robust USB detect at level of Firmware which now enters in conflict with Poseidon 3.2 and 3.3.

9) Enhance compatibility with OS4 and so improve better OS4Emu in order to let people fell free to migrate from OS4 to MorphOS
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »01.11.06 - 13:15
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Except 1, 5 and 6, all the other items are either unrealistic (2, 3, 4) or unrelated to what the OS should provide (9).

Full Firewire stack is also unrealistic. Maybe some minimal (and thus quite useless) stack could be done. But what's the point anyway (except for mass storage) of such a stack when there's no software that can take advantage of it (video editing software) ?

About 8, this is OpenFirmware's responsability, not MorphOS, so beg bplan to release a proper firmware.
  • »01.11.06 - 13:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Full Firewire stack is also unrealistic. Maybe some minimal (and thus quite useless) stack could be done. But what's the point anyway (except for mass storage) of such a stack when there's no software that can take advantage of it (video editing software)

At very first time we could download DV files and find some software to see it (mplayer?)

At second WITHOUT *ANY* kind of support to Firewire, no software firm will start programming useful editing video software...

At third, if Firewire will be full functional, we could start using MorphOS Titler as external titler for other computers already equipped with Video Editing software.

If we don't start support such an hardware, then we couldn't claim for proper software to run in MorphOS.
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »01.11.06 - 14:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Check the firewire thread, it now looks like there will be a bounty for a stack and DV-support for firewire, done by Sonic. So maybe it's not unrealistic after all.. :-)

I'm also not sure if Multiuser is actually unrealistic.. depending on what you mean. Of course you can't have multiple users logged in at once, but it should be reasonably simple to make a script that assigns the envarc: directory differently depending on which user is specified. Of course a lot of apps save their stuff in different places, but at least it is a start.
  • »01.11.06 - 15:03
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    MikeB
    @ Kronos

Quote:

I surely didn't bring up branding, and Apple surely didn't base OSX on MacOS9....

You did. (Amiga vs Amiga-like)

Quote:

They might have used some parts of MacOS9 for the sandbox inside OSX, but you would be hard-pressed finding anything of that inside OSX itself.

Kronos look MacOS X is largely founded on top of Darwin because the old foundation was severely lacking many core features.

But MacOS X is also modeled after MacOS 9. You can even compare large parts of OSes with 'normal' application development. Like Adpbe will base a port of Photoshop on the source code they have of earlier Photoshop releases nomatter if you believe they should work from scratch or not, nomatter what kind of kernel be running underneath the enduser product, be this even Windows or MacOS.

[ Edited by MikeB on 2006/11/1 18:59 ]
  • »01.11.06 - 17:58
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @MikeB

Yeah reading most be hard for you .....

Talking bout "Amiga-API versus an Amigalike API" is something completly different than talking bout "Amiga" vs "Amiga-like". Or could it be you just wanted to misunderstand ??

OSX may LOOK like MacOS9, but that doesn't make it being based on it anymore than Amiga-WM for XWindows being actually based on Intuition....

Now offcourse they try to keep API as close to MacOS9 as possible, but they surely made no compromises when it came it non-MP parts of the API being thrown out. That why Adobe and others had to do a major rework for an OSX-version, and that why Apple kept the legacy-API-box available for years (/me wonders if one could start MacOS9 app on an IntelMac).

But as allways you insist throwing apps, APIs, looks, kernels and trademarks in one pot, not understanding these are distinctly different aspects of every computer-system.
  • »01.11.06 - 18:13
  • Targhan
    /me breaks out the official MikeB vs. Kronos popcorn, all users are requested to report to their nearest concession stand! :lol:
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »01.11.06 - 18:30
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Ahh !!! So thats all what was needed to drag you out of the shadows.

If I had known earlier ;-)

[ Edited by Kronos on 2006/11/1 19:45 ]
  • »01.11.06 - 18:45
  • Targhan
    actually, I've been alive for a little while now. It's just that I'm so lagged with updates and site upkeeping that I've hardly had time to post or read things... like my PM's (grrr)..

@topic: for the next MorphOS relase, I would like to see an uber wad of cash find it's way into Ralph's hands such that he can purchase the entire OS4 development staff as slave labor to create AmiMorph4.5 !! Well, as long as we're being unrealistic, all OS's save for MorphOS and AmigaOS to become non-existant, this way we can force everyone to pay attention to OUR red-blue war!!! hehehehehee :lol:
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »01.11.06 - 19:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    AMiGR
    Quote:

Now offcourse they try to keep API as close to MacOS9 as possible, but they surely made no compromises when it came it non-MP parts of the API being thrown out. That why Adobe and others had to do a major rework for an OSX-version, and that why Apple kept the legacy-API-box available for years (/me wonders if one could start MacOS9 app on an IntelMac).

In fact, Cocoa, which is the "new" API has absolutely nothing to do with MacOS and even has the NS_ (NextStep) prefixes on most function of the API.

The whole OS has *far* more to do with NextStep than with MacOS. Watch any old NextStep video presentation and you'll go "hang on a minute!". Even the Interface Builder looks "familiar".
    Alkis Tsapanidis
  • »02.11.06 - 00:00
    Profile Visit Website