@Platon42

If donations or bounties speed up your development-cylces
    let me know ;-)

I think there are more users around with bluetooth pdas or cellphones
    than users in need for fw :-)

In numbers I'd guess we've 1000 - 1500 active morphos user
    and I'd guess 50% could make use of bluetooth and only 10%
    are in need for drives/cams etc ...

But thats just my opinion and selfmade statistics :-)

PS: Sure it would be nice to see firewire support but
    if that would mean half speed in ambient development or
    other parts of morphos it's not worth it.

PPS: Damn ... so I'm a typical morphos user ;-)
  • »30.06.06 - 13:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    memering
    Hey, last note on Firewire,
    It just a stadard out there. If you want to create video like IMovie of the Flyer then you need a way to pull a video into MorphOS and push it if you like. Its a Video Industry standard. And you are correct it will take some time and a few coders. It is worth it.
    Video is a big part of multimedia. Multimedia is what the Amiga is all about and what I would like to see in MorphOS.

Updates to MorphOS?
    - I would like to see it running on the Peg3 using dule G5!
    - I would like to see it running in my Ford Explorer
    and on my cell phone and in my cable box!
    - It need to be used. If Genesi and the Morph-team and BPlan and all of us would thoughout our mac, linux, widows etc. and try to only use MorphOS (Some of us do) ,things my be fix alot faster.
    - BUT, I would like to thank all the work that has be done so far THANK MorphTeam!

Just a thought

Bob
    God Bless

Bob
  • »30.06.06 - 14:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    You want FireWire? Use Linux.
    You want Gbit Ethernet? Use Linux.
    You want modern software? Use Linux.

Its so easy!

:-D
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »30.06.06 - 20:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    You want to be bored to death every day ? Use Linux.
  • »30.06.06 - 20:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

*sigh*

or join the great Order of the 2 More Weeks Knights. You can also consider getting a free membership for the When It's Done Bored Monks Temple.
  • »30.06.06 - 23:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    That or the "it's slow and broken but it's free!!!1" club.
    Easy choice :-)
  • »01.07.06 - 00:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    @soundsquare

lol

@henes

or you can join the "Hey I run Morphos CVS version so what do I care what anyone else thinks" club

;-)

magnetic

ps For the love of God can we get some sort of statement from the "mos team" about the next major release? Also what ever happened to the website??

:-? :-? :-? :-?
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »01.07.06 - 03:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Ex-Member
    @Henes

> That or the "it's slow and broken but it's free!!!1" club.

Well, Linux is free if your time is worthless.

Whenever I try to boot Linux on my work's laptop and for no apparent reason the whole PCI bus is gone (no USB, no Ethernet etc), this is a real annoyance. Or when you find out that the one distribution stores the configuration files in the one place, the other one somewhere else, and the third one uses a completely different mechanism that is completely obfuscated.

Or when you call "man wget" to look up the proxy settings and exactly that line about the proxy stuff is mysteriously truncated.

Or when you try to compile some source package. You'll need half a dozen different compiler version combinates with different binutils, different glibcs just to find out which one compiles which version of the source... and in the end get a linker error because some library is missing.

I could go on and on... Windows might be sub-standard quality and slow and insecure and whatever, but Linux is really just a mess and a pile of junk. Open Source is not the soure for elegant designs and code quality.
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »01.07.06 - 07:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Open Source is not the soure for elegant designs and code quality.

neither closed/proprietary stuff.
    At least with open sourcing you have a chance that someone could correct your mistakes one day.
  • »01.07.06 - 09:55
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

Windows might be sub-standard quality and slow and insecure and whatever, but Linux is really just a mess and a pile of junk. Open Source is not the soure for elegant designs and code quality.

I agree. But it may be a pile of junk, it just works, better than any Amiga-like OS out there. The same thing goes for the stability: it's stable, much more than any Amiga-like OS.

I wish I could stop saying that some day. But it seems main developers of these Amiga-like OS are fine with these facts. So it's unikely this will change.

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2006/7/1 10:43 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »01.07.06 - 12:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Ex-Member
    @SoundSquare:

> neither closed/proprietary stuff.

No, of course not.

> At least with open sourcing you have a chance that someone could correct your mistakes one day.

IMHO this is wishful thinking. Prototypes go into public release and bad designs and hobby programmer code prevails.

Either this, or you get dozens of different APIs, not compatible, each one with a different flaw. Or like we have on X11, multiple user toolkits, none of them reactive or user friendly, each one behaving differently. Applications following no style guide. But this is the same with Windows too...
    Bye...
    Chris Hodges
  • »01.07.06 - 13:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    The order of usefulness for me is definitely:
    1. USB2
    2. Bluetooth
    7. Firewire
    8. Gigabit ethernet
  • »01.07.06 - 18:14
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    beanbandit
    for me it would be
    1) Altivec
    2) USB2
    3) Firewire
    4) Gigabit
    2001) Die
    2002) Bluetooth
  • »01.07.06 - 23:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    @beanbandit

Realisticly for what might actually happen you better swap Firewire and Bluetooth (though the popular opinion is that Die would be first on the list). :P

- CISC
  • »02.07.06 - 05:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Personally, I don't see much use for Firewire. It's obvious that it would never be able to "support everything". Realistically it might be able to support at least Firewire hard disks, but what's exactly wrong with IDE ones? :-)

Sure it would be "nice-to-have in case it would be needed some day", but then again, there are so many MUCH more important things to do...

I consider even Bluetooth support more important (less unimportant?)
  • »02.07.06 - 09:27
    Profile Visit Website
    DJBase
    Quote:

Personally, I don't see much use for Firewire. It's obvious that it would never be able to "support everything". Realistically it might be able to support at least Firewire hard disks, but what's exactly wrong with IDE ones?

Oh, how can I connect external drives or devices to the IDE Port? I should use the Onboard USB Port? Ever did a backup over this ultra-fast Port? Ever burned a DVD over USB 1.1? I should use a SCSI card? Hell, no one is using SCSI anymore these days.

Bluetooth is more important? For what?
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »02.07.06 - 12:17
    Profile Visit Website
    DJBase
    Quote:

I think I would be more bored with MorphOS because I can't use this or that and have to boot into Linux. Or because it crashes every five minutes.

No one cares if it is well designed or has a userfriendly API. It has the software users need. Software makes the success.
  • »02.07.06 - 12:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    DJBase,

you're of course free to think this way, but then we can wonder why you were using amigaos/morphos in the last twelve years.

Besides, you seem to whine about the OS itself, but even if the OS provided all you could whine about, it wouldn't change the fact there are not many applications, thus making it boring for you. And as you surely know, it isn't up to the os makers to develop *all* the applications users might need. So maybe you could rather rant about the lack of developers instead, it would be at least more fair.

And about "linux stability", it sounds like a myth these days. Sure the OS may be robust, but there's no point if every single app segfaults like mad for any reason just because it's badly coded.
  • »02.07.06 - 13:22
    Profile Visit Website
    DJBase
    Quote:

you're of course free to think this way, but then we can wonder why you were using amigaos/morphos in the last twelve years.

Because I know how it works and I like it but it is getting harder and harder to use it in a modern world each day.

Quote:

Besides, you seem to whine about the OS itself, but even if the OS provided all you could whine about, it wouldn't change the fact there are not many applications, thus making it boring for you. And as you surely know, it isn't up to the os makers to develop *all* the applications users might need. So maybe you could rather rant about the lack of developers instead, it would be at least more fair.

I didn't say its all up to the os makers (they do the OS, nothing more normally) but if the OS lacks too many things it will be hard to get developers and even user. I think I don't have to repeat everything, we all now the rest. And of course, users have always something to whine, isn't that normal? If its not me than its someone else.

Quote:

And about "linux stability", it sounds like a myth these days. Sure the OS may be robust, but there's no point if every single app segfaults like mad for any reason just because it's badly coded.

But you can kill faulty apps without rebooting the system.

I don't wanted to start the old story again. So enjoy the nice weather with barbecue and beer.
  • »02.07.06 - 14:15
    Profile Visit Website
    DJBase
    Quote:

For the love of God can we get some sort of statement from the "mos team" about the next major release?

"When it's done."
  • »02.07.06 - 14:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Robin wrote:
    @Platon42

If donations or bounties speed up your development-cylces
    let me know ;-)

I think there are more users around with bluetooth pdas or cellphones
    than users in need for fw :-)

In numbers I'd guess we've 1000 - 1500 active morphos user
    and I'd guess 50% could make use of bluetooth and only 10%
    are in need for drives/cams etc ...

But thats just my opinion and selfmade statistics :-)

And almost 50 or 100 Amiga amateur videomakers who still have Amigas and want to upgrade to better new Amiga-like system will choose (or have already choosen) Macintosh due to the lack of video support in MorphOS.

This is why Amiga and MorphOS are falling down and userbase shrinking.

We are strict tied to existing userbase and do not want to expand it supporting well new hardware and software features.

And Firewire still waits as an useless feature when using MOS.

It is like having aircraft carriers seat in port, in Pearl Harbour, waiting for japanese to strike.

And I remember you all that firewire it is such a good feature already mounted on the main hardware from its beginning.

(It is not added by cards by wannabe people or third party hardware makers who had mounted a new firewire expansion pci-card and then asking morphOS team to support it and without having driver for it)

What a pity we could make nor any productivity use neither any hobby use of this de-facto standard link-port for video productions.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2006/7/2 15:23 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »02.07.06 - 15:14
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    beanbandit
    @CISC

Well when one see's the progress you make in developing
    MOS I suspect It WILL be the first thing to happen.
  • »02.07.06 - 15:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Oh, how can I connect external drives or devices to the IDE Port?

Depends on the case. Sometimes you can just remove a normal IDE drive from the external case. But then again, I'd rather just buy one without the case, they're cheper that way :-)

But the real point is, I don't really understand the need for external storage devices. Sure they can be "OK" on laptops, but only becouse there's no way you could fit the stuff inside the computer case. Usually, this isn't the case with Pegasos systems.

For transporting stuff, I find USB memory (for small stuff) and CD/DVD-RW (for big stuff) better & cheaper choice. And if I need more, I just disconnect the internal HD.

Of course you can connect only 4 IDE devices to the Pegasos board, but that's enough for most. And if it isn't, at least I would rather plug in an extra PCI IDE or SCSI card.

And yes, I know that MorphOS probably doesn't support many (any?) PCI IDE cards. And that's one of those "more useful than VERY partial Firewire support" things

Quote:

Ever did a backup over this ultra-fast Port? Ever burned a DVD over USB 1.1?

Why should I? I'm perfectly happy with a writer connected to the internal IDE port.

Quote:

Bluetooth is more important? For what?

I didn't mean it would be important, just the EVEN it would be "less unimportant than Firewire" :-)
  • »02.07.06 - 15:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Certainly Firewire would be more interesting if there was some
    (realistic hope for) good video editing software for MorphOS. Is
    there? I doubt that.

Now I don't know much about video, but it seems to me most cameras
    these days support USB2 as well. So you can hardly blame the lack of
    video software on the lack of firewire drivers.
  • »02.07.06 - 17:12