Shutdown command, please
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

@Leo
    Ok, one simple question then: at least 2 or 3 different users (*excluding* myself) on this thread made some jokes about MOS 1.5 release, wondering what was blocking MOS release,... Someone else created a thread entitled: "is this time for a MorphOS update ?". This kind of threads are regularly created (and *not by me*).
    Why ? Just to annoy you ? Just because they like stupid jokes ? Well, I don't think so. And that's what meant by "ignoring" the users: according to me this clearly shows some comunication is needed.

Well, I did communicate didn't I? I think the problem is rather that some users (you included) choose to ignore us .. I can perfectly understand new users (like in that thread) asking questions like this, however when it's oldtime users like yourself you start asking questions back.

Quote:

And I think the very few minutes you would spend doing it would bring *a lot* here.

I believe I already did that in that very thread.

Quote:

@SoundSquare
    I don't really get your point with flaming Leo here. I think he's quite right. There's a serious gap between MorphOS coders and users about communication.

Well, I would suggest that that gap is perhaps not as huge as you may think.

Quote:

Leo is the one that tries to understand why users don't get any status report. And a lot of MorphOS users i know don't even dare to speak about that, just because they easily get a nasty reputation in the community for complaining or blah blah blah (i know the score).

I agree that Leo might contribute to scare users into not daring to ask questions because of the kind of replies he gets these days (by me included), however there should not be any reason to unless you become the same broken record he has become...

Quote:

Maybe you should just change your perspective a bit and understand that we, simple users, are not complaining but hungry for news and status reports (don't you understand/share this passion ?)

Ofcourse I do .. ask me a reasonable question and you will most likely receive a reasonable answer .. ask me an unreasonable question; well, try not to get offended by the unreasonable answer.

Quote:

When the users will stop asking for it it will probably means that they don't care anymore. So at the end it's pretty positive huh ?

Actually, it wouldn't be so bad if people didn't care about when or why not, but rather if, and as long as the answer is yes would be content with that and trust our judgement on when and why not. I would much rather have tons of suggestions about new features, or more bugreports than I can ever hope to handle (but hey kids, remember to give detailed descriptions about the problem and how to reproduce, "this doesn't werk, f00l" is no fun to figure out).

Quote:

now sorry for wasting your time again. (all this time we wasted talking about that when it could have been used for status reports :-) )

Hardly, I'm too lazy to write those anyway.

- CISC
  • »06.07.06 - 19:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    @Cisc
    I dont't want status report in text files but you could give us screenshots with new features 8-)
  • »06.07.06 - 20:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

I dont't want status report in text files but you could give us screenshots with new features 8-)

Sure thing, here's one I was reminded of by grxmrx a few days ago (and if you look closer (don't look too close though, this screenshot is fairly outdated already. :P ) you'll see a whole lot more)...

- CISC

Attached file(s) 
  • »06.07.06 - 21:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I dont intend to be harsh, a jerk, not greatfull or any other word any of you want to put in here after I say this so here it goes:

You paid for a system with MOS1.4.x on it and thats what you got. You dont pay for any new releases, you dont pay for 99.99% of any software released for MorphOS and you dont fund any of the development of any future releases if they even exist. Quit it with the cry baby atitudes of wanting a new release. The simple fact is the MOS team have decided the rest of the users dont need what they have, they havent been treated very well by the groups that promised them finantial support for what beyond 1.4.x has given us and you shouldnt expect them to offer it up. If one member decided he does not want it released then thats the way it is. You can do nothing about it, and you have to respect it. Just be glad you have what you have now at all. I feel the development team just doesnt care about the normal users any longer. Why should they? Whats in it for them? All most people do is cry and ask for more more more all the time. Just be like me anduse what you have. If something new comes we can all be shocked and declaire a world holiday and call it morphday or something.

And you know what, I am sick of the screen shots from the elite. Its childish and makes you look like the kid with the candy that none of the other kids at the park have, and teasing them as they eat it, telling the others how good it is!

[ Edited by Acill on 2006/7/6 15:26 ]

[ Edited by Acill on 2006/7/6 15:27 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »07.07.06 - 00:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 30.08.2011 - 18:43 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »07.07.06 - 01:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »07.07.06 - 01:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    Just dont use TwinMOS ;D

Blomstermini.png

20C in the night is a lot for someone used to 0C for 4-5 months ;P Well, I think morphos team is good hearted people :) One is Quakefan, other loves pizza with banana and curry, third playing xbox360 etc.. but all in all.. MorphOS is like flowers ;) At time they popup if they get the support.

Support the 3D team on www.morphos-team.net - Support morphos by telling that this is trully an genious AmigaOS compatible OS. I really use MorphOS for my website, www.amitopia.net and www.radionitro.net

I must say I have asked too many questions,.. and in the end it feels a bit Guru Meditation .. ;D

So,... be nice to each others and I think that when MorphOS 1.5 is ready it will be ready.. and then people will talk about MorphOS 1.666 for 2 years? or how about MorphOS 2.0... Well I am happy with MorphOS and wish it all the best... the coders, theme workers, design of morphos webpage etc have done a really great job even without Zapek etc.

What if MorphOS just become MorphOS. Why do MorphOS be updated in versions? Why cant the updates just be 2006 update 1 .. 2006 update 2 etc.. Just an idea :)

Well, in the end.. MorphOS is really great! Keep up the good work!

Regards,
    Michal, www.amitopia.net & www.radionitro.net
  • »07.07.06 - 01:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

And you know what, I am sick of the screen shots from the elite. Its childish and makes you look like the kid with the candy that none of the other kids at the park have, and teasing them as they eat it, telling the others how good it is!

Well, I was asked to do it .. should I abstain incase I offend someone?

- CISC
  • »07.07.06 - 01:57
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @acill

Why do you always write this ? :-(
    Some important parts are not finished and, as everybody expect them to be part of a new major release, there can't be any release until they are done.
    Please quit with this "they do not want other people use it!" disinformation...
  • »07.07.06 - 01:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Henes wrote:
    @acill

Why do you always write this ? :-(
    Some important parts are not finished and, as everybody expect them to be part of a new major release, there can't be any release until they are done.
    Please quit with this "they do not want other people use it!" disinformation...

Well I feel how I feel and thats that, I never said I was not happy and I told people to quit the cry baby act. I am just sick of hearing about it and then hearing from all the leechers that just want and dont offer anything in return.

Tell me this, how many payment donationd did you all get for the Pup edition? I'm sure that proves my point.

Now that this thread is totaly off topic, lets get back on it...
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »07.07.06 - 02:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Acill
    Well its good the thread is OT as the topic was dead as there will be no shutdown command on 1.4 as explained previous :-)

The fact that the mos team is posting info on this site on this thread is good and a _GASP_ SCREENSHOT from a mos dev is a rather huge anomaly and is nice to see....

Henes is being very forthcoming to,and I appreciate this. Basically he is saying that some key components are not finished and prolly bugged so no release... don't forget one of the main devs is playing with penguins atm...

BTW is Frank M and Emmanuel L still actively devloping? What about MUI and Stuntzi?

@mosteam - the thing is guys everyone is in the dark, just a little info goes a long way ;-)

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »07.07.06 - 05:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Hey Acill, calm down a bit :)

Please read Chain-Q s Posting again, actually it says all,
    very simple 1.5 is not yet ready, but progressing. Important
    is the comparison with Mui and Ambient: Both are progressing too,
    they are allready usable, but by no way ready. And if 1.5 is in the
    same state (which i don t doubt) it is simply not in a state to release
    it now. It would simply have to much quirks here and there, just like Mui
    and Ambient have. And this won t make a nice picture for the 1.5 release.

So please don t make conclusions about how they don t want to release anything
    when actually they can t :) And personally I *love* teasers, although they might
    make me jealous and drooling ;)

That said I also have to agree that some publicity won t hurt.Cisc, you said
    you are to lazy to write a progress report :) Fine, but I guess this isn t even
    neccessary, right? I mean, why not hire some webslaves (I am sure there should be
    someone who would like to make that job, there is someone doing it allready anyway, right?)
    feed them with some short news about current states, perhaps some screenshots and let them write
    a report then? Oh btw I also loved the wall of horr... err fame with those *nice* pictures of the
    MOS devs, just the get an Idea who is actually involved and so on. Why not do this again?

I guess this would pretty soon shut up some of those "Mos is dead" sayers and more important,
    would give some informations about the progress. (Well at least more then a "two more weeks picture" ;)
    You have no idea what that caused on the german pegasos forum because several people did t understand
    that joke *hehe*)
    Ok, I hope that was constructive enough and didn t sound like whining ;)
  • »07.07.06 - 09:02
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @CISC: Ok. I'll have tried... whatever I say, it is being turned into something negative,... And while I don't think I'm scaring anyone, you're doing a great job at making people become scared of asking for information (wow: I'm evil... MOS-Team is good). Every user that tried to make you communicate was given the same treatment. Fine :)

Btw, here is a recent post of Velcro, asking for more communication again. He isn't a new user so I'm wondering why he feels the need to ask this... Feel free to ignore him, or make him become an 'evil whinner'...

Quote:

However it would be nice to get another MorphOS update for Pegasos since it has been a year. It would also be good to hear from the MorphOS team how it is coming along, if the time is not right for a release.

So, MorphOS team, how about a news update if you are not ready to release a MorphOS update?

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2006/7/7 9:11 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »07.07.06 - 09:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:

Sure, but this was clear from the beginnng. Never read the small print when Laire got you to MOS? I am sure somewhere there it is noted that all MOS-teamers are dämned anyway.
    Live with it and enjoy!

Ah - and don't forget to put 1.5 on the ftp when its ready :-o
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »07.07.06 - 10:15
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    Quote:

Bladerunner wrote:
    So please don t make conclusions about how they don t want to release anything when actually they can t :) And personally I *love* teasers, although they might make me jealous and drooling ;)

I agree. Thumbs up from me for CISC. Why showing a preview should be seen as teasing? Then 99% of software developers do tease because most software is shown before its public release...
    Quote:

Oh btw I also loved the wall of horr... err fame with those *nice* pictures of the MOS devs, just the get an Idea who is actually involved and so on. Why not do this again?

Yes, that one was simple yet effective. And funny too (even though there are still people who believe laire really looks like that! 8-) ). Some small progress report (written in whatever style they prefer, I mean, even this thread somewhat works in this regard, once you know the "Who's who") would be the icing on the cake, but if their decision is it would be a waste of time, so be it. But BladeRunner's suggestion wouldn't be much time consuming.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »07.07.06 - 10:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Leo wrote:
    > And while I don't think I'm scaring anyone

You're scaring me. It's really annoying to see people like you
    destroying every interesting thread about MOS future by making silly
    assumptions and asking the same boring questions thousand times over
    just because you don't like the answer.

I think a lot of MOS team devs are communicating very well, including
    cisc, bigfoot, piru, itix, chain-q, henes, and kiero. Even laire for
    his much claimed grumpiness regularly answers questions on the mailing
    list and on #morphos.

Now, the whiners who want to see "everything" got what they wanted for
    Ambient.. but it doesn't appear to have helped one bit, people are
    whining as much as ever and now through some twisted logic, the
    obvious fact that Ambient is improving is taken as proof that the rest
    of MorphOS isn't.
  • »07.07.06 - 11:39
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @Merco:

I did not ask anything. I'm trying to make my point: the point is that people want and need information which is not given or only given after someone ask here why feature x & y isn't there,... This information could be given without any time spent. People from outside the MOS Team would be happy to put it in form for them. And doing this, let's say twice a year wouldn't take much time. But they don't want to make that happen, this is a fact and while I don't agree, I accept. What I do not accept is that they refuse to admit people are asking for that. Simple.

To remind you, just in this thread, we can read:

Guruman:
    Quote:

Some small progress report (written in whatever style they prefer, I mean, even this thread somewhat works in this regard, once you know the "Who's who") would be the icing on the cake

Bladerunner:
    Quote:

That said I also have to agree that some publicity won t hurt.

SoundSquare:
    Quote:

There's a serious gap between MorphOS coders and users about communication. Leo is the one that tries to understand why users don't get any status report. And a lot of MorphOS users i know don't even dare to speak about that, just because they easily get a nasty reputation in the community for complaining or blah blah blah (i know the score).

Maybe you should just change your perspective a bit and understand that we, simple users, are not complaining but hungry for news and status reports (don't you understand/share this passion ?)

Enough ?

Oh, guess what, someone else (another whinner !) created a thread entitled "is this time for a morphos update ?" where we can read: "t would also be good to hear from the MorphOS team how it is coming along, if the time is not right for a release."

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »07.07.06 - 15:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    FrognerseterenMini.jpg

Well it`s summer now :) Without snow, rain and ice :)= It has been arround 28C inn Oslo area now for 1 week ;p now its getting chilled and then they say temps upto 30C next week. In 3-4 weeks the summer will end here ;P I have seen snow in September ;P but when it comes. Like MorphOS, it comes when it comes out from the clouds.

The very first snow is always the best in my life :) I love cold and icy weather :). No rain, just snow and -2C now thats as good as a MorphOS 1.5 update :)

Well, I like the summer also,.. but it ends sometime soon.

MorphOS is a genious work! It really is, and it should by any means be developed further. We have 2 big stars across the ocean with world wide people in their hands. Then there are several small ones and Linux. MorphOS fits so incredible well inbetween all these big OS`s and Linux.

Just continue your work, thats all I am asking you to do! Because with you, there is an good alternative! Its fast, responsive, got multitasking like no other os and got some brilliant pieces of software like AmiNetRadio 4, Songplayer, mplayer, fXpaint, Titler, Blender, MysticView, Ripper, Voodoo-X, SimpleMail, Jabberwocky, Quake 3, VGP 2, OpenTTD and it runs all of my favourite Amiga programs like TvPaint, AmiTradeCenter, iBrowse, AmIRC, WookieChat and WebMaker.

Whatever people say,... I love using MorphOS. Even with my crashes in the past and so on. MorphOS is so fast and responsive, it makes me hooked just because of that. Windows crashes a lot too, but it dosent have the same style of crashing as MorphOS ;=) and it certainly isnt up and running 5 seconds later :)=

Well,.. go for it! Keep up the good work!

Regards,
    Michal, www.amitopia.net & www.radionitro.net
  • »07.07.06 - 16:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

@Bladerunner
    Important is the comparison with Mui and Ambient: Both are progressing too, they are allready usable, but by no way ready. And if 1.5 is in the same state (which i don t doubt) it is simply not in a state to release it now. It would simply have to much quirks here and there, just like Mui and Ambient have.

Don't forget that Ambient and MUI are part of MorphOS as well...

Quote:

@Leo
    Ok. I'll have tried... whatever I say, it is being turned into something negative,... And while I don't think I'm scaring anyone, you're doing a great job at making people become scared of asking for information (wow: I'm evil... MOS-Team is good). Every user that tried to make you communicate was given the same treatment. Fine :)

I really wonder what planet you live on sometimes .. "every user" was "given the same treatment" as you? .. did you even read this and that other thread?

Quote:

Btw, here is a recent post of Velcro, asking for more communication again. He isn't a new user so I'm wondering why he feels the need to ask this... Feel free to ignore him, or make him become an 'evil whinner'...

Aha, so you didn't read the threads then, ok, I see...

Quote:

Oh, guess what, someone else (another whinner !) created a thread entitled "is this time for a morphos update ?" where we can read: "t would also be good to hear from the MorphOS team how it is coming along, if the time is not right for a release."

Thank you for illustrating my point again so nicely .. I think pretty much everyone will have a hard time understanding what you are trying to say here as there were atleast 5 (me included) people from the MorphOS Team that answered that question...

- CISC
  • »07.07.06 - 18:33
    gunne
    CISC,

Nice screenshot You made ! And nice to see an OpenURL choice, whats hiding behind that ? :-)

All:

Concidering this discussion and what comes to my mind.

I tend to visit developer.morphosppc.com then and then. There is 1158 account registered. As Im not myself is a developer, that makes it to 1157. Hmm, maybe there is more who not develop ? But if lets say maybe 10% of them registered are developing something, that makes it too 111,5 developers. Not bad. Actually quite many developers ?
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »07.07.06 - 22:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:

unfortunatly yes bigfoot :-(
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »08.07.06 - 00:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    @Cisc

Quote:

Don't forget that Ambient and MUI are part of MorphOS as well...

Well actually that was the point I tried to make ;)
    If Ambient and Mui (as a part of Mos) are progressing but not in a fully releaseable state,
    it is likely that the rest of Mos is in the same state ;)
  • »08.07.06 - 00:39
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @CISC
    "I exactly said: Every user that tried to make you communicate was given the same treatment".

Leo.
  • »08.07.06 - 01:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

"I exactly said: Every user that tried to make you communicate was given the same treatment".

Yes, that's fairly obvious since I quoted you in full just above, I simply cut it down to underscore below.

But this still doesn't explain wtf you are on about? Why don't you read the threads instead of repeating yourself...

- CISC
  • »08.07.06 - 02:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @ALL

http://www.morphos-team.net/news.html

now there is an official update page :-) :-) :-)
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »08.07.06 - 13:10