MorphOS 2.0 Status
  • Just looking around
    jiffydos
    Hi All,

I am new to the MorphOS world. Sorry if I come across as an annoying newbie. But, I have become very excited about amiga for the first time in a while since reading all about MorphOS 2.0. I am really interested in buying an Efika board and running 2.0 on it.

I cannot seem to find any discussion or announcements about actual status or any guestimated ETAs. Anyone got anything like that?

Thanks!

Dave

[ Edited by jiffydos on 2007/8/3 6:44 ]
  • »19.06.07 - 15:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    ah acill

One of the biggest mos supporters.... :-( sad times indeed. There really should have been a "1.5" release at some point, too long for this release. The community is nearly gone...

however, maybe there is hope for the platform with the new release, we shall see

as far me I still use my peg/morph from time to time for graphics other than that its my x86 box generally. If Sputnik gets more mature and with 2.0 release maybe I can use my peg more full time... but with sites with propreitary standards it makes it tough. Ebay in particular is rough on amiga browsers..
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »17.06.08 - 00:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Yeah, I have a huge amount of respect for what the team has done with MorphOS, but have lost all respect with how they plan and go about using the new releases themselves portray a sense of elitism to the rest of us, intended or not.

Its a bit of a double standard. They say they dont like to talk about what is in the future, what is not finished and give is a "when its done" answer most of the time, yet several of the team take it to shows, demo it. They own it it, and can do as they like but that is what has turned me off on all if this.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »17.06.08 - 04:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Acill:

I feel the same way.. I havent logged into this site for quite some time until recently. I didnt think about MOS until a thread on AO so I went over here to check out what was goin on.
  • »17.06.08 - 04:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

however, maybe there is hope for the platform with the new release, we shall see

i don't see how...

Some morphos team members were claiming that MorphOS 2.0, despite nice features, won't change the way people use MOS, it won't change their lives.
    I just don't see why or how it would make the community alive anymore. MOS 2.0 users will enjoy it for a few weeks until they get used to it then ask for MOS 3.0...

Actually i don't see the situation going any better untill the MoprhOS team gets a proper leader some cash, and a website with regular news/updates.

With such a small and collapsing community it doesn't make sense anymore to sell it. Open-source it, get new devs this way, i'm sure there would be a nice way to make the sources available but control it so there's no forks emerging, or keep it proprietary but make it X86 compliant. MorphOS would be a fantastic OS for this low cost machines mania, there's a real market, MorphOS 2.0 is a nice demo to get some investors, but are the mos team members ambitious enough to make something out of their work ? (like a living for exemple...). This is a fantastic opportunity to bring the amiga technologies back to the world. People are now willing to use any OS as logn as it can perform usual home computing tasks (see the success of the eeePC with Xandros). But i'm afraid MOS devs will miss the train again...

Acill has the best attitude in front of this sad situation no need for crying or complaining, just don't care... (and keep an eye in case there's a miracle).

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2008/6/17 11:02 ]
  • »17.06.08 - 10:59
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    i dont think that MorphOS2.0 will change anything, just have a look at OS4.0, a lot of people thought the classic release would push OS4.0 but it didnt at all.
    We need new software the OS wont do it all alone.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »17.06.08 - 12:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    The release of 2.0 will lead to immediate world domination of course!!!one!!eleven!11!
    ONLY IGNORANT FOOLS CAN IGNORE THAT UNDISPUTABLE FACT!!one11!!eleven!!11!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »17.06.08 - 13:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

The release of 2.0 will lead to immediate world domination of course!!!one!!eleven!11! ONLY IGNORANT FOOLS CAN IGNORE THAT UNDISPUTABLE FACT!!one11!!eleven!!11! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

i don't know what kind of dope you're into but you'd better share it with the community ! ;-)
  • »17.06.08 - 13:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ SoundSquare

Loads of :bananas: of course...

But can you spell irony? Everyone knows that the release of MorphOS 2.0 will not change the situation over night. But it is certainly a pretty needed and necessary step into the right direction. It can turn out to improve the situation a bit. Maybe there will be some new users, some stuff will get released and so forth. I don't see the entire MorphOS situation that negative. At least it's a question of what you expect. Of course there was a time with bigger momentum, but it ain't that bad now. Let's see what we will have got in two weeks.
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »17.06.08 - 15:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

now. Let's see what we will have got in two weeks.

4 more pages on this thread ? :-p
  • »17.06.08 - 17:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    How many active* MorphOS users are there?

Less than 50?

* As in running MorphOS as their main OS..
  • »17.06.08 - 17:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    I don't think the Community is dead as many think, there is a bunch of user's on this Forum, or on others like the german Pegasosforum.de
    where many people are only reading and very seldom posting something.
    But i must admit that the trafic here is lower then 2-3 years befor. And i think with M2 the community will come to life again.
    And we on Pegasosforum.de are in the last phase of starting a project that hopefully will bring more movement in this MorphOS community.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »17.06.08 - 19:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dIGIMAN
    @ThePlayer

Dont want to be to Off Topic but if you mean with project,
    i must say, to bad the bounty bay is not in english only.
  • »17.06.08 - 19:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    We are translating all what's necessary into english.
    As you allready know the Blowfish-Plugin for AMIRC description is in english.
    There will be Threads in english and descriptions, just 2 more Weeks :)
  • »17.06.08 - 21:11
  • Just looking around
    k0rtina
    I have been following this thread for the last few months since i discovered MorphOS.

I have been excited to hear about a new and exciting OS that has the best bits from an Amiga heritage, I cant wait to see what MOS 2.0 has to offer.

In saying all of this, I am a bit concerned... I live in Australia, and I have been looking around to try and source some hardware to run this OS, not an easy task.

I have a few questions, that I dont expect answers to, but I would like the MOS community to consider.

1) What are the future hardware plans?
    I ask this question, because at this stage the best option is looking like a second hand MacMini, and hoping that one day I could run MOS 2.0 on it. EFIKA and Peg seem to be out of the question as their support and availability seems to be non existant.

2) What is with the MOS websites!?
    There seems to be some weird mis-information around, I look on one site that says that people are owed money by Genesi. Another story in other places, and finally this site with activity and a Genesi logo!?

3) Compatibility and Usability?
    So I am excited at the prospect of a user OS that will boot in a few seconds, I might even be able to surf the net and read my email and play my movies. I am facing an uphill battle to obtain hardware, followed by the scheduled release of an OS I have never seen, what are the chances of using a browser with CSS (Firefox?) an Email client (Gmail?) and Network shares access (SMB?).

After all this I still cant wait to try MOS2.0. Good luck finishing the development, and I hope that someone starts thinking about making this elusive OS a bit more mainstream.

You probably have many people with handfuls of cash waiting to try a new and exciting product. The question is can someone sell them something before they all loose interest?
  • »18.06.08 - 07:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

2) What is with the MOS websites!?

Yes, it is unfortunate that the once main MorphOS website belongs to someone who left the development team. The bankrupcy of Thendic is a sad story from a few years ago, and if you're really interrested, you should be able to find some infos about it.

Quote:

3) Compatibility and Usability?

I assume that you do not come from the Amiga background like the most of us, so using MorphOS might be a bit harder for you. There's no Firefox port, but we have a CSS capable browser based on webkit (Safari's engine). There are two good email clients, both should be able to handle a gmail account. There's an smbclient that lets you mount shares as well as a full blown samba package that lets you share local dirs.
  • »18.06.08 - 09:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    @k0rtina

About hardware, well.. that's not an easy question. There are three "machines" that will be supported with MorphOS 2.0, these are Pegasos I, Pegasos II and Efika.

Peg 1 and 2, are discontinued from a quite long time, so getting a new one, would be a miracolous thing. Buying a second hand one, is still possible.

About Efika, it's discontinued, but it has being produced quite recently, so it might be possible to get a new one. I think some people of the forum shells them. Anyway, you must know one thing, that you perhaps have realised in this thread, and is that it's not a real desktop machine. It has little memory, little power, and little power consumption.

Regarding the MacMini support... well, there has being no official word about it to be supported. It might be at some time, or it might not. If you want to get a taste on morphos, my personal recomendation, is you to get an efika. They are cheap, and are a nice piece of hardware. Of course, if you want to avoid frustrations, and all that you might have red about, you should wait to buy it, untill morphos is finally released xD (as the current version of morphos, does not support efika).
  • »18.06.08 - 12:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amiades wrote:

About Efika, it's discontinued, but it has being produced quite recently, so it might be possible to get a new one.

The Efika is *not* discontinued but it is not continously produced either. Once stock is sold and demand still exists a new production run can be started at any time. The parts are availbale, the design meets all current production demands (RoHS).
    --

• »18.06.08 - 13:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    @Zylesea:

You are right. That's what I was planning to write, but finally I messed it up xD.

Anyway, it's possible the next production run to be another efika model (Efika2, or something like that (just guessing)).

[ Edited by amiades on 2008/6/18 15:43 ]
  • »18.06.08 - 15:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    >But it is certainly a pretty needed and necessary step into the right direction.

Is it more or less crash proof now?
  • »18.06.08 - 16:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    T - 12 Days! :-D
  • »18.06.08 - 21:34
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    HenryCase
    @all
    Do you realise that tomorrow will be the 1 year anniversary of the start of this thread? What a good day that would be to release MOS2.0 (hint, hint!). :-D
  • »18.06.08 - 21:54
  • Just looking around
    k0rtina
    @jacadcaps

I do come from an Amiga background. I had an A500 back in the day (my first computer). By the end it was an A500 with 2.04 rom, A590 with a 400meg! hard disk, and an extra 2 megs of ram. This is the machine that captivated my youth, both games and the first real OS.

My best friend had an A1200, 030 16meg, and we spent countless hours tweaking DOpus 4.11 and Workbench and also playing Worms. He also had the most amazing sample collection.

I miss the days of booting an OS in seconds, I find that Linux, XP and Vista are all serious bloatware (yes even Linux).

I am passionate about XBMC at the moment, it is a stunning example of Software done right.

From the video clips I have seen MOS could be the answer to a low power, cheap and fast desktop for HOME computers.

Dont even get me started about the bloatware OS' that are multiuser, you simply dont need one at home.

I very much look forward to testing MOS, I guess that I should get in line for an EFIKA, but will probably wait till MOS 2.0 is released before I part with my hard earned cash. I know the EFIKA is reasonably priced, but it is still an expensive doorstop while we wait for MOS2.0.
  • »19.06.08 - 00:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @magnetic, SoundSquare, Cego, etc

Quote:

Quote:

i don't see how...

Some morphos team members were claiming that MorphOS 2.0, despite nice features, won't change the way people use MOS, it won't change their lives.
    I just don't see why or how it would make the community alive anymore.

Quote:

i dont think that MorphOS2.0 will change anything, just have a look at OS4.0, a lot of people thought the classic release would push OS4.0 but it didnt at all. We need new software the OS wont do it all alone.

I agree with you all. A new OS release by itself won't change a thing in the longer run. Not even new software for it.

What's needed is a commercial purpose for the OS, including a long term goal and a strategy. What's needed is an entrepreneur with visions and money that can take charge of things again, push things forward, create new products, spur developments, gather developers and power users, find markets, and generally spread enthusiasm and a feeling that there actually is a future! Like the situation was a few years ago!

MorphOS has been hanging in limbo ever since the Thendic crisis, which has been far too long now. Things need to get back to the state it was *before* that crisis. And maybe it will, in a not too distant future? I actually think this can happen! For the first time in years I am quite optimistic about the situation! :-)

The first step of course is to have MorphOS 2.0 released. I think that in a sense, MorphOS 2.0 could be considered as an 1.0 version - it's only now it has everything (most of the things at least) included in the package (like networking) from the start, it's only now it has reached a commercial level.

And this is *not* a small thing! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »19.06.08 - 17:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @k0rtina

Quote:

What are the future hardware plans?

No one knows with certainty, but if your'e looking at where Genesi is operating you could perhaps get a clue at least?

The Efika is intended to be more of a performance evaluation and development product than it is a true consumer product. A spring board, something to get going on, rather than a goal by itself.

The Efika is about low power computing (or "just enough" computing as Genesi likes to portrait it). Examples of true consumer products in this segment is for instance LimePC product line and the laptop from the same manufacturer. Genesi is part of this equation. MorphOS perhaps *could* be, but AFAIK nothing in that direction will happen before MorphOS 2.0 is out.

That was the low power part, but Genesi is also aiming for something based on the MPC8610, which is one of the best performing "G4"/e600 CPU ever made, with high memory performance, integrated PCI-express, and an integrated display controller.

Quote:

I ask this question, because at this stage the best option is looking like a second hand MacMini, and hoping that one day I could run MOS 2.0 on it.

That can very well become an option in the future! If you haven't already, have a look at this video! :-)

However, I'd rather have MorphOS on an 8610 machine...

Quote:

EFIKA and Peg seem to be out of the question as their support and availability seems to be non existant.

The Pegasos can indeed only be purchased as second hand, but the Efika is available brand new from many sources (with variations in location, price, terms, and bundled peripheral equipment):

You are an Australian? Try contacting ausPPC, he is a member of this board, and he has this line in his sig:
    "Want an Efika? I've got a bunch of 'em. Plus Pico PSUs & 9250s prefit into 5.25" cases. ausppc@gmail.com"

The (in our community) famous AmigaKit.com lists Efika motherboards in stock.

You can also buy complete systems or Efika motherboards from Vesalia who also has them in stock.

Scandinavian GGS Data was the one who shipped me my Efika. They are very flexible and good to deal with, and can build a system (even pre-installed with Xubuntu (or whatever) Linux) according to your wishes. I don't know whether they have boards in stock, or if they will restock if they haven't, but if you are Scandinavian and want to deal with a "local" dealer you could always try to e-mail gunne@ggsdata.se.

Americans could check out Directron.com, who are currently dumping their stock of Efika motherboards at only $99 a piece, they list them to be in stock. They also sell pre-built systems. Overseas customers and people with no credit card should try to e-mail them instead of using the web shop.

Also, Genesi has now reopened their web store, in time for MorphOS 2.0 release: https://www.genesi-usa.com/store.php
    This is the Efika motherboard built into a custom metal case with Pico PSU, HDD and GFX card. A complete and pre-assembled system in other word. They don't sell standalone motherboards.

Those were the options I can think of from the top of my mind... :-)
  • »19.06.08 - 18:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

HenryCase wrote:
    @all
    Do you realise that tomorrow will be the 1 year anniversary of the start of this thread? What a good day that would be to release MOS2.0 (hint, hint!). :-D

That's today!

@Thread - Happy Birthday!

:bloons:

:-)
  • »19.06.08 - 18:28