New MPlayer in the Wild with DVD Menu!
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    walkero
    Thanks fab. The NOPLANAR did the trick for me and the mplayer is usable. Thanks again. Keep up the good work
  • »14.05.08 - 21:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    I have set the velues back to 10sec. for left and right seek but it still the same, and about which cache you are talking?
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »14.05.08 - 22:28
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Walkero,
    ok, good to know. I would have thought this PLANAR mode would just fail to open (and thus it would fall back to non planar mode in that case), but it seems it's actually "supported" by voodoo3 but is "somewhat" slower. :)

ThePlayer,

with cache, i mean the -cache option (in command line or in conf/config).
  • »14.05.08 - 22:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    I don't use this option, and the problem is gone i checked my AHI-Prefs and there was a wrong setting.

Could it be that MPlayer seek is a bit inaccurate in the video files? Sometimes it seeks 60 or 10 sec. forward or back and sometimes it seeks a bit more or less like 15sec. or 70sec.

Oh and by the way thank you for the great work and support you do.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »14.05.08 - 23:02
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    ThePlayer,

About seeking, it may also depends a bit on the file format. With some formats, i guess you can only seek to key-frames which can harm seek precision.
  • »14.05.08 - 23:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    I've briefly tested this "dvdnav" enabled MPlayer, and it looks amazing. It's a pity that I can't watch regular DVDs, because my G3 Pergasos I hasn't got the needed power.

I'd like to use MPlayer to just inspect files. Is there an option to have all the nice output it has upon reading the file, and then not play anything, but stay there?

I've added a context menu in Ambient for playing DVD. It's added to the "x-internal-device" MIME setting (which, of course, I hace spelled wrong)
    Because of this, it comes up on every volume, be it a DVD or hard disk partition.
    Is there any way for Ambient to tell between a disc and a hard disk, as it tells between all types of files?
    It would be nice if Ambient recognised as different the different type of storage devices, such as hard disk partition (NODOS), volume (perhaps even taking into account its filesystem), CD/DVD, mass storage, etc.
  • »16.05.08 - 07:45
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    jcmarcos,

i'm not too sure what you really want with inspecting files. Wouldn't pause do what you wrote?

About ambient, we already thought about a way to overload some drives depending on their type/name/whatever. But it's not done yet. :)
  • »16.05.08 - 12:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Fab wrote:

i'm not too sure what you really want with inspecting files. Wouldn't pause do what you wrote?

No, I just want the debug output MPlayer spits before starting playback. Alright, I can see it from a shell, but I wanted to use it from Ambient context menu. All I need is an option for MPlayer not starting playback. What if I set some option wrong on purpose, that makes playback impossible?

Quote:

About ambient, we already thought about a way to overload some drives depending on their type/name/whatever. But it's not done yet. :)

Good news! Finding things that are not taken into account is getting harder every day!
  • »16.05.08 - 13:31
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    JcMarcos,

ok, there may be a better solution, but this one works:

mplayer <your file/dvd/whatever> -vo null -ao null -endpos 0

Will make sure it shuts up video and audio, and that it stops at the very beginning.
  • »16.05.08 - 16:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ Fab

I found another bug in MEncoder 1.0_svn-2008.05.11.

This one concerns hardcoding of subtitles in AVI files with MEncoder. This always worked fine until the most recent versions of MEncoder.

I sent you a complete bug report (with pictures) via e-mail. If you don't receive it as the previous one, please let me know and I will post it here.

Thank you very much.
    Powered by PegasosII-G4, MacMini, PowerMac MDD.
  • »16.05.08 - 21:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    Hi all,

I would need to encode about 120 video clips of about 30 secs to an .mp4 file with videocodec = h264 and audiocodec = aac.

Now I tried to do this with the latest version of mencoder:

(MEncoder dev-SVN-r27100-4.2.0 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
    CPU: PowerPC
    120 audio & 252 video codecs)

but without success :-(

Could anyone help me with this please.

BTW someone on Pegasosforum sayed that neither of the codecs are in mencoder...

Or could this be done with FFMpeg?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Christoph
  • »13.09.08 - 07:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    aac aencoder needs external libfaac (mplayer can use lots of other external libs), which is not compiled in.
    Same for h264 which needs libx264.

I think i even gave it a try but i don't remember why i didn't finish it.

And no, ffmpeg won't help, since mplayer basically uses ffmpeg which lacks these encoders.

[ Edited by Fab on 2008/9/13 12:38 ]
  • »13.09.08 - 13:37
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    @fab

Something else: I noticed that newer versions of MPlayer (like dev-SVN-r27100-4.2.0) tend to crash while trying to play incomplete files (movies still being dloaded for ex.) while <1.0rc2-2.95.4 have no problems at all. Any ideas?
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »13.09.08 - 14:03
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    No, but maybe mplayer/ffmpeg became more sensitive to incomplete frames.
  • »13.09.08 - 14:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    @ Fab

thanks for feedback :-)

So what do you think, could you make a try and compile it in it, that would be great, not just only because I would need it but because the h264 seems to be (become) a future orientated video format... dont know about aac?

Anyway, would be great...

Regards

Christoph
  • »13.09.08 - 19:54
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    @fab

Mkay, but would/could that also explain mplayer freezing/locking the system when crashing at playing incomplete movies?
    ---
  • »13.09.08 - 22:01
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Stevo,

i don't see any other explanation at least. And it's not really surprising you can crash when playing something incomplete, really (especially from say.. a file being torrent-ed :)). In any case, if you have such a sample, feel free to send, and i'll tell you where it crashes so you can submit it to ffmpeg/mplayer devs. :)

RMS,

I gave a try to faac and x264, they seem to compile and work. I'll integrate that in mplayer and we'll see.

[EDIT] Ok, it works. Encoding h264 (with altivec enabled) is kinda slow though: 4fps :)

[ Edited by Fab on 2008/9/13 22:48 ]
  • »13.09.08 - 23:34
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    fab,

heh, will send you something next time mplayer crashes on incomplete files but using 1.0rc2-2.95.4 to play them for now, so might be a while ;)
    ---
  • »13.09.08 - 23:43
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    New version based on 13.09.2008 svn (new codecs, bug fixes and so on....). And added support for x264 and aac encoding.

Here:
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/mplayer/MPlayer-1.0-svn-2008.09.13.altivec.lha
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/mplayer/MPlayer-1.0-svn-2008.09.13.lha
  • »15.09.08 - 15:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
    rms
    @ Fab

This is really GREAT :-) THANK YOU VERY MUCH that you could this new version so quickly!

I have a question though, because I tried to encode a video and I always get an error that there is no ratecontrol method specified and then that the x264_encoder_open failed and FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver

Could you please tell me what your command line was?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Christoph
  • »16.09.08 - 12:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    for a very basic one:

mencoder <source file> -o <dest file> -ovc x264 -oac faac -x264encopts bitrate=512

But i strongly suggest you look at x264 (and aac) encoding options, there are really many of them. Or try googling "ovc x264" for examples. Note that libx264 API/options is not stable, so many examples might be obsolete now. My libx264 is based on daily snapshot from 13 september or so, for reference.
  • »16.09.08 - 15:53
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    ...and the new version seems to eliminate the crashing on skipping in broken/unfinished streams prob. Nice :-)
    ---
  • »16.09.08 - 20:17
  • rms
    rms
    @ Fab

Thanks for your command line suggestion, it works fine enough for me. I know that there are a lot of options because I already had a look on the internet.

I have still a small problem I think because I get a warning that the output file format is AVI and not MP4.

Having had a look at mencoder -of help it seems that .mp4 is not available. Could you do anything about that also? This would really be of GREAT HELP.

And, as I have to encode over 120 videos, is there any way to specify several files at one time to convert?

Thanks again very much for help!

Fab, BTW hopefully we can meet at the "Colmar-Multimedia" in October. Yomgui and me will be there from Friday to Sunday. Would be GREAT.
  • »17.09.08 - 08:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

And, as I have to encode over 120 videos, is there any way to specify several files at one time to convert?

As always, when all else fails, List LFORMAT is your friend...

- CISC
  • »17.09.08 - 09:02
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    RMS,
    To encode in mp4 format, use: -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4

And if you need to encode several files, i don't know if mencoder offers something to do this, but as CISC told, "list lformat" or some unix shell "for i in *.whatever; do .. done" just do the job wonderfully. :)

PS: i don't know yet if i'll be available for that event. But it would surely be nice to meet there.

[ Edited by Fab on 2008/9/17 13:08 ]
  • »17.09.08 - 14:06
    Profile Visit Website