MOS 2.0
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Any real news (other than "when its done") ? Will it run on the new EFIKA?

[ Edited by TheMagicM on 2007/10/23 11:56 ]
  • »16.10.07 - 21:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    morphy.png

Use your morph ;) install latest mui and amirc etc.. I feel its much more stable now with the latest muibeta for some reason.
  • »18.10.07 - 15:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    No more IBrowse in my life! :-D
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »18.10.07 - 16:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • tom
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    tom
    I'm using most of the time Bars&Pipes, Pagestream, Ibrowse, Yam, AmigaBase and not to forget MldDonkey.
    And besides that a lot of other small programs like Poly-organiser and of course MPlayer. I still don't like windows-computers. My Pegasos serves me very well in the things I need. Fast and I know allways what I or the computer is doing......

regards Tom
  • »18.10.07 - 20:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Linux on the Pegasos can also be responsive, it's just a matter of setting it up well. I'm running Debian testing/unstable and it's pretty fast. Debian also has more packages than Ubuntu (Ubuntu dropped PPC support) and most x86 packages are also available for PPC.

A full blown Ubuntu install is nice but slow, there are lots of services you don't really need and there's alternative/faster software you could use to speed it up. And don't use desktop managers like KDE or Gnome. Window managers like Fluxbox and Openbox are very fast, light and good alternatives.

Another option is a netinstall, that's what I always do with Debian on my systems. Just install the bare minimum (deselect all) and setup your system from there. That way you are in charge of what gets installed and it's easier to keep your setup lean.

Here are some packages I use:
    sylpheed (a great mailer)
    iceape (web browser)
    leafpad (simple texteditor)
    pcmanfm, rox filer (filemanagers)
    abiword and gnumeric (GTK versions, a hell of a lot faster than OO)
    rtorrent (a very fast and light torrent client)
    gamix (audio mixer)
    aterm (a very configurable terminal)
    xarchiver (fast unpacker)
    comix (nice comic reader, yes I'm a manga addict ;)
    mirage/gqview (fast picture viewer)
    mplayer/vlc
    slim/wdm/xdm (nice and light display managers)

These are just examples of faster apps, there are lots more. I only use GTK2 apps, you better stick to one graphical interface to keep it fast. And I try to only use apps without gnome/kde dependencies.

There's a lot you can do to speed up your Linux experience on PPC and x86. There are great tutorials on the Debian and Ubuntu forums.

Just my 2c.

BTW when I'm using Openbox on the Pegasos with iceape, sylpheed, aterm and rox filler running there are only 32 running tasks, compare that with a full blown Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Suse install ;)

[ Edited by Toto on 2007/10/18 22:17 ]
  • »18.10.07 - 22:04
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 19.08.2011 - 16:04 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »18.10.07 - 23:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    @Amilord

It sounds like for MOS you are missing
    - a bittorrent client that works
    - MSN (I use Pidgin/Polyglot)
    - Office suite
    - Firefox

Most of those programs are bloat. Polyglot is excellent, I just wish that it could support other languages (Unicode text is blank).

The way I see it, you have the best of both worlds. Just optimise your Linux system as much as possible.
  • »19.10.07 - 01:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    Hey. I use TvPaint as I find it very useful paint program. Its a really great upgrade from Deluxe Paint. If you have used Dpaint a lot :) TvPaint got some of Dpaints shortcuts and it feels freely. Love it.

Also, I use fXpaint for effects etc. fXpaint is brilliant aswell! What I love with MorphOS, is that everything runs so fast. Try converting and use macosx or windows for a week or two. .. then jump back to MorphOS and you really feel a adrenaline rush ;) Not as much as if your in a roller coaster, but you suddendly feel that everything runs so much faster :)

I am waiting for mos 2.0 aswell :) but I have to say that Ambient have become a very useful desktop system. It`s got the Magellan feeling over it, but also got MUI graphics and support for 32bit icons +++

fXpaint:
    http://home.powertech.no/micbergs/grabb/fxpaint.jpg

MorphOS on Dell 22" Widescreen LCD monitor:
    http://home.powertech.no/micbergs/grabb/morphoswide.jpg

My MorphOS desktop atm:
    http://home.powertech.no/micbergs/grabb/mos121007.png

[ Edited by MorphDelf on 2007/10/19 10:04 ]
  • »19.10.07 - 10:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    Hi MorphDelf
    Which resolution do you use on that Dell Monitor?
    Is it easy to set up the screenmode?
    and finally, how many inches has it got?
    Congratulations for your nice desktop.
    ;-)
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »19.10.07 - 11:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    diezi7
    well, sorry it's obvious it's 22"
    I woke up 3 minutes ago.... :-P
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1,25 dual (Registered)
    Pegasos II G4 (not working)
    Powerbook G4 1.0 15"
    -=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=
    http://amigalandia.blogspot.com.es/
  • »19.10.07 - 11:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    The resolution is 1680x1050 .. You have to tweak with ModeEdit ;) You have to define 1680x1050 and make it as a new 24bit mode.

I had some problems with VGA mode in 1680x1050, but that might be fixed in MOS 2.0. Well, DVI in 1680x1050 works fine! Its very good to look at.

I just dont know, but there is something with AmigaOS or MorphOS way in handling monitors. None of my monitors have any dead pixels.

My LG monitor from 2001 still works and have no pixel errors at all. Same with my Dell monitor from February this year. Either its the Amiga monitor drivers, or the way AmigaOS/MorphOS uses the screen. Maybe the screenswitching helps the monitor going strong? I mean when you change from Ambient in 1680x1050 to lets say OpenTTD which I play to 1024x768. The screen flickers.. and that might help the screen refreshing its pixels somehow...

Would be cool if this was the case :) and btw.. 3mins ago.. well. I slept 4 hours ..
  • »19.10.07 - 12:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    Well... I can't understand really some people, that they are saying if MorphOS 2.0 doesn't come before Christmas or in 5 months time, they will quit.

These moments are the best to show to the people what a really Amigan you are. If you start to say, I am tired of waiting, I feel limited, it's very slow etc, then I don't blame you, but you are not a really Amigan for me. I don't like threats, I know that our market is tiny, and to achieve some goals about our loved system, you must have PATIENCE.

I was waiting for whole 10 years (After A1200), to have again an Amiga (like?) machine, so I can stand it the way it is right now. If something bad happens, I will not get angry, we will be friends again.

So, for me, after 13 years since Commodore went bankrupt, and the dead of Amiga... Who said is dead? I can see, and thanks to many people who love Amiga, that till now Amiga...

... is alive and TICKING!!!
  • »19.10.07 - 13:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    I use it for my daily use. Sputnik and ibrowse for browsing. Sure its a bit dull to use 2 browsers, but it works :) also using AmIRC for irc.. then simplemail for mail and OpenTTD for gaming!... If I need serious gaming, I jump over to my PS3 ...

MorphOS usage is so comft. compared to other OS`es. When you launch a program, it starts.. When you select something, it dosent lagg.. When wanting to watch a movie,.. movie starts when you click and not in seconds later.

Those seconds might not matter, but I feel its right to use something that works when I use the OS.
  • »19.10.07 - 13:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dIGIMAN
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Limited in what way exactly?

Well the most what i miss is a
    sound redirector like nalle puh for OS4.

Also a bootable/resident Ram Disk would save me lots of
    work and a way to dissable trance for certain
    apps (DC Telnet), so that i dont
    have to do that in scripts.

I cant know if MOS2 will change this ofcourse and
    i know there has to be a feature freeze,
    that we dont wait forever.
    Its just hard to know that OS4 has all that stuff above
    (i think so)
  • »20.10.07 - 17:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

a way to dissable trance for certain

We prefer to fix bugs instead of working around them, if you just gave a detailed bugreport on the ML, maybe we'd have a chance of doing that... :P

- CISC
  • »21.10.07 - 05:29
    hooligan
    Quote:

koan wrote:
    @Amilord

It sounds like for MOS you are missing
    - a bittorrent client that works
    - MSN (I use Pidgin/Polyglot)
    - Office suite
    - Firefox

Most of those programs are bloat. Polyglot is excellent, I just wish that it could support other languages (Unicode text is blank).

for BitTorrent try Beehive
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »21.10.07 - 11:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    "for BitTorrent try Beehive"

beehive is not bad, but far from a really usable state. a lot of trackers and torrents dont work with it... but its the best on mos right now.
    we need transporter with a nice gui - os4 has a new port with gui, its looks really nice!
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »21.10.07 - 12:04
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Can you give examples? Seems odd as I tested Beehive for many days and didnt have any problems. PM some torrents please.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »21.10.07 - 12:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    uhh, sorry, i cant. it was a long time ago when i use beehive the last time (it was around when beehive 0.2 came out). now i use utorrent on my winbox.
    as i remember there was some current tv shows what i wanted to dl via beehive, but the torrents werent work at all (waited for an hour to get peers without success...). then i booted linux, start a torrent client (dont remember which one,sorry) with the same torrent and the dl started immidiately. of course i've dled some stuff with beehive also, but its slower and less reliable then other clineton other platforms. anyway, i will check it out again and try to provide some non-working torrents.
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »21.10.07 - 14:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Amilord
    @sadddam
    +1

I am using beehive, and there is really many problems with it.
    1) some torrents have no peers (but if you try with a client under linux it has)
    2) ok, everything seems to be ok, you have peers and you are downloading.....but at a certain percent, everything stops and will never finish.

...so yes beehive is cool sure, but when it works, and as for now it can not replace any graphical client on any platform (even a simple one like the one integrated in Gnome)

Maybe it is possible to try OS4 client with os4emu ? never tried it, but is it still developed?
  • »21.10.07 - 14:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dIGIMAN
    Quote:

CISC wrote:
    Quote:

a way to dissable trance for certain

We prefer to fix bugs instead of working around them, if you just gave a detailed bugreport on the ML, maybe we'd have a chance of doing that... :P
    - CISC

That is a postive way to see the things.
    This ofcourse only makes sense, if the fixes are public.

You are right, i may should have done this.
    I didnt do it, as a MOS Dev (itix) gave me the idea at the beginng, that it could be trance.
    I had the feeling the problem may be known:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4926&forum=9
  • »22.10.07 - 11:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    I've used mldonkey for bittorrent, and never had any problems.

I guess that the official bittorrent client might be ok, but it has many problems which makes it practically useless. Likely those problems don't appear on 1.5/2.0, as the developers themselves seem to be happy with it :-)
    Probably slightly more compatible than mldonkey, but far too problematic to be useful for anything.

Also tried ctorrent. That's quite useless client, but probably fine for random small downloads. I think Beehive is also based on it (thus sharing the same problems)
  • »22.10.07 - 13:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    MLDonkey works like a charm for me as well (though I have noticed download speed suffers if you're sharing a lot of (downloaded) files).

About BeeHive: When I tried it out, most files I downloaded where damaged to a certain extend. No clue why, but it might just be me ofcourse ;).
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »22.10.07 - 19:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dIGIMAN
    Quote:

Stevo wrote:
    MLDonkey works like a charm for me as well (though I have noticed download speed suffers if you're sharing a lot of (downloaded) files).

It works nice for me too, only that the webinterface isnt accessable after a while.
    I guess this is normal, read somebody else also has this
  • »22.10.07 - 22:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

About BeeHive: When I tried it out, most files I downloaded where damaged to a certain extend. No clue why, but it might just be me ofcourse ;).

Most likely becouse it's based on ctorrent :-P
  • »23.10.07 - 12:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Maybe it is possible to try OS4 client with os4emu ? never tried it, but is it still developed?

yes, transmission for is4 is actively developed, as i know it is not released to the public yet (maybe it is for now, dunno). but it looks really nice with osx icons and unfortunately with reaction gui (harder to port to mos).
    know nothin about how does it function with torrents...

about mldonkey, its really difficult to set up, isnt it? is it the one with a browser-based gui or has a standalone gui?

anyway, when beehive worked, it always dowloaded correct files without problems for me, no corrupted files. when it worked.....
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »23.10.07 - 16:12
    Profile Visit Website